Swimming with Stingrays on Freedom Stop..

Stingray City is a must! Yes, there will be a lot of different companies with their boats out there, but they all stake out an area and most of the people stay in their own excursion groups. You will thoroughly enjoy it!

Just don't wipe your hands on your body after handling the squid. It is very amusing watching someone trying to keep a stingray from giving them a hicky! hehe

I'd book this excursion with an independent operator. There are MANY reliable ones in GC. Check out the Grand Cayman boards to get some recommendations.

As to: will it be too overcrowded - I think that since there are only so many boats that go there, it shouldn't be more overcrowded than when there are many ships in port. I would look for an excursion that goes in the middle of the day, when there should be fewer boats in the area.

Just my opinion, but hope it helps you to consider options.

Def. book with a private tour(see the Port of Call board) the ship tours are so crowded..... We used Nativeway and had maybe 20 people on our tour.

YES Nativeway is the way to go.

I have used them 3 times now..and they really take care of you.

They will meet you at the dock when you get off the ship. and they will make sure you get back to the ship with time to spare.

I agree that using a private tour compay would be preferable. Also, the earliest excursions are the best - way less boats and people at the Stingray City. Probelm is that Freedom does not arrive in Grand Cayman until 9 AM. You will be lucky to get off the ship by 11 AM. Also, if there are other ships arriving ahead of Freedon, the passengers on these ships will book the private tours. Too late for Native Way - I already checked. I believe that your only choice is to sign up for the ship's excursion since you will get priority debarkation. Best bet would be to save this excursion for another cruise when you get to GC earlier. We did the Stingray City excursion at 8AM in 1997, and we were the only boat at the site. Of course, that was before the building boom which added about 50 cruise ships to the Caribbean. I'm surprised the Stingrays are still there.

Archived