Cruising Sunday to Mexico.....need help with a question

This is where "you are wrong:) " The dress code is not specific, if it were, it would state that jeans are not allowed in non formal dining. they are suggesting only.

This comes directly from Carnival's web site, it is quite specific. It does not mention not to wear jeans because it tells you exactly what you should wear. Jeans are not on the list.

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

This comes directly from Carnival's web site, it is quite specific. It does not mention not to wear jeans because it tells you exactly what you should wear. Jeans are not on the list.

Your are exactly right! Because it does not mention not to wear jeans:)

And it just suggest what you should wear:p

DW and I like to dress up in the dining room. I even wear a tux on formal nights. But that is my personal choice. I could care less about what other people are wearing. You want to wear jeans. No skin off my nose.

What is really sad as we as a society have gone way overboard (no-pun intended) with strict adherence to frivolous rules and "Zero tolerance policies" that people have completely lost the ability to think and act for themselves.

What I just don't understand is how one would allow their dining experience to be in any way diminished by what someone else is wearing.

I always wear flip flops and capris or cropped pants for dinner on "smart-casual-resort dress" nights. Sometimes I'll wear other sandals depending on what clothing I have on. For me, the keyword is: COMFORT. And, it's really easy to be comfortable and in good taste when on a cruise. No more tall, fancy heels that hurt my feet. Or tight "girdle-type" lingerie. It's all about "tasteful comfort". :cool:

Even at dinner time? What kind of shoes? Flip flops, dansko sandals or fancy heels? The fancy heels will look dumb with a Sport skirt but......:rolleyes:

This is where "you are wrong:) " The dress code is not specific, if it were, it would state that jeans are not allowed in non formal dining. they are suggesting only.

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

We don't cruise on a web site, we cruise on a ship. And on the ship they realize that the guest are their to have fun, not to pretend they are models at some fashion show. That is why on the ship they allow jeans. I have never seen anyone asked to leave the dining room because they had jeans on. Further more, I have never seen anyone post that they have ever seen someone asked to leave because they had jeans on. The only possible conclusion one can come to is that jeans are allowed in the dining room on Carnival.

So you can sit in your ivory tower analyzing web sites and drawing your own conclusions from your web site. I'll be on the ship enjoying myself, comfortable in the fact that if on my next cruise I decide to wear jeans to the dining room, Carnival will welcome me with a smile. You wear what makes you comfortable, and I'll wear what makes me comfortable, and we will see who's food taste better.

We don't cruise on a web site, we cruise on a ship. And on the ship they realize that the guest are their to have fun, not to pretend they are models at some fashion show. That is why on the ship they allow jeans. I have never seen anyone asked to leave the dining room because they had jeans on. Further more, I have never seen anyone post that they have ever seen someone asked to leave because they had jeans on. The only possible conclusion one can come to is that jeans are allowed in the dining room on Carnival.

So you can sit in your ivory tower analyzing web sites and drawing your own conclusions from your web site. I'll be on the ship enjoying myself, comfortable in the fact that if on my next cruise I decide to wear jeans to the dining room, Carnival will welcome me with a smile. You wear what makes you comfortable, and I'll wear what makes me comfortable, and we will see who's food taste better.

The phrase "Ivory Tower" could only come from a person with an authority problem.

I also do not cruise on a web site, I merely quote from one.

The dress code is also posted on the ship and delivered to your cabin nightly via Carnival Capers.

Carnival must not care what you wear to the dining room, that is why they publish the dinning room dress code daily on every ship in the fleet.

Are we reading the same dress code?

Please take note what it SPECIFICALLY states what is NOT PERMITTED.

Therefore jeans are permitted:)

Like I said before, if they did not want people to wear jeans they would state that just like they state no shorts, t shirts and bathing attire:)

I believe this is the same dress code you were talking about

The phrase "Ivory Tower" could only come from a person with an authority problem.

I also do not cruise on a web site, I merely quote from one.

The dress code is also posted on the ship and delivered to your cabin nightly via Carnival Capers.

Carnival must not care what you wear to the dining room, that is why they publish the dinning room dress code daily on every ship in the fleet.

1) Carnival's dress code says nothing about jeans. Since it does say no shorts the only logical conclusion is that jeans are allowed. If not, Carnival would have added jeans to the do not wear list.

2) Having been on three Carnival cruises, I can state that jeans are allowed in the dining room. Carnival does not have any problem with this.

3) It is well known that people wear jeans to the dining room, yet Carnival makes no effort to stop people from doing so. Again the only logical conclusion is that Carnival does allow jeans in the dining room.

4) If people wearing jeans in the dining room bothers you that much, then perhaps Carnival might not be the best line for you to cruise with.

5) Ivory tower refers to people who think only in theory, not what is actually happening in the real world. It has nothing to do with authority. You keep quoting a web site that specifically says no shorts. People have been asked to leave the dining room because they are wearing shorts. The web site could say no shorts and no jeans, but it does not. Nobody has been asked to leave the dining room because they were wearing jeans. I deal in the real world, and in the real world (aboard the ship) jeans are permitted in the dining room. Carnival knows that, and if it was a problem, Carnival would add jeans to the forbidden list. Carnival has not added jeans to the forbidden list because Carnival will welcome guest wearing jeans with a smile. No so for guest wearing shorts.

1) Carnival's dress code says nothing about jeans. Since it does say no shorts the only logical conclusion is that jeans are allowed. If not, Carnival would have added jeans to the do not wear list.

2) Having been on three Carnival cruises, I can state that jeans are allowed in the dining room. Carnival does not have any problem with this.

3) It is well known that people wear jeans to the dining room, yet Carnival makes no effort to stop people from doing so. Again the only logical conclusion is that Carnival does allow jeans in the dining room.

4) If people wearing jeans in the dining room bothers you that much, then perhaps Carnival might not be the best line for you to cruise with.

5) Ivory tower refers to people who think only in theory, not what is actually happening in the real world. It has nothing to do with authority. You keep quoting a web site that specifically says no shorts. People have been asked to leave the dining room because they are wearing shorts. The web site could say no shorts and no jeans, but it does not. Nobody has been asked to leave the dining room because they were wearing jeans. I deal in the real world, and in the real world (aboard the ship) jeans are permitted in the dining room. Carnival knows that, and if it was a problem, Carnival would add jeans to the forbidden list. Carnival has not added jeans to the forbidden list because Carnival will welcome guest wearing jeans with a smile. No so for guest wearing shorts.

The web site says, "Formal Attire" on formal nights and "Resort Casual" on non-formal nights. Niether of these include jeans, the fact that jeans are not specifically mentioned does not mean they are allowed.

Jeans don't need to be mentioned as an exclusion since they have already told us what the attire should be.

As far as thinking in theory goes, the dress code is not a theory it is a published policy.

The web site says, "Formal Attire" on formal nights and "Resort Casual" on non-formal nights. Niether of these include jeans, the fact that jeans are not specifically mentioned does not mean they are allowed.

Jeans don't need to be mentioned as an exclusion since they have already told us what the attire should be.

As far as thinking in theory goes, the dress code is not a theory it is a published policy.

Good try, but I don't buy it:) Until they make their dress code more specific, there will be jeans in the dining room:)

Good try, but I don't buy it:) Until they make their dress code more specific, there will be jeans in the dining room:)

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit

Thats pretty specific, they say exactly what makes up Formal and Casual Resort. Again .. jeans are not slacks (or part of a pantsuit for women)

As for "you'll be comfortable in your jeans" since when are slacks (aka dockers or the like) any less comfortable than jeans? same goes for a pantsuit for the women .. how is it any less comfortable?

Unless shorts are formal attire, the fact that Carnival chose to exclude shorts and not jeans leads to only one possible conclusion, that jeans are allowed. That is unless you want to argue that shorts are formal attire, and thus need to be excluded.

We don't cruise on a web site. In the real world (meaning on the ship) jeans are allowed (except on formal nights). Those who rely on the mistaken belief that the web site says that jeans are not allowed apparently have not taken a good look at an actual Carnival dining room while on a cruise, since anyone who has would see that jeans are welcomed by Carnival. That is the difference between theory (the web site - assuming that your conclusion as to jeans being excluded is correct, which it is clearly not) and real world applications (meaning those of us who observe what is allowed on the ship).

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit

Thats pretty specific, they say exactly what makes up Formal and Casual Resort. Again .. jeans are not slacks (or part of a pantsuit for women)

As for "you'll be comfortable in your jeans" since when are slacks (aka dockers or the like) any less comfortable than jeans? same goes for a pantsuit for the women .. how is it any less comfortable?

Oh but you forgot the part that says: Note: shorts, t shirts and bathing suits are NOT ALLOWED:) Until they say that about jeans, and as long as they allow (meaning they let you in with jeans) people will continue wearing them:)

No one is claiming that jeans are formal. What we are saying is that jeans are clearly permissible on non-formal nights. If what you are saying was correct, which it is not, then there would be no reason to exclude shorts. The fact that Carnival needed to exclude shorts, and chose not to exclude jeans is a clear indication that jeans are permissible.

I choose to base my conclusions on actual first hand observations. Based on my observations, jeans are in fact welcome by Carnival management on the ship, in the dining room, at night. Why don't you take a Carnival cruise and make your own first hand observation, instead of sitting there in your ivory tower and stating what, in your personal opinion, is actually Carnival's intention.

Finally who are you to say what people are comfortable in??? First you want to dictate what clothes people are going to wear, next you want to dictate what the passengers will be comfortable in and what they will not be cofortable in. What qualifies you as an expert on what clothes other people can and cannot wear, and what qualifies you as an expert on what other people will and will not feel comfortable in???

Get another line.... this one is getting old!!

Exactly my thoughts. That line is usually used by the person who is out of mental ammunition. In logical circles it would be called the "red herring fallacy"(something interjected to divert attention or mislead). :rolleyes:

Lost cause here, people with no class will never realize it I guess. Also Cuizer2 for your information I have taken a Carnival cruise, and have 2 more booked in the next year. What Carnival allows to keep from pissing off passengers like you, and what they have rules about are 2 different things. Instead of assuming that since they let you in the door in your jeans that its allowed, next time ask the maitre d’ if it is allowed before hand.

Exactly my thoughts. That line is usually used by the person who is out of mental ammunition. In logical circles it would be called the "red herring fallacy"(something interjected to divert attention or mislead). :rolleyes:

Nope don't think so:) It was just a simple solution for her whining:)

Lost cause here, people with no class will never realize it I guess. Also Cuizer2 for your information I have taken a Carnival cruise, and have 2 more booked in the next year. What Carnival allows to keep from pissing off passengers like you, and what they have rules about are 2 different things. Instead of assuming that since they let you in the door in your jeans that its allowed, next time ask the maitre d’ if it is allowed before hand.

Clearly it is Carnival's policy to allow jeans in the dining room for dinner. Otherwise they would not allow it - at every meal. If it bothers you, then perhaps Carnival may not be the best line for you to cruise on. Clearly it does not bother Carnival.

As to class, I believe someone who judges people based on their character has much more class than someone who judges a person based on the clothes they wear. A class person understands what diversity is and what it means. Clearly you don't get it. For that I feel sorry for you. Nonetheless, you can be sure that those who are open to diversity will not mind if you choose to dress up every night, while those that who are close minded about dress codes will be less respectful of others, based solely on the clothes they choose to wear.

It is a shame you cannot show some of that class you claim to have to others simply because they differ in their choice of clothing from you.

Guest YesitDonna

I agree that one should follow the guide lines of the cruise line. I also think that people feel they have to be "dressy" for every dinner. Smart casual is just a step above jeans and a tee shirt and you can be just as comfortable. I'm not a dress up person either but it is nice to see everyone looking clean and neat every night for donner for a change. It isn't something that happens every day and I don't see an issue with wearing Dockers and a Polo shirt to dinner, it's just as comfortable.

I agree that one should follow the guide lines of the cruise line. I also think that people feel they have to be "dressy" for every dinner. Smart casual is just a step above jeans and a tee shirt and you can be just as comfortable. I'm not a dress up person either but it is nice to see everyone looking clean and neat every night for donner for a change. It isn't something that happens every day and I don't see an issue with wearing Dockers and a Polo shirt to dinner, it's just as comfortable.

Once again we have someone who feels they have the right to dictate what is comfortable and what is not comfortable.

This is where some people misunderstand. We are not talking about jeans and a T shirt. No one said anything about T shirt. We know that T shirts are not allowed in the dining rooms at nite. They specifically state that.

We are talking about wearing nice clean jeans, with a nice collard shirt or for girls a nice dressy top. That would be considered clean and neat. So I don't see an issue wearing jeans. (on non formal nites)

But back to what I said again and again.......as long as Carnival ALLOWS jeans in the dining room on non formal nite, people will continue to wear them. :)

People that wear jeans to non formal nite have no class:confused: Wow, I do feel sorry for you.

Truth be told I don't even wear jeans to the dining room:) But I have friends and family member who do. And let me tell you they are some of the most classiest people I know;)

And for your info. if they were told not to wear jeans in the dining room, they would not get as you say pissed off:rolleyes: (pissed off, now that's class)

Once again it is Carnival's dress code that dictates what to wear in the dining room and it still does not include jeans.

Then why does Carnival allow people to wear jeans in the dining room. You keep talking theory. I deal in the real world, which in this case is on the ship. And in the real world jeans are allowed in the dining room for dinner. It is as simple as that.

I have never seen anyone asked to leave the dining room because they had jeans on. I have never heard of anyone being asked to leave the dining room because they had jeans on. However, I have heard of people being asked to leave the dining room because they had shorts on.

Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that it is Carnival's policy that shorts are not allowed and that jeans are allowed.

Perhaps if you stopped reading the web site, and making your own interpretion regarding how you wish it to read (since the web site clearly does not forbid jeans) and instead actually joined a Carnival cruise and made a first hand observation, you would see that Carnival's policy is to allow jeans in the dining room. If this is a problem for you, then perhaps Carnival may not be the best choice of cruise lines for you.

Archived