Bayonne (Port Liberty) Questions

We're booked on Explorer of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) for December 23, 2007 and we have an extended family member in her late 70s that has expressed deep interested in joining us. While she uses a wheelchair, she doesn't absolutely need it, it is just very helpful for her to get around. So I have some general questions:

1) How is access in Bayonne, NJ? Do they have crew members to assist with the wheelchair? My family member can walk for embarkation but, it's going to take her a while if she needs to do it this way.

2) We're docking in all the ports, no tendering. Again, do they have crew members assisting with wheelchairs?

3) Do you find the handicap rooms well designed for wheelchair users?

Any information you provide would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your input.

Nick

We have not been on the Explorer or embarked at Bayonne, but I can answer your questions from a general perspective.

) How is access in Bayonne, NJ? Do they have crew members to assist with the wheelchair?

Yes, they will have wheelchairs and crew members who will assist with them at embarkation. They have even offered to assist with my husband's power chair. However, you are generally not allowed to keep the chairs they use for embarkation so I hope that you plan to bring her chair. Ships are very large and ports tend to require quite a bit of walking so she really should have a chair even if she can walk a little.

2) We're docking in all the ports, no tendering. Again, do they have crew members assisting with wheelchairs?

They will have crew members to assist you down/up the gangway. And if they do not offer, ask for help!

Although they vary greatly, in general, HC cabins are larger than regular ones and designed to allow wheelchair movement. The cabin and bathroom doors are large enough for a wheelchair. There is no step up into the bathroom which is usally equipped with a roll-in shower, roll-under sink and safety bars. Some of the older ships do not have built-in shower seats so its usually better to ask if there is one and request one if there is not.

Any information you provide would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your input.

We're booked on Explorer of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) for December 23, 2007 and we have an extended family member in her late 70s that has expressed deep interested in joining us. While she uses a wheelchair, she doesn't absolutely need it, it is just very helpful for her to get around. So I have some general questions:

1) How is access in Bayonne, NJ? Do they have crew members to assist with the wheelchair? My family member can walk for embarkation but, it's going to take her a while if she needs to do it this way

Yep, they will assist. The buses from the checkin terminal to the ship are kneelers, too, with plenty of wheelchair open space. They will load wheel chairs first.

They will also assist when you get to the ship. They have several folks dedicated to assisting wheelchairs through a separate ramp to a set of elevators and will take you into the elevator to be sure you don't get scooped.

Not as much, but a little

Yep.

In general, RCL is good about wheelchairs and access is plentiful as well as help.

The worst part is trying to get an elevator. Amazing how many people will not let a wheelchair on an elevator and deliberately barge in front. Especially considering the wheelchair is occupied by an adorable 7 year old girl.

Archived