Mexican Riviera Beaches

Wayneair

Mexican Riviera Beaches

I just returned from a 10 night Mexican Riviera aboard Celebrity and it was great. I am a total beach person and with every cruise, I find my way to a great beach. However for as much as I enjoyed the Mexican Riviera, the beaches there are very different from the Caribbean. The water is not as blue and the sand is not as white. Most of the bars on the beaches will not charge for beach chairs as long as you are drinking or eating.

Cabo San Lucas: Take a water taxi over to Medano Beach. Do not purchase the water taxi roundtrip because you will have to wait for the exact taxi to return to pick you up. Just pay 1 way and pay to go back on another taxi. The water taxis are frequent and will not have a problem going back. Any spot long the beach is good. Many places with bars and restaurants are there on the beach.

Mazatlan: After you exit the pier area, ask for directions to the water taxi over to Stone Island. It’s about a 2 – 3 block walk from the pier. The trip will cost $2 roundtrip. Once there, walk down the beach until you find a place called “Letty’s”. You will see a volleyball net set up and rainbow colored umbrellas. Coronas will cost about $1.20 each, and no charge for chairs and umbrellas. Letty is great and her family will take great care of you.

Acapulco: More difficult to find a good beach. You can water taxi over to a beach called Isla La Roqueta. You will need to take a taxi from the pier to the water taxi. It’s about a 10 minute ride. HOWEVER here is the caution – ask for a taxi that will take you directly there. Otherwise you will be on a 45 minute nerve racking boat ride where you see nothing but statues under the water. To me, I was not impressed. The beach there is OK, but go with good friends and enjoy the beer at a low cost.

Zihuatanejo: This was a really pretty stop and a very nice beach. It’s called Playa Las Gatas. The water here is almost like the Caribbean. Once on the pier, get a water taxi over to the beach. You can pay roundtrip for the water taxi but keep your receipt for the return trip. Once here, pick any spot on the beach. Plenty of restaurants and bars, and similar to the others, as long as you are drinking/ eating, you can have a beach chair and umbrella.

Puerto Vallarta: Did not hit any place here, but a number of hotels will allow you to use their beach and facilities as long as you buy stuff. I was told some hotels will charge $20, but the $20 will be used as a credit to buy food and drinks.

The ocean currents are also stronger in Mexico. If traveling with little ones, be very careful.

Adios and enjoy.

Hi everyone

I'm just back from the Mex.Riviera too and we went to Mendano beach also.It was a really nice beach a little cooler than the Carribean.We rented an umbrella and chairs on the beach.The beach and water was very clean but the beach vendors must have come in bus loads there was a steady stream of them all day long.We took a water taxi to the beach then a regular taxi to Cabo Wabo.Maybe could have walked if it wasn't for the 2 buckets of Pacificos.

I thought Stone Island was okay, not as many people as Mendano.

Went horse back riding in PV had a great time there too.

• 5 months later...
Hi everyone

I'm just back from the Mex.Riviera too and we went to Mendano beach also.It was a really nice beach a little cooler than the Carribean.We rented an umbrella and chairs on the beach.The beach and water was very clean but the beach vendors must have come in bus loads there was a steady stream of them all day long.We took a water taxi to the beach then a regular taxi to Cabo Wabo.Maybe could have walked if it wasn't for the 2 buckets of Pacificos.

I thought Stone Island was okay, not as many people as Mendano.

Went horse back riding in PV had a great time there too.

Moving back to the top of the list.

Thanks wayneair for your post! I think in cabo i'd like to do a snorkel excursion.Then if we have time go to medano beach glad to hear you enjoy it?Also in mazatlan i've herd alot about stone island thanks for details about lettys thats what i've been planning to do there:) is chill on the beach.Beach/bar is all i need thanks again for post .

If your looking for beaches, try Playa de oro in Manzanillo,,,40 miles of pristine undeveloped beach, Only 40 minutes from the city, 1 hour from the ship, and you will find yourself truly alone.. (Nude sunbathing comes to mind)

Its a bit of an adventure to get there and do try to use one of the reputable tour operators to take you there. Havent heard of any problems with cruisers...but would hate to be the first. Just so you know there are no bars, salespersons, bathrooms,, a beach as god intended.. so bring your own supply of everything.

I'm interested in the beaches south of PV like Playa de Mismaloya, Boca de Tomatlan, Yepala, Las Animas or Quimixto. Has anyone had great experiences here?

How long to get there and how to get there? Will have wife and 6 & 9 yr old with me.

Thanks

Ship Dude

2nd post - 1st one did not move the post up the board.

I'm interested in the beaches south of PV like Playa de Mismaloya, Boca de Tomatlan, Yepala, Las Animas or Quimixto. Has anyone had great experiences here?

How long to get there and how to get there? Will have wife and 6 & 9 yr old with me.

Thanks

Ship Dude

Ship Dude,

Mismaloya is just South of PV and a cheap Taxi ride...

I've been to Yelapa (note correct spelling) and it was a little bit more of an adventure...It was several years ago, so I don't know if this has changed, but...There wer no roads going there...We took a "boat trip" over and the boat made most of us sea sick...When we got to the pier in Yelapa, there were several power boat operators offering rides back to PV...

My guess is you'd have to hire one of these guys to take you over...

We did have a very nice lobster meal at a place right on the beach...and the setting was very attractive...

Last time down, we did a shore excursion that included a beach BBQ on a private beach well north of town...but the currents were so strong they advised everyone NOT to go into the water...

I've also stayed at (and therefore used the beach at) the Fiesta Americana Hotel and it was very nice...and they had guards shooing away most of the vendors...I'm not certain if some of these hotels may not offer use of their facilities for a "day use charge"...My wife and daughters sid this one time through the ship's excursions...

Good luck...

• 1 month later...

Updating my original post. I just returned from another Mexican Riviera cruise and I must say, cruising the Mexican Riviera in November is way better than April. The water was much warmer in November and more clear.

Also, I just want to reiterate going to Stone Island while in Mazatlan. We were a group of 11 and it was much cheaper on our own. Holland Amercia offered the tour for $70 per adult and $40 per child. For our group, Stone Island would have cost $620 through the ship, but we did it on our own for $120. We hung out at a place called Letys and we ate and had tons of beer. The food there is great. All hand made from scatch and it was the best. Lety and her son will take care of you.

We did PV, Mazatlan and Cabo. Didn't care for the beaches that much in PV & Cabo but the beach in Mazatlan on Stone Island is out of this world. 12 Miles of golden sandy beaches that is bordered by coco trees for as far as the eyes can see! Not many people either and not one single hotel. Our group of 8 booked in advance for horseback riding with Miguel , super people and we ate at Molokay on the Island. Big hand-sized jumbo shrimp. (fresh of course). We will be going back soon.

CruzinPam

Cost of shrimp at the restaurants on Stone Island is much cheaper than like The Office in Cabo. I think everything is cheaper than Cabo.

There is two ways to go by ferry boat the shortest way is to the left when going out the gate in Mazatlan not the one to the right by the Navy Yard.

Archived