Boatyard Question

GummyBear

I see no costs on their website at all, but I'm assuming you get in free and pay for food, drinks, umbrellas, boats, etc. We'll be in Barbados on a Wednesday and you get in free that night as well with a pretty big party going on...

In January, we cruised to Barbados, did a taxi tour of the island and ended up at the Boatyard at about 2:30 in the afternoon. I think the cost was $8 each, with $5 in tokens back for food and drinks ... and that included two chairs and an umbrella. However, since we arrived so late, that only charged us $3 each, and gave us no tokens. You can see pictures of our visit at the webshots link below -- it's the Legend cruise. The crowd was already thinning out in the afternoon, so we relaxed and had a great day. Beautiful scenery. Happy hour drinks at 4, fried flying fish ... we stayed until the sun fully set. Then we wondered down the beach only a short way to a small beach restaurant called "Lobster Alive" where we enjoyed a fabulous meal with native ambience. They had their own taxi driver available to return us to our ship (for a small fee) after our wonderful meal! I strongly recommend The Boatyard for at least part of your day in Barbados.

We went to the Boatyard in Nov 2003 and it costs $10. You got $5 back in tokens to buy food or a drink. The cost included a beach chair.

We had a great time at the boatyard. It's also a favorite place for the ship's crew to go and relax for the day.

judyjbest & Others .... Thanks for your helpful comments! :)

We are planning to try The Boatyard on an upcoming cruise so we copied a thread from the Old Board by latte for future reference. Thought some of you all might also find it helpful.

----------------------------------------

Here are some lightlights from "Boatyard Review" by latte:

... There is a $12pp Entry Fee (includes chair and umbrella) and you get back $5 in tokens to use at the bar/restaurant. Local beer (pretty good $2.50) and other drinks were expensive. Most beer $4 each and the only other drink we got was a pina colada which was $7.50. We did not eat there but looked at the menu briefly. The only thing that sticks out was the $13 cheeseburger not sure what was included with that. A basket of fries was $6.

The beach itself was nice. We got there around 10:30 pretty quiet, by 1:00 it was pretty crowded. Get there early if you want to be right on the edge of the water and I believe they may have run out of umbrellas as well. We were asked a coulple of times if we still needed it. Water was constant with small to medium waves. There are lots of jetski rental guys who will ask a few times then give up. I believe they were $40 for 1/2 hour. The trampoline and climbing iceberg are in fairly deep water, so kids who are not strong swimmers may need help or I think you can ask for a lifevest.

We took a taxi back to the pier, too tired to walk back. It's $3pp and there are plenty waiting for you.......

------------------------------------

Any additional info on The Boatyard would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

We were there in Nov and there was raft in the water, and a trampoline in the water. There were also jetskis for rent next door. The Jolly Roger also leaves from there.

The Boatyard got really rowdy when the Jolly Roger returned.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Barbados is the last island that we stop at on the cruise and I would kind of like to relax on a beach.

Would it be better to go to Malibu Beach or the Boatyard for the day?

I am also going to take th shuttle downtown for $1 just to check it out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Yes.

They are open 365 days a year.

Raymond and Brian Gill don't want to disappoint anyone. :)

Barbados -- The Man .... You're as helpful as always!! :cool:

All of us cruisers are glad to know The Boatyard is open on Sundays, Holidays, etc.!!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 3 weeks later...
Barbados is the last island that we stop at on the cruise and I would kind of like to relax on a beach.

Would it be better to go to Malibu Beach or the Boatyard for the day?

I am also going to take th shuttle downtown for $1 just to check it out.

I'd also be interested in a comparison of these two options. I understand that Malibu charges $10, includes a tour of the Malibu Distillerey, a free drink, and the chairs and umbrella.

I'd also be interested in a comparison of these two options. I understand that Malibu charges $10, includes a tour of the Malibu Distillerey, a free drink, and the chairs and umbrella.
Would like a comparison of the two locations if you have the time.

Regards,

mcboo:):)

Would like a comparison of the two locations if you have the time.

Regards,

mcboo:):)

Well, hummm…..

The Boatyard is a place that offers fun-in-the-sun. They have a nice beach, albeit in an industrial area, food, drink, music, water sports, etc. It is essentially a destination that wishes to encompass everything that one may want. The Gills do a great job in keeping everyone happy.

Now, the Malibu Visitor’s Centre could also be considered a destination.

It has a very interesting tour, gift shop, food, drink and also a nice beach with lounges. No water sports that I remember or music, but it’s been a long time.

People generally go to the Malibu Centre for just a couple of hours, but they go to the Boatyard for the whole day.

The closest analogy that I can offer is that the Boatyard is like going to Disneyland and the Malibu distillery is like going to tour a winery with a nice area outback for you to relax for a little while.

The two are very close, perhaps a 5-10 minute cab or shuttle ride away. I’d first do the Malibu tour and see how it impresses you. If you love it, stay for the afternoon. If not, shuttle down to the Boatyard and give that a try. You’re only a few minutes from the ship with either one.

I wish I could be more concise, but you’d have to experience it to really understand.

Try and see them both, it’s cheap and fun! :)

OK, now i'm a little confused on what to do. I had planned to do a Mount Gay Rum Distillery tour off the ship in the am, then go to crane beach or boatyard or mullins beach.

Now someone's mentioned Malibu Distillery, where you can sit at the beach as well!

Mr. Barbados, help! I know you recommend the Mt Gay Rum to purchase, but what about our other options. Should we skip the ship tour and go to Malibu & hang at the beach then move on or what? You're so good to help all of us newbies to your home!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

Bev

OK, now i'm a little confused on what to do. I had planned to do a Mount Gay Rum Distillery tour off the ship in the am, then go to crane beach or boatyard or mullins beach.

Now someone's mentioned Malibu Distillery, where you can sit at the beach as well!

Mr. Barbados, help! I know you recommend the Mt Gay Rum to purchase, but what about our other options. Should we skip the ship tour and go to Malibu & hang at the beach then move on or what? You're so good to help all of us newbies to your home!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

Bev

Let me tell you a little about Mt. Gay vs. Malibu……

Mt. Gay has been making rum for over 300 years. It has won numerous awards for the best rum on the planet.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a beach to romp on. It is on a beach at Exmouth Gap, St. Michael but only offers the best rum and a nice little restaurant overlooking the beach on a nice verandah.

mtgayrum.jpg

Now, Malibu also offers a world-famous rum and they have a nice beach to play on after your tour: Brandon’s Beach, St. Michael on Spring Garden Hwy in Brighton.

Brandon’s Beach

brandonsbeach.JPG

One can walk between the two in 10-15 minutes.

Here’s what I’d do……

Go see Crane first. Then come back and do the MALIBU tour. If you like the beach, stay. If you want a little variety, shuttle down to the Boatyard for some fun, music and watersports and good times.

When you buy that bottle of rum to take home, and you want the best, buy Mt. Gay.

Does that help any? Or did I confuse you more?

oh, that was very helpful! But just a few more questions:

you say you can walk btw the 2 in 10-15 min, but I'm not sure which 2 you mean.

should we skip mullins beach completely?

I like your itinerary. Getting to Crane early seems to make a little more sense. Do we take a taxi to Crane, then over to Malibu etc? Any ideas on cost and/or time frames btw dock, and all of the above?

We are so lucky to have you as a resource!!

Thanks,

Bev

oh, that was very helpful! But just a few more questions:

you say you can walk btw the 2 in 10-15 min, but I'm not sure which 2 you mean.

should we skip mullins beach completely?

I like your itinerary. Getting to Crane early seems to make a little more sense. Do we take a taxi to Crane, then over to Malibu etc? Any ideas on cost and/or time frames btw dock, and all of the above?

We are so lucky to have you as a resource!!

Thanks,

Bev

I’m so sorry, I wasn’t clear on that point.

It is only 10-15 minutes walk between the Mt. Gay Centre and the Malibu Centre, both on Spring Garden Hwy.

Skip Mullins? Well, that depends on what you want from your day.

Mullins is a nice, quiet beach. Lots of room to spread-out and generally not as many people per sq. ft. It would be a quiet afternoon on a nice, white beach with some solitude. There is little solitude on the Malibu beach as there are always tours coming through.

Yes, taxi to Crane and then Back to Malibu (or Mullins) then shuttle or taxi back to the ship.

Ship to Crane and back to the West Coast beaches would be about US$50 for up to four in the cab.

Cab from the ship just to Mullins, about US$12.

Cab from the ship to Mt. Gay or Malibu, about US$10.

A pristine, relaxing, beautiful day would be to cab to Crane, then to Mullins for a relaxing afternoon.

A spiced-up day would be a cab to Crane, then to either the Mt. Gay facility or the Malibu facility. Then finish off the day at the Boatyard.

It just depends on what you want from your time.

Feel free to ask more questions, I’m here for another month and it’s GETTING COLD! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived