Dinner Jackets -White or black

kpercy

PNHMRK- according to MY etiquette book, white dinner jackets are allowed in America between April and September, elsewhere black is preferred. Maybe the officers change when they are halfway across!

In America, you will find the "nouveaux riches" wear almost any colour. Do not be guided by that. The old guard in America wears black.

It is always proper to wear BLACK. If the officers are wearing white, do not feel obligated to be guided by them. They wear whatever the cruise line supplies for them to wear, not necessarily what is proper attire.

I am an American and I resent the statement:

"The only people who wear white dinner jackets are head waiters, bandleaders, Americans and others who don't know any better. ;)"

On the QE2 World Cruise this year I saw MANY white dinner jackets after we left LAX and not ALL of them on Americans. I was one of them. When you have 4 "formal" nights in a row it is nice to have a choice. What I didn't like were the ones who opted for light colored suits (grey or blue) instead of "formal" wear. By the way we sailed in Jan and ended in April. On a TA I would, of course wear only a black TUX regardless of the time of year.

I'll be on the QE2 World Cruise next year and have done a little Internet research on the black/white issue. As far as I can tell, black (of course) is always appropriate. However, white is acceptable in the tropics. And, if I recall my geography, once the cruise reaches the part of the world "down under", the seasons are reversed and winter becomes summer, thus white is quite acceptable during the months we usually consider to be off-limits in the States.

So I'll take both and wear whatever feels appropriate at the time.

(But back to black for the final crossing to NY in April).

Dave.

Black, White, Pink with Purple polka dots!

My! We certainly have an awful lot of judgemental people who have nothing better to do than rate others' clothing!

I think the world did not spring out of whole cloth with the clouds in the sky spelling out,

"THOU SHALT NOT WEAR WHITE BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY (whatever that is) NOR JEANS ON BOARD A CUNARD SHIP!"

And I don't remember Moses bringing them down the mountain on a tablet either!

(Gee, do you think that was the reason for the flood? And Noah, of course, wore the proper attire! And of course, Job probably wore white when it wasn't proper. And Lot's wife, no doubt, wore jeans!)

People! Some Busybodies somewhere made up these arbitrary rules by which to judge OTHER people! Know that Cunard tend to be more formal and dressy than many other ships, and dress accordingly, Or don't! If you want to fit in, then follow the "Dress code" What some people are saying here is MUCH more arbitrary, capricious and tighter than what Cunard themselves say! And those of you who stand in judgement. Remember. There have been occasions when people had no choice. I finally figured this out when I saw a gent in the same shirt for the third time. Obviously, he was one of those we dealyed the ship for. They got on board, but alas, their luggage did not. And no way for it to catch up for three days.

Judge not, lest ye be judged!

Life is too short and too dear to throw yourself on your ceremonial sword over an unintentional (or intentional) faux pas!

Karie,

Whom, I don't think can be accused of being underdressed at ANY time on the ship (Why I even wore my tiara to bed!)

I say, GET OVER IT!

"THOU SHALT NOT WEAR WHITE BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY (whatever that is) NOR JEANS ON BOARD A CUNARD SHIP!"

That's it! You've got it! It was all Moses' fault! Let's blame him:D

And I don't remember Moses bringing them down the mountain on a tablet either!

Of course not - as a servant he'd be wearing a white tie and tails:D

I am an American and I resent the statement:

"The only people who wear white dinner jackets are head waiters, bandleaders, Americans and others who don't know any better. ;)"

On the QE2 World Cruise this year I saw MANY white dinner jackets after we left LAX and not ALL of them on Americans. I was one of them. When you have 4 "formal" nights in a row it is nice to have a choice. What I didn't like were the ones who opted for light colored suits (grey or blue) instead of "formal" wear. By the way we sailed in Jan and ended in April. On a TA I would, of course wear only a black TUX regardless of the time of year.

Aren't those statements contradictory? You are an American and you don't know any better:D (I'm just pulling your leg - I agree with you - light grey is far worse than white).

Ummm....I also don't wear linen clothing nor bone coloured shoes, (Never white!!) before Memorial Day...

*Thinking maybe she's ready for the "Starting Over" house...* :rolleyes:

Well now, I'm thinking here about Kathleen Turner, in the movie Serial Mom .

She killed a woman for wearing white shoes before Memorial Day.

Karie,

Who is getting out all of her white shoes and thongs (sandals you idiots! Their original meaning! Pervs!) and polishing them up for Monday. I don't care if it's SNOWING. I'm wearing them! Miss Emily said I could! <G>

Lady, You think I should start over? Is that some kind of code for Loony Bin? Been there, done that. They said I was making them crazy, so they let me go! <G>

Kpercy,

How did you look in that white jacket? Hope you had a great cruise, though I see the seas were quite rough. Only about 80 days till we'll be doing our crossing.

Best regards,

Sue

Hi Sue,

Just returned home today.

White was no problem at all. Rough is a understatement. I expected an odd day but 3/4 days was no joke. Great ship though. My wife and I were very fortunate not to be ill unlike lots of people.

I would add that it depends on which dining room you are booked in.

I was in Queens Grill.

The Crossing (6 days) has 3 formal nights. For the Formal nights I wore black tux (traditional and double breasted). For the 'other nights' (expect the first night) I wore my white shawl dinner jacket.

Several others at the table/QG also wore white dinner jackets on the the non'-formal' evenings.

Archived