Murder of crew member

NorthernNeighbour

Can anyone advise what the result of the police investigation of the murder of a crew member abroad the QM2 (presumably by another crew member as reported in the press) was?

Has the crew member suspected been arrested? If so, by which country?

Yesterday's UK press had a short article which said that the crew member who died was an electrician from the Phillipines. Another crew member, a 46 year old Fillipino was being questioned by Dutch police.

Yesterday's UK press had a short article which said that the crew member who died was an electrician from the Phillipines. Another crew member, a 46 year old Fillipino was being questioned by Dutch police.

British ship - British police onboard from Bergen, QM2 docks Southampton Wednesday - expect news then.....

Peter

We do not know it was murder. For all we know at this stage it could have been a lawful killing.

It will be a matter for the Hampshire Police to investigate, and the Crown Prosecution Service to decide on what, if any, charge is brought.

These things are not always done quickly.

A member of staff on board the Queen Mary 2 cruise ship has died after an alleged attack by a colleague.

Cunard, the vessel's owner, said the Filipino man, aged 40, was assaulted by a Filipino crew member, 49, on Friday.

He was airlifted off the ship to a Netherlands hospital with serious head injuries but died on the way.

The QM2 is registered in Southampton, which gives UK police jurisdiction. Four officers have boarded the ship in Bergen, Norway, where it has docked.

Hampshire Police said the alleged assailant had been confined to his cabin on board the vessel after the incident.

The men had allegedly become embroiled in a fight below deck at around 1500 BST.

'Deepest sympathy'

A police spokeswoman said: "A 49-year-old Filipino man was detained on the ship by the captain under section 105 of the Merchant Shipping Act.

"Four detectives and three crime scene investigators have flown to Norway and boarded the ship at Bergen.

"While en route back to the UK the police officers will be speaking to any members of the ship's crew who may have witnessed the incident."

A post mortem on the dead crew member will take place next week in the Netherlands.

The cruise around Norway is going ahead as planned and the QM2 is due back in Southampton on Wednesday.

Cunard spokesman Michael Gallagher said: "The company are very shocked by this event and Cunard is in contact with the victim's family to whom we send our deepest sympathy."

The QM2 - a 1,132ft vessel which cost an estimated £422m to build - can carry up to 2,620 passengers who are looked after by a crew of 1,253.

LOL! None really intended... :rolleyes:

How have you been GG?

(Aw....I already explained my name before...what's even worse is now I'm even being questioned about the "lady" part....yeesh! Like there's not enough to explain...)

BTW, Peter...you know what your name is a euphanism for in the States?

(Cracks herself up...) :D

Lady Mac W - please explain to those poor unfortunates like myself what other meaning Guernsey Guy has other than a man who lives/originates from Guernsey. (Could it be something to do with geurning (sp? my spell check doesn't recognise the word and I'm not sure of the spelling!) - pulling faces?)

We do not know it was murder. For all we know at this stage it could have been a lawful killing.

It will be a matter for the Hampshire Police to investigate, and the Crown Prosecution Service to decide on what, if any, charge is brought.

These things are not always done quickly.

Could you clarify? Under what circumstances would someone getting his head bashed in at sea be a "lawful killing"? Methinks you gest. LOL.

Or is there some sort of "political correctness" here of which I am unaware? I think not, but perhaps I am wrong -- unless of course it was an accident and this qualifies as a "lawful killing".

Or is there some sort of "political correctness" here of which I am unaware?

I think its called 'Innocent until proved Guilty' - lets see what, if anything, Hampshire police charge the suspect with.

Peter

I think its called 'Innocent until proved Guilty' - lets see what, if anything, Hampshire police charge the suspect with.

Peter

Yes, of course, that is why I was careful to say "presumably" and "suspected". Maybe it was someone else? Maybe it was an accident?

But if not an "accident", then I think it was murder and someone did it!!!

"Lawful killing" -- I think not!

"Lawful killing" -- I think not!

Lawful killing is a legal term used to describe a death that is brought about, for example, by reason of self-defence - to illustrate:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3524350.stm

...so it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the Coroner return a similar verdict in this case....

Peter

I find it odd that many of the news stories relating to this unfortunate episode refer to the alleged suspect being confined to his room. It seems confining someone to their room would be more of a punishment suitable for unruly conduct, not murder

Doesn't the QM2 have a brig? I would think they were equipped with a jail cell of some description.

Cruiserking

I find it odd that many of the news stories relating to this unfortunate episode refer to the alleged suspect being confined to his room.

Cruiserking

Anyone who has had a dose of the "dreaded lergi" (gastro enteritis) will know that the only treatment the doc will give you is to tell you to stay in your cabin for twenty four hours.

That was enough to put me off murder for life.

David.

Anyone who has had a dose of the "dreaded lergi" (gastro enteritis) David.

My mother from time to time used to make quips to me about catching the dreaded lergi. Until a minute and a half ago I always thought that was some funny imaginary illness she made up. But, it really exists, apparently.

Cruiserking

Well no, you were right all along. I think it originated in a British cult radio show of many years ago called "The Goon Show".

Bet it made you think when your mother said it though.

David.

Thanks for the clarification David. It did make me think of my dear old mum and I appreciate it that. She bought me a tape of the Goon Show many years ago, wonder if the dreaded lergi is included in some sketch, will have to dig it up.

Jonathan

Archived