S&S bill hit my credit card today

jeepgirl30

I had a couple problems during the cruise with accounting issues. One was an extra bottle of wine added to our account and the other was a mystery "tax" for $744 on a 4.95 drink. At one point I was told it was a tip. Ugh. Both times I had to fill out a form and was told the accounts would have to review it. I was told my credit card would not be billed for 3-4 weeks after our cruise. It was a week. Its still wrong. They removed a lot but it doesn't add up right.

I called Carnival today and was told they would send me a final statement and I should review it and then call them back. I expressed my annoyance at it not being settled onboard. I explained I felt the whole staff was overtired and really seemed like they needed a break. I said I would be writing a letter addressing a few bad experiences as well as some good. She said she'd like to extend to me a 10% discount off a future cruise.

Now I am quite certain a letter will get the same result but it sort of made me feel dismissed. Like who cares what you have to say here is your discount. Its like they don't want to hear from me and just trying to shut me up with a standard discount. I really wasn't sending the letter to get a discount anyway since I probably won't be able to cruise within 18 mths.

I guess I just have one more thing to add to my letter!

I was skeptical when I read your post about 3-4 weeks. The S&S bill has always appeared on our card in 3-4 DAYS. You really had some winners at the pursers desk.

sls

Sorry but I would have called my credit card company immediately and disputed anything from the cruise sign and sail. I would also at the time the pursers desk dissed me, I would have told them I was disputing any charges and they had better correct their screw up right there. I would also send a detailed letter to the ships captain and the ceo of carnival cruises. They have no right to charge your credit card for a fraudulint charge and any moron could see it was a mistake,,, talk about tip gouging, sounds like lazy employees...

Jima53

A few years ago I had some charges added to the s & s card. I took it to the pursers desk and recieved a note from them the next day saying that the disputed amount had been removed. And it was.

I would check the revised statement very carefully and call Carnival back with any descepancies. And take the 10% discount. It can't hurt.

Lisa :cool:

The advise is good. Call your credit card company and dispute the bill. At least that way you have some leverage. And yes check your bill very close. You may already know all this but don't wait.

We had one charge that was put on our account by mistake. No big deal except it was for someone elses tour. Added up to quite a bit. Purser said they would remove it. They didn't and the credit card company made the inquiry and we all finally got it straight but if not for the help of the credit card folks it would have been a nightmare. Especially if I had waited for the cruise line to correct it.

I do consider it partly my fault because I perhaps should have gotten something in writing before I left the ship and at least checked the charges on a daily basis. It's too easy to do so instead of waiting until the last minute.

Won't do that again.

1198206640_Tiger1-31-04copy.jpg.7f5726cc084563e4cf35530f290c17eb.jpg

Just for the record, when you get one of those "sorry, we screwed up" letters from Carnival offering a discount on a future cruise, you don't have to cruise within 18 months. You just have to book another cruise within 18 months. Since cruise schedules come out typically 18 months in advance, you are talking you have about 3 years to use it. I've gotten a couple of them in the past, and I always get a price from my agent, and then mention the discount. I've never had a problem with any TA accepting them.

First ~ MONGO... man, that has got to be the ugliest avatar I've ever seen!!! :D :D :D But, welcome to the board!

Now ~ Jeepgirl, I would pursue this to the nth degree and get that inane 'tip' off. That's about the silliest thing I've ever seen on this board. The purser knew that wasn't right. Geez. Send that letter now, girl. Keep us informed.:)

We've only had a problem once with our Sail & Sign bill having a wrong charge on it -- last year on the Victory. I took the bill to the purser's desk as soon as I saw it (about 6:00 a.m. on the morning we arrived back in Miami). They removed the charge right then & and corrected the bill while I stood there, which is what they should have done for you. It's ridiculous that you have to go through all this now because they were too lazy to take care of it on the ship!

I would immediately dispute the exact dollar amount with your credit card company. Also let them know what you have done to rectify the problem.

AND I would take that 10% off and book an expensive cruise like a 16 day. Good luck to you. I agree that the pursers desk should have fixed it while you were onboard.

That really is annoying, and very exasperating for you, too, jeepgirl! The whole thing just doesn't make any sense! Did you happen to get the name of the people onboard that you talked to? Did you save all of your receipts? (Sorry - not trying to be nosy). Have you tried contacting your TA? They can often go through their area sales rep. to try to get some action taken. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out!

We have also had problems with our S&S bill and trying to get it fixed onboard. It ended up that we were actually only overcharged a little bit so hubby would not let me dispute it but it is crazy.

yes, i know it is ugly, but that guy in the hat is all i could find to morph to<G>.

and i am really glad we now have a board i can upload my custom avvatars to.

Archived