Replacing the Majesty out of Charleston?

duncanmaria

They are getting rid of all their small ships without replacements, so maybe nothing?

I think this is also the end for NCL's pure Bermuda itineraries.

The big ships can only go to King's wharf on Bermuda, can't go to St. George or Hamilton.

The only way you'll see bermuda on NCL is on big ships pulling into King's wharf for a single day.

From speculation, it appears the Wind will be transferred next year to Star Cruises, with the Sun replacing her as the fourth ship in Hawaii, along with the Pride of Hawaii, Pride of America, and Pride of Aloha. There were reports that the Crown and Majesty are being sold to Fred Olsen and Louis lines respectively, both ships departing after the 2007 Bermuda summer season. When the Gem is compeleted in late 2007, the Dawn will be moved to Miami, implying the Gem and the Spirit will be stationed in New York City in late 2007. Assume in late 2007 the Star will still be stationed in Los Angeles, and the Dream will still be stationed in Houston, this leaves only the Jewel and Pearl left to cover New Orleans and Charleston. Maybe, NCL may choose to not station a ship in one or both of these ports, and sail out of Miami instead.

We'll know more soon when the Fall intineraries are posted sometime this month or early next month. But it does appear if the sale rumours are true, the week long Bermuda intineraries will end at the conclusion of the 2007 summer Bermuda season. More than likely the South American two week cruises may end in early 2007 too.

This is speculation.... My crystal ball is still cloudy.

The other rumour is that NCL will soon place a ship for a much larger ship or ships for delivery starting in 2010. You would figure that any post Panamax sized vessels would be stationed in New York City or Miami, freeing up ships for longer if not year round sailings out of other ports instead of half a year.

It would be very disappointing if NCL abandons Charleston as a homeport. Majesty cruises out of Charleston consistantly sell out. The port can also handle much larger ships. Carnival sails the Victory, I belive, out of Charleston twice a year to sell-out crowds.

what is a real shame is the loss of the smaller ships that can dock in St. George & Hamilotn:confused: ..You may still get the 7 days in Bermuda but it would only be from the Dock Yard and before I get flamed it is a nice port but I feel the other 2 are nicer..I am so glad that I am booked on the Crown for July of 07..For one of her last saillings

I hope NCL doesn't abandon Charleston or Boston as a homeport. Even if the Majesty is lost and the summer cruises to Bermuda become a wistful memory, I think they could still sucessfully sell larger ships for the Carribean season out of Charleston and perhaps work in Canada or Eastcoast/Bahamas cruises out of Boston in the summer. NCL has done a great job in the past few years to bring cruising to these homeports and is developing a loyal local following in both cities. Even if they did the unthinkable and ruin the seven day Bermuda cruises, I think they could remain very sucessful in both markets with another ship. I do know that there will be some sad to see the Majesty and the Bermuda cruises go away, myself included.

The silver lining in the clouds is 2010-2011 when NCL hopefully receives the larger ships. Considering the rumours, I can see the Gem and one of these new larger ships stationed out of New York, freeing the Spirit for either Boston or Charleston. And with another larger ship going to Miami, this should free the Dawn for another city. During this time I suspect the Dream will transfer to Star Cruises. Who would have thought the Dream with all of her engine problems last year would the the last of the old ships to go (that is if the rumours are true)?

But in the next few years with the Sun moving to Hawaii, New Orleans or Houston maybe without a ship too. That's four cities with three available ships: Dream, Pearl, and Jewel when the Dawn moves to Miami and with the Gem and Spirit in New York.

In the meantime, before the new substantially larger ships arrive, there's no requirements that NCL will sail the Spirit and the Gem year round out of New York, or depart an entire cruise season from just one port. It's possible the Spirit could reposition from New York during the off peak winter season, especially if the Dawn returns for the summer season. A month's or two worth of cruises from Philadelphia, Charleston, and Boston isn't out of the question. When the Jewel returns to Miami from Europe, it could then reposition to New Orleans and Houston, much like the Sun reposition half way through the season last winter, from Houston to Miami. Even just half a season of cruises is better than no season at all.

I think NCL has been expermenting with itineraries at more locations than just Bermuda during this past year.

Archived