Amalfi Coast

I'm booked on the Celebrity Millenium Mediterranean cruise next month and am trying to plan a self-guided tour from Naples to Positano (or Ravello, Amalfi). I can get as far as Sorrento by train. The one of the hydrofoil company I found has discontinued its' Positano service. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get from Sorrento to Positano/ Ravello/ Amalfi without a car or guide? Thanks much.

I am surprised they stopped hydrofoil service to Positano! But such is life. You have two other options. 1) Rent a car and get a darn good map (we have done this). 2) You can take a public bus from Sorrento over the Amalfi drive to Positano, Amalfi, and points in-between. This is actually fun since it seems like you will go over the cliff as the bus rounds some of the turns on the drive. The problem is time! I am not sure of the bus schedule... so cannot advise whether this will work round trip. If Mike Andrews sees this post he might have info on the schedule.

Hank

To get to Ravello, you need to change busses in Amalfi and take a separate bus. You must buy a ticket in a little shop facing the piazza (easy to find) for the Ravello bus. Another possibility is to take a boat to Amalfi, and catch the bus up to Ravello (buses are just near the dock), then return to Sorrento by bus. It's a fun way to see the Amalfi Coast! If you do the bus, try to get a seat on the side facing the sea.
Mike Andrews is correct in what he says though-
You will be subject to the bus schedules.
The Sorrento to Amalfi busses run frequently enough, but the Amalfi to Ravello buses are less frequent. All the busdrivers are fantastic drivers.
I think renting a car for a one-day on the Amalfi Coast isn't a good idea, because (a) there can be heavy traffic in the summer, which would rob you of much valuable time for sightseeing and (b)finding parking can be a headache. The views are so breathtaking, you'll want to be free to enjoy them!

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Archived