Travel Channel, Wed. May 17th

Martita B.

Sailor's, I read in my T.V. Guide that there is to be a special advisory program, "Safe At Sea" Wed. evening, May 17th at 7 pm (Central) also at 10 pm. (Central)

I heard that the Spirit ship will be a feature, as well as the Star Princess ship......(this was the ship that suffered a serious fire at sea)

Martita

Last night on the History Channel was a show entitled, "Rogue Waves." Very interesting and a bit chilling. Made me think of those of you on the recent Pride crossing.

Also, several people from the recent NCL NY-Bahamas cruise were interviewed; it's hard to believe that a wave could swamp Deck 10.

I would be happy to do it, if no one else chimes in (who must have better technology skills than I).

We here on CC appreciated the fact that you shared your photos from the 'pirate thing' with us, so it would be a pleasure to try to help out. It might be best to have a back-up though ;)

I know how to record tv shows with the VCR, but not positive I can do it on the DVD-R. Why I ever bought that thing, I do not know...I will enlist back up help from my husband and post when we have finished it!

Norm, I, like the poster above have problems even answering the phone. However, I will try and record on a disk.:confused: If it works I will let you know and will post to you. Thanks for your pictures.

Lefty Bob

Hi Norm: When I saw the previews for the show, they featured a gentleman with an accent talking about pirates and their nasty little weapons. When I saw that, I wondered if it was you, since you kept us up to date when the incident took place. Sorry, but no DVD recorder at my house, we are yet to upgrade from our lowly VCR's, but I will most definately watch. Just hope it won't be a "cruise at your own risk" kind of show.

Thanks, Itc and Lefty. :)

Decebal

Interesting what you say about the previews. Can't have been me, though. I'm from London and therefore don't have an accent :rolleyes:.

The description on the Travel Channel website says "Safe at Sea recounts the recent stories of the harrowing, life-threatening and sometimes deadly events that have happened on cruise ships." Sounds it will be exactly like what you fear. :(

I want to see it, too, but no Travel Channel here, either. Would Google Video work? Anyone know?

Norm: Where could I view your Pirate pictures? Never saw them except for the famous (infamous) one of the pirate boat. Jean

• Administrators

FYI, folks!

Our editor, Carolyn Spencer Brown, was interviewed for this show and has been told that she's "ON".

Don't miss it!

Laura

Laura

Hopefully someone can record the show for me as I'd love to see what she has to say.

Incidentally, Carolyn was one of the first people to know about the pirate attack on the Spirit. I emailed her as soon as we were allowed access to the satellite system.

Jean

I am working on putting up more of the photos - including some that have not been publicised before. These will be the pictures I included in my slide show on the Legend 10 days ago. More details to follow as soon as I've managed it.

Regards

Norm

• Administrators

From the previews they've been showing on the Travel Channel, the pirate story is one that they are including....

Laura

We have DISH and COMCAST and the Travel channel showed nothing for last night..nor for this week. We will continue to check the listings for a later showing. We have the equipment for the CD...will have to learn how to use it..should not be too hard...should the show come up in Tucson, we will try to get it for you Norm.

Norm. I am glad additional posters will try and produce a DVD. I have had cable problems (sometimes good and sometimes not). The cable company just called and they will be out on Friday. I hope the picture is good tomorrow night.

Regards,

LB

Norm: Where could I view your Pirate pictures? Never saw them except for the famous (infamous) one of the pirate boat. Jean

Jean

Ok, I've now created a special gallery for these photos. Because I was asked to be a bit sensitive about the pictures - don't want to scare anyone off cruising :eek: - I've password protected the gallery. The link is http://www.pbase.com/norm2002/pirates but you need to email me at norm at norms dot biz and I'll send you the password.

Regards

Norm

Sure brought back some scary memories! Great pictures, Norm, you were one brave fellow to take all those photos with the pirates shooting at you. We never saw them and thank heavens for that but we were there and it was not a fun morning. I have some pictures of Capt. Pederson receiving his painting from (name escapes me at the moment) at the final prty for the "survivors" at the end of the cruise in Singapore. Jean

I posted the below info under a separate thread. Great, super wonderful job and pictures by Norman! Having not yet sail on Seabourn, it give a first-time cruiser a good, positive feeling in many different ways. THANKS!

In the Travel Channel’s program tonight, May 17, 2006, 8 pm EDT, titled “Travel Advisory: Safe at Sea”, the segment about the Seabourn Spirit being attacked by pirates along the east African coast in the Indian Ocean, showed this ship and crew as being a clear HERO! Compared to other incidents, it was a very positive segment.

Passenger Norman Fisher is shown on air speaking with great details on what happened with his various photographs shown, including what happened at 6:10 am on the Seabourn Spirit in the Indian Ocean. He had lots of great pictures, including the group of pirates on their small boat as they approached for the attack. It showed the bullet hole on the side of the Spirit ship and talked about the rocket being fired at Spirit, but fortunately not exploding. Fisher very generously praised the great work and skill of the Seabourn Captain and what the whole crew did in out-running the pirates, being calm, have a clear strategy, being alert to spot them early in the morning, etc. Fisher clearly has not been scared off from cruising and could not have been more positive.

This Seabourn Spirit segment got heavy promo coverage all during the early parts of this hour-long Travel Channel program up till when it was shown about 2/3's of the way into the show.

Cruise Critic editor, Carolyn Spencer Brown, was interviewed at several points throughout the show and made many good, key points. She was a “star” of the program with her detailed comments, tips and insights. Her biggest criticism of the industry is that they tend to try to hide information. As Richard Nixon learned, the cover-up is always worse than the actual offense.

Many positive tips and suggestions were offered during the program, including suggestions on being careful to not giving out your cabin number to strangers and the value of walking with another passenger in less busy areas of ships at odd hours. Clearly the picture presented is that larger ships carry more risk because it is a different circumstance with so many people less likely to know everyone on the boat. The large mega boats with the “mass” crowd make it easier for people to think they can get away with things they would not do in a smaller, more intimate environment such as on Seabourn.

Illness and viruses were discussed. A spokesman for the cruise industry was featured throughout the program and also gave good info and presented a good image for the industry.

Hope this helps and is of interest.

TLC in Ohio

Norm, I have good news and not so good news. I copied the show to a DVD, but the quality is not too good. Still have cable problems.

I think my e-mail is in my profile. Send me your address and I will post to you. If e-mail is not in profile, please put in this thread.

Regards,

Lefty Bob

Archived