Alaska Zuiderdam or Volendam for 1st cruise?

Waxer

Greetings! I am taking my wife and parents on their first Alaska cruise. Leading ship candidates are Zuiderdam or Volendam. I've read the brochure carefully and visited the HAL website, as well as spent several days reading these boards.

If anyone has any specific reccomendations on selecting one ship over the other (service and food are probably the most important to us) I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The only negative I've come across so far is a mention of a "sewage smell" on Zuiderdam. Is that a persistent issue?

Thank you in advance!

I have sailed on both ships, liked each ship for different reasons. I would highly recommend the Volendam over the Zuiderdam, but with that being said, they are both very nice ships, the Volendam just happens to be one of my all time favorites. If I had to choose, it would be the Volendam for sure.

I found food and service to be equal on both ships and never had a sewerage smell on either ship.

I, too, have sailed both ships, and have to agree with Doone.....while I liked the Zuiderdam very much, have sailed her twice in the Caribbean, and am booked on her in Alaska in July....I would recommend the Volendam without question! There is no difference IMO in either service or food, but there was an "ambiance" about the Volendam that is special. (And, no, I have never encountered the sewage odor, either.)

Happy sailing!

If you're looking at 2007, be aware that Volendam (from the 2007 Cruise Planner) is sailing Seattle/Seward Seward/Seattle and not Vancouver RT. Zuiderdam is sailing Vancouver RT along with Zaandam.

Volendam is only sailing Vancouver RT at either end of the 2007 season.

Of course if you're looking at 2006, when Volendam and Zuiderdam are both sailing Vancouver RT.

We have sailed on both ships and it comes down to a matter of personal choice. If you like larger ships with more glitz, then the Zuiderdam is the ship for you. We found the Volendam to be a nicer ship because there just seems to be a warmth on that ship that we did not feel on the Zuidi. The Volendam being a smaller ship is easier to get around on and faster to learn the short cuts. The elivators on the Zudi we really neat if you are into that sort of thing?? You will love either one, its just a matter of choice.

Archived