Oosterdam - The Sofa Bed - Is it comfortable?

I posted about this previously and got some responses. Now that it's closer to sail date (next week) I was wondering exactly how does the couch in the S suite category turn into a bed. Does it slide a little further out from the wall and drop down? I just don't know. The woman who is going to be sleeping on it is only 4'11" and very petite so I'm sure she'll easily fit, but will she actually be comfortable? I imagine the steward when he comes in every night to turn down the other two beds, makes up the couch. Will he put foam or something on it to make it soft and comfortable? I just can't imagine how it will be transformed into something that will be nice to sleep on all week. Guess it's my guilt coming out since I've got one of the two twin beds and I know they are heaven to sleep on with the comfy duvets, etc. I don't mean to belabor the point, but will she be content on it? I certainly hope so. I want her to have a great time since it's her first cruise. I'd love to hear from those who have slept on it and do they put foam or something over it? Thanks so much!

Lauderdalebob:

I don't know if this will be much help, but on the S-class ships, the top of the sofa pulled up and toward you to make a bed. It was comfortable enough, but in my experiences with this "triple" accomodation, the bed was left as a bed for the entire cruise...not returned to the sofa configuration each day. This made seating space in kind of short supply. Maybe if we had asked the steward to make it back into a sofa everyday he would have. We just didn't ask. And it could be the Vista-class ships are configured differently...hopefully better!

My MIL slept on the sleeper sofa a week and a half ago and said it was very comfortable. We were in an S on the Oosterdam. Two cushions are removed and the frame/mattress pulls up, unfolds and rests on the floor like a sofa sleeper at home would. The steward opens it at turndown every evening.

Thanks for the sofa bed info everyone, especially jhannah since you were on the ship just recently. Since we are in 5187 and it's got the bigger verandah but I know from our last trip that the room is actually tighter than a side S cabin (also from a previous trip) that the sofa bed I'm sure we'll want made up every day back into the sofa configuration. As it was, 5187 I love but this will be a first for 3 in there for us and I know the space between the beds and the sofa was much less and there did seem to be one too many club chairs in the room even when there was just two of us last October on the Zuiderdam. Someone had mentioned on a previous posting that if we asked the room steward to remove it he would have. We didn't the last time, but we may this time once we see how we all fit in there. Either way, I'm sure we're all going to have a fabulous time. Thanks for the speedy input!

Happy Sailing!

We have no experience with the sofa in S suites as beds and hope they are comfortable - because we find them uncomrfortable as sofas.

As far as leaving them as beds all day, I'm sure your steward will gladly return them to sofas each day if that is what you want - and I suggest you request that.

Lauder....

The sofa bed is interesting. (I came back to pick up a forgotten item and the steward was finishing up the sofabed.) After the bed it made, a cover is zipped up over it and then the bed is flipped over so the leather sofa side is up. It was made up each morning so you do have the sofa to use all day.

We had an aft S cabin 7133 on the O last December. They are definitely smaller than a regular S cabin - but the verandah and view more than make up for it. We had 3 in the cabin - and I'm always the couch girl. I'm 5'2" and found it to be very comfortable. I've attached a small photo of the sofa - excuse the mess, we were in the process of disembarking. There are also views from our deck of the others below (including 5187)and a partial view of the verandah. You'll have a great time and love the cabin. It's a bit of a haul to the Neptune lounge, but that's ok. Enjoy.

725951783_Oosterdamsofabed.jpg.221bb2dad94c908c6b8591da2353e8ff.jpg

356566773_viewfromdeckof7133-Oosterdam.jpg.9a1960c50404f309cd23f3bde5f999d1.jpg

1779290816_partialviewofverandah7133-Oosterdam.jpg.b9c5f021f7dd3400820bf8e72e8f4e4a.jpg

It looks like the aft sofa beds in S are different from the side S cabins. We were in a side S with my mom and she had no complaints about the bed. It was the typicla pull down sofa bed. In a verandah cabin on Ryndam my daughter slept on a sofa bed that looked more like the one in the reply above and we had to buy her an egg crate mattress at our first stop.

Archived