Is this Crazy?

perkyblue

We are in the very early stages of maybe planning a cruise for 2007. We're thinking of a 12-night European cruise. There will be DH and me, my parents, aunt, uncle, & our 3 year old. Is it crazy to take a 3-year-old on a 12-night cruise? Have any of you done a long cruise with a kid that age?

Also, does anyone know what Carnival charges for children that age? Is there a cheaper rate for children or for the 3rd person in the cabin?

Thanks for your input.

They do have a third person rate. Is it crazy to take a three year old to Europe? Twelve days isn't the main thing, but it's the destination. I don't have an answer to that, but realize that those Med cruises are very port intensive and very tiring. Also, depending on what your ports of call are, such as Florence and Rome, just getting into those cities from the dock is 90 minutes or longer and the tours are full day, which a 3 year old might not handle. And, if you planning the cruise for July or August, it can, and usually is, extremely hot and humid in the Med, which also might be tough for a three year old. I've been to the Med 5 times and I've not seen many younger kids handle Med tours very well. You won't find many tours of a short duration for Med cruises, and I've found that the young ones get very hot, cranky and tired.

Hi! We're doing our first Med. cruise, eastern itinerary, next April on the new Freedom. We'll have our kids, 8 and 4.

However, we've been to Italy with DS at 11 months, 2.5 years and 4 years, and when DD was 18 months.

Europe is very do-able with kids, you just have to adjust your expectations. See-Rome-in-a-day sort of excursions are not likely to be successful. It's exhausting for adults. If you are content just being there, seeing one or two select sites, then it will likely be a great trip. If you are invested in trying to see all the great art in Florence, I expect you'll be disappointed. By the very nature of a cruise, you have to pick and choose anyway. That is even more true with little ones.

I would also suggest planning alot, if not all, of your own excursions, so you can be flexible.

We stopped at Pompeii as a way to break up a long road trip when DS was 4 and DD 18 months. I just wanted a place where they could stretch their legs. It ended up having a lasting impression on DS and he is now fascinated with all things "ancient".

The really positive aspects of taking this trip with little ones via a Carnival cruise is that you have the wonderful Camp to provide all the activities and toys kids love, you come "home" to the same room every night, you eat in familiar surroundings each day, you can give the kids a "real" breakfast, you pack and unpack once, and the captain does the driving for you!

We're really looking forward to this. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them!

Happy planning!

I think that taking a longer cruise is the best with kids because once you get all your gear (or rather their gear!) and get yourselves situated on board you are not going to want to pack up again and go home.

Our first cruise was with our twin girls when they were 18 months old. We went off season (meaning no other kids on school break). We did get a few nasty comments...like three). But out of those three all the rest were happy to see our girls and were very pleasant. We did not book any excursions until we got on the ship and talked to the concierge. We were in Mexico for 12 days and would have easily been able to do 14-15. I was able to purchase more diapers at Wal Mart in Mexico, that was preplanned.

You know, I didn't address the 12-night aspect. I agree with the previous poster, with kids, the longer you're settled in the better.

If you take care that he/she has a good initial Camp experience, you make sure he/she gets something close to his/her normal amount of sleep, etc. you'll be fine. The boxes of cereal from the buffet make awesome take-along snacks!

As to Camp, I strongly suggest attending the orientation meeting the first night. It will give your child the chance to meet all of the counselors and see some of the other kids. When they are introducing the counselors, they will announce which age group that counselor will primarily be dealing with. Make note of the 2-5 year old counselors, and if the opportunity presents itself, introduce your child to at least one of the counselors after the meeting.

Afterward, they usually have a party in the disco. The counselors are on the dance floor with the kids, they play games (freeze dance, etc), there are balloons. It gives your child a chance to interact with the counselors and other kids while you are in the room. You can participate or not, depending on your child's comfort level.

I've found attending the first night's activities is a great way of making my kids at ease with the drop-off at camp the next morning: both the counselors and some of the other kids are now familiar faces.

You have the option of going to the camp with your child for 30 minutes prior to the official drop-off time the first day. I've never done this. DD was 25 months on our first cruise, and I knew that she would do better with the drop-off. If she caught wind of the fact that I could stay, she'd likely want me to, and be very unhappy to be told 30 minutes later that I couldn't. But some kids may benefit from the gradual withdrawal of a parent.

I also took her for a very short time the first couple of times. Didn't want her to think that once I said goodbye I was gone for hours. Before long, she was begging me to let her stay longer!

If your child enjoys camp, you will know that for 12 days, there is someplace he/she can go to engage in age-appropriate behavior (running and playing) in a safe environment. That's a huge advantage over land-based European vacations! And, you get to have a break at the same time!

HTH!

As the mother of a soon to be 3 yr old, I would be concerned with the time change. You're child will be on his/her own schedule. I wouldn't want to subject other people to a sleep deprived child out of whack by 7 or 8 hours.

I think a cruise longer than 7 days is a good choice. I do not think a Med cruise is a good itinerary with a 3 yr old.

Good luck with your decision!

You make a good point about the time change. In my experience, though, the kids have handled it really well. For one thing, they sleep on the plane, in a way adults don't/can't. I've also let them nap, most often in the car from the airport to Rome. Kids can still get a good night of sleep after a nap in a way that adults can't.

I also would never fly over the night before embarkation; if you give yourself a day or two to acclimate and enjoy Europe, your kids will be just fine. At least in my experience....

Thanks everyone for all of your info and advice. The final decision will be my dad's since he's the one who initiated the trip (and since he'll most likely be the one paying for my brother, his girlfriend, my aunt, & uncle, in addition to himself and Mom--Yikes!!).

We used to live in Europe and I remember traveling a lot when my little brother was about 3, and it never seemed to be a big deal. Of course I'm sure it's more difficult when you're the parent, rather than the 10-year-old sibling!

Hopefully with all the relatives there to help out, it'll be manageable. Plus, my son is very easy to leave with people and adapts well to new situations, so I think he's the ideal type of kid to try this with. (Or does every parent think that about their kids?) :)

But one thing I didn't even think about is the time change! I guess I'll wait until I know for sure if we're actually going to Europe before I worry too much about that one. (We're also considering a 7-day Caribbean trip.)

Thanks again everyone for responding, and if anyone has any more input, let me know!

I always read these posts with amusement. :o I have a 4 1/2 DD and a 8 month old DS. I travel with them often and take them out often. When I read these posts I think what should matter most is HOW YOUR KIDS react to being out, doing things etc... You can get extremely one sided advice from people that their kids were horrible and WOULD NEVER travel with kids and thinks people that do travel with them are CRAZY:eek:

or you can get opinions that I am prone to give, GO FOR IT! They travel with me everywhere, cruises and land based.. other than the normal hassle of lugging their gear and getting settled, its like everyday life for us.

So my dear, youu know your own child, are they sensitive, scared, etc....? or are they social, fun, respectful, open to travel etc.... (i have to say my kids take after me, cuz I have always loved to travel).

Being that this is a very free cruise, I SAY GO FOR IT OMG I would not even think twice. YOU may NEVER be able to visit there again! What happy memories to look through your pictures and see your children in Rome or wherever! They will cherish those photos!

Okay so you can't do very intensive ports... so go to the local cafe, take strolls, see local points of interests near the port and a short drive away. Go with the flow! Or try one long tour see how your child is with it. Sometimes they can suprise you!

keep us posted with your decision.:p

The previous poster has great advice - and I guess also keeping in mind how stressed you get, but I would go without question - and just do what you can. I have not cruised internationally with my babes, but I have a friend who took her 5 year old and said it was the best way to go because even though the cities changed, the routine stayed the same (and meals were easier choice-wise on board - especially with the prices in Europe). It seems like the least stressful way to do Europe with a child. You can post on the ports of call board for the cities and learn what the child-friendly tours are and/or where to walk from the ship in each port.

Have a great time if you go.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your advice! My aunt & uncle can't afford the European cruise (even with my dad pitching in) so we've decided on either a 9 or 7 night Caribbean cruise instead of the 12-night European cruise.

It's probably a good thing. This way we won't have the whole time change issue to worry about.

Archived