Great accessible tour in Jamaica

PeggyET

H Folks!

Recently returned from Western Caribbean on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Stopped in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Jamaica was the highlight of our cruise. Went on the "Take it Easy Tour" through A-Z Planners, with Walter as our tour guide. Walter was right there at the dock waiting for us as soon as we got off the ship. His airconditioned van has a portable ramp (I'm a c-5 quad using a lightweight powered chair) and he did a great job getting me in and out. The van doesn't have a raised roof, so that might be a problem for taller people (I'm 5'4").

We drove up through Fern Gully which was lush and beautiful, saw some interesting roadside artwork. Stopped at Wassi Pottery factory and took a quick tour of the whole pottery making process. The pieces were gorgeous. Then we went to Coyaba Botanical Gardens which was very accessible and beautiful. Next was Mahogany Beach, and I was able to get all the way to the shore in my wheelchair! Had lunch at The Ruins with beautiful waterfalls right off the patio. Our last stop was shopping by the docks. It was all very accessible, and the Jamaican people were very friendly and helpful. Walter was a great guide, very flexible. All that (lunch included) for $58 per person! (his van can hold up to 6 others, plus 1 wheelchair)

To conact A-Z Jamaica Planners, e-mail info@a-zjamaicaplanners.com, ph. 876-994-1960, www.a-zjamaicaplanners.com

Will post info soon n other 2 spots, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy! Your tour will help if we go to Jamaica some day. How was your handicapped cabin on Rhapsody of the Seas? Was the rest of the ship accessible to you? Any problems?

Peggy I am glad to hear the Rhapsody is stopping in Jamica. I was on the Rhapsody in March and they were hoping for the alternating itn but it was not confirmed.

Daju22- We were in a handicap JS. The room was a large and very comfortable for 3 people. Our 10 year DD was with us. The bathroom has a raised toilet and bars, the shower has a large pull down seat and a hand held shower head. Request a second matress a head of time as the beds are low. They will have the extra matress on the bed when you arrive. The ship as a whole is pretty accessible. There are a few steep door thresholds that may require assistance if you use a wheelchair. If I had a hard time I just asked the first person I saw for help and it was no problem. Have a great trip

Jean

Hi

We toured with Walter too. He was very nice to us. We went to Dunns River Falls just to look cost extra but was worth it when up the falls came my daughter and the rest of our group.

We did not have lunch guess we missed that part by doing Dunns River.

We will be returning in Nov and will use Walter again. This time I plan to climb Dunns River and Walter hopefully with stay with DH on the landing and watch. We payed $52 each without lunch.

Still it was worth it just to be able to go anywhere and do something.

Archived