Suggestions for Ketchikan in August

wilal

Good Morning,

Our original cruise, the ill fated May 20 Summit sailing, was going to stop in Sitka. However, the replacement cruise that we now have booked is stopping in Ketchikan in August instead.

I'd love to hear any suggestions on great ways to spend time in Ketchikan (we'll be in port from 1-8 pm)

Thanks to all the advice we have received we have the following excursions booked (and thanks again to all of the tour operators who changed my bookings with so little notice leaving vacancies in their schedule for the week following May 20):

Juneau

Alaska Fly and Fish to Pack Island for Bear Viewing

Mendenhall Glacier

Captain Larry Whale Watch

Skagway

Skagway Extravaganza (White Pass Railway, Motorcoach Trail camp tour, Red Onion)

Icy Strait Point

F.I.S.H.E.S. Whalewatching with fishing on the return trip.

Thanks in Advance for all your help,

Aleeta

If you are interested in fishing - Ketchikan is the place, then you could spend more time whale watching out of Hoonah. :) Otherwise my top pick is Misty Fjords flightseeing, in August the bear trips are excellent.

But look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, no point in suggestion something of no interest to you.

Thanks Budget Queen,

My main interest is in wildlife viewing. My husband is interested in wildlife and goldrush history.

I was most anxious to see bears, whales and eagles, with the possibility of moose, foxes and wolves an added bonus. I was disappointed that with our rescheduled tour we are missing the Chena Float trip where I was hoping to see beavers, among other wildlife.

I am hoping that with the White Pass Railway trip in Skagway we will get a taste of Gold Rush history. We booked the Pack Creek floatplane trip so that I hopefully will see bears and F.I.S.H.E.S. and Captain Larry for whales. I understand that the eagles are pretty much a given on any of our ports.

However, I'd love any other ideas on best places to see wildlife on our tours and, especially, is there any place on the southbound Seward to Vancouver trip that would have a better possibility for seeing beluga whales or orcas.

Thanks again,

Aleeta

Thanks Budget Queen,

My main interest is in wildlife viewing. My husband is interested in wildlife and goldrush history.

I was most anxious to see bears, whales and eagles, with the possibility of moose, foxes and wolves an added bonus. I was disappointed that with our rescheduled tour we are missing the Chena Float trip where I was hoping to see beavers, among other wildlife.

I am hoping that with the White Pass Railway trip in Skagway we will get a taste of Gold Rush history. We booked the Pack Creek floatplane trip so that I hopefully will see bears and F.I.S.H.E.S. and Captain Larry for whales. I understand that the eagles are pretty much a given on any of our ports.

However, I'd love any other ideas on best places to see wildlife on our tours and, especially, is there any place on the southbound Seward to Vancouver trip that would have a better possibility for seeing beluga whales or orcas.

Thanks again,

Aleeta

Do you have time interior Alaska, since you are sailing Seward??? Best bargain around for wildlife and superb scenery is Denali Park, my top must do list, next is Kenai Fjords- DEFINATELY at least boat tour here.

As for orcas- Victoria BC or Friday harbor Wa are my top spots, you are NOT likely to see them in Alaska- all sightings by remote chance, the waters are so vast, they can be anywhere. I've seen Belugas in Turnagain Arm- again, time is necessary. Also on the cook inlet, but again, you are taking many many miles and no particular "spots" you get lucky when they are all the way up in the Arm. But definately not all that common.

I would assume you are referring to Chilkoot River float trip?? Actually wildlife viewing is rare except for eagles.

Budget Queen,

Do you have a preference for a whale watching tour in Victoria? We are going there for a long weekend in July and I'm not sure which one is best. We want a larger boat not a zodiac. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

We went on Alaska cruise in August 2004 (going in May this year). We mainly walked around in Ketchikan as we had an 19 month old with us. We especially enjoyed watching the salmon up there. Up near the salmon hatchery, you can see tons of salmon swimming upstream. There is also a salmon ladder where you can watch salmon, but our observation was that most of the salmon chose to swim upstream on their own. If you have binoculars, bring them so you can see the salmon up close.

We also took a sky tram up to Cape Fox Lodge and got a wonderful view of the ships docked in port. The tram was free before 9 AM, and then I think it costs a few dollars to ride it after 9 (price may have changed since then though).

Enjoy your trip to Alaska.

Archived