Minor Documents

KK41

I know there was a similar thread somewhere but I was unable to find it. Please don't bash me for asking again!!!!! I am traveling with my minor daughter. I know cruise lines recommend a notarized letter with permission to travel with one parent. What if you don't know where the other parent is? Sad situation I know, but what do I need? Any one had any experience? We sail 5/28.......

A little hard to answer that one, om are you divorced? Do you have custody? Still married? If you are divorced and have custody is it partial or full? Do you have a certified copy of the birth certificate? Do you have a passport for the minor, or a photo i.d.? How old is the minor? Without knowing any of that, I would say call Carnival and ask them, or if you went through a ta, give him or her a call and see what they say. I'm divorced with full custody of my daughter, and carnival told me all i needed was a copy of my divorce, stating that i had full legal custody which makes me her legal guardian. They also said that with that, I wouldn't need the notarized permission letter from my ex husband. So we are taking her certified copy of her birth certificate as well as a phot i.d. for her. We are going to the eastern caribbean though, and not mexico, so I'm not sure how to answer your question. Good luck in getting your answer, I'm sure everything will work out for you.:)

easy search:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=335946

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=333096

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=318963

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=314517

I would get something from Carnival in writing, you should also check on the Dept. of State web site, they will provide you more correct legal answers - Carnival has no legal authority I would not take their word on anything this important. 999 out of 1000 times you would not ever have any trouble, but occasionally someone screws up, or an angry jerk ex-spouse can cause a ton of trouble for you leaving the country, even if he does not have custody - not having custody does NOT mean the other parent does not have rights - they have a ton of rights and CAN stop you from taking a minor out of the country - at least long enough to screw up a vacation.

bubbles1209.......yes, divorced for many years. Custodial parent and normally travel caring marriage license, divorce decree, marriage license and etc............tired of caring everything.....

mrdood....thanks for the advice of St Dpt.........been there......not much help.........

I know there was a similar thread somewhere but I was unable to find it. Please don't bash me for asking again!!!!! I am traveling with my minor daughter. I know cruise lines recommend a notarized letter with permission to travel with one parent. What if you don't know where the other parent is? Sad situation I know, but what do I need? Any one had any experience? We sail 5/28.......

This is the first for me. So if one parent mom or dad travels alone with said child, they need a notarized letter with permission to travel from mom or dad:confused: I have never heard of this. I cruised with my son without permsision from said dad. No questions asked.

This is the first for me. So if one parent mom or dad travels alone with said child, they need a notarized letter with permission to travel from mom or dad:confused: I have never heard of this. I cruised with my son without permsision from said dad. No questions asked.

I was asked last year in Playa Del Carmen. Our TA told me to be prepared!

I have the documantation, but in the last 5 cruises my son a and I have taken in the last five years was never asked for any such kind of documantation, maybe we just got lucky but yes would be a good idea to check with Carnival.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes there is a Parent/Guardian Consent & Release form required for all minor children who cruise without their legal guardian. The form is needed basically in case the minor needs medical attention. This notarized consent form will give the person traveling with the minor consent to authorize treatment and care rendered from the ships physician or any other medical personnel. I have cruise many times 10+ with my granddaughter and had never been asked to provide the form.( even though I have the form notorized for each cruise) I assume if medical attention was needed, it would not be provided without the legal documention(consent form) and the minor would not be cared for.

Tis true! They may never ask for it but if they do and you don't have the proper papers, it will cause big trouble. You might read some of the other threads about this issue. There are a couple of websites too, especially the U.S. Department of State - or google single parent traveling with minor... This is to prevent child kidnapping and child smuggling.

Archived