Just Another Pricing Issue I Don't Understand

Leo Jay

It seems strange to me that there can be as little as $50.00 pp rate difference between an OV Guarantee and a Balcony Guarantee, but a rate difference of $300pp or more between Balcony categories. Why is that?

You wouldn't be happy with the answer I just gave my 2 year old nephew would you?? I told him a very detailed answer...

Because they said so :p

What ship are you referring to??

There is no easy answer. Now, i haven't seen a $50 difference between an OV guarantee and BL guarantee... so I really don't know. If you give an example, maybe we can help??? If you are looking at today's pricing, keep in mind that there is a big sale today, certain categories more than others. If this is just in general, give some examples...

You wouldn't be happy with the answer I just gave my 2 year old nephew would you?? I told him a very detailed answer...

Because they said so :p

What ship are you referring to??

There is no easy answer. Now, i haven't seen a $50 difference between an OV guarantee and BL guarantee... so I really don't know. If you give an example, maybe we can help??? If you are looking at today's pricing, keep in mind that there is a big sale today, certain categories more than others. If this is just in general, give some examples...

On the Sept 1 Legend sailing, OVGs are $849 and BLGs are $899. We're in a BLG, and it's a great price, so I don't care either way, and I'm not complaining or anythng -- I'm just curious about the logic. Last year we could have upgraded from OVG to BLG for just $100pp more and for some reason, we decided to be frugal, but it was a great deal we passed up. Just seems like there would be a larger difference, especially given the range among BL categories; conceptually, a balcony is a great perk -- so it seems like it would come at more of a premium, even for a guarantee...

Spirit Class ship lots of crappy balconies. The only class of ship that has multiple balcony classes on a single deck.

i agree. Some of those balaconies have life boat blocking almost the entire view and sometimes you will actually get a better view with an OV room.

Spirit Class ship lots of crappy balconies. The only class of ship that has multiple balcony classes on a single deck.

Stop it Don! :eek:

You are scareing me, I thought a lot of you guys like Spirit class ships the most.

( I am booked in room 6263, did I mess up? )

BL/OV category cabins are assigned after all of the "guarantee" cabins have been assigned. Therefore, the risk of getting a less desirable cabin is much greater...

Huh? I thought if you purchase a particular category (as opposed to a guarantee), you're necessarily selecting a particular cabin... not so? If not, why WOULDN'T you elect to choose a particular cabin? Isn't that the main reason to pay the premium?

Huh? I thought if you purchase a particular category (as opposed to a guarantee), you're necessarily selecting a particular cabin... not so? If not, why WOULDN'T you elect to choose a particular cabin? Isn't that the main reason to pay the premium?

I think since you referred to BL or OV that you meant a GTY. Usually you refer to particular cabins (on the Legend) as 6A for oceanview or 8A - 8I for balconies. The Spirit class ships only have oceanview cabins on the Riveria deck (Deck 1) I believe. There are many more balcony cabins than oceanview. There are obstructed oceanview (Cat 5A) and obstructed view balconies (Cat 7A). Since there are many balconies to fill, the rate difference is lower than on other classes of ships.

Well, I had an inside gurantee, and I just took a 7A guarantee for just $10 more. I know that's an obstructed view balcony. but I figured for $10 it was worth it. And I believe we have much more of a chance of getting upgraded to a better balcony room (than if we stayed at inside gty.)

We're gonna be on the Miracle, which is 80% OV rooms and 80% of them are balconies... all things considered, I feel good about my chances, what do ya think?

I think since you referred to BL or OV that you meant a GTY. Usually you refer to particular cabins (on the Legend) as 6A for oceanview or 8A - 8I for balconies. The Spirit class ships only have oceanview cabins on the Riveria deck (Deck 1) I believe. There are many more balcony cabins than oceanview. There are obstructed oceanview (Cat 5A) and obstructed view balconies (Cat 7A). Since there are many balconies to fill, the rate difference is lower than on other classes of ships.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess it somewhat makes sense that the OVG/BLG differential might be smaller if they have a lot of balconies to fill up... but I still don't understand ClothesHorseJoe's statement that GTY OV & BL cabin assignments are made before other assignments. Wouldn't anyone who didn't have a guarantee have selected a particular cabin already? If not, why wouldn't they have?

... but I still don't understand ClothesHorseJoe's statement that GTY OV & BL cabin assignments are made before other assignments. Wouldn't anyone who didn't have a guarantee have selected a particular cabin already? If not, why wouldn't they have?

I believe that ClothesHorseJoe's fingers were moving faster than his thinking at that particular moment. I don't know what he MEANT to say, but what he DID say didn't make sense. Well, we all have those days in the world of fingers and brains!

Archived