Any talk of RCI offering Anytime Dining?

Thanks for the repost! Yep that does concern me. The Grand is the ship in Galveston if I remember correctly. As I said even one night of the being handed a beeper would ruin my vacation. I don't go to restaurents here in town if they hand me a beeper. Cindy handled it very well and Princess did seem to fix their mistake quickly. Ummm more thought is needed on this one before I book with Princess.

Thanks for the repost! Yep that does concern me. The Grand is the ship in Galveston if I remember correctly. As I said even one night of the being handed a beeper would ruin my vacation. I don't go to restaurents here in town if they hand me a beeper. Cindy handled it very well and Princess did seem to fix their mistake quickly. Ummm more thought is needed on this one before I book with Princess.

If you get bumped like Cindy (probably for an elite passenger), just be firm like her and ask for your assignment back. I just don't think all this wrangling to get what you were wanted and confirmed in the first place is much fun, though. Who wants to spend time waiting for an interview with the Maitre 'd to beg for your original assignment, or a standing reservation in "anytime".

I read on another thread that the PC dining on Princess is not working well. People posted that they had very long waits in order to do the anytime dining and that the only times that did not have a wait were either very early or very late. And some people who request traditional dining aren't able to get it, and there's a waiting list for it. (This is all 3rd-party information. I have never been on anything but RCCL so far.)

My friends would tell you that on their NCL cruise, it appeared that everyone wanted to "anytime dine" at 7:30. So they all waited "lotsatime".

To be fair, they had a group of 10, but they reported that it affected all. They are done with cruise lines that offer that. ( two tries)

Go to dining anytime on Princess on formal night., While your wife is wearing an evening gown and you are wearing a tuxedo, while the people at the next table are wearing guess what?

That's not exactly true or fair. The suggested dress in Princess' anytime dining rooms is the same as it is in the traditional dining room. If people decide not to follow the dress suggestion, it is as likely that you will see them in the traditional dining room as in an anytime dining room. While I have a number of problems with the way Princess' anytime dining system is operated, the dress of guests in either style of dining is a reflection of the individual guests and not the style of dining. Both RCI and Princess could do a better job of enforcing the dress codes, but appear fearful of offending the offenders.:(

This is one of those different strokes for different folks kind of threads. Everyone has an opinion and no one is really right or wrong. While we have never been on any cruise that offered anytime dining, it would not affect our decision on taking a cruise on a line offering it. My wife and I will be empty nesters as of this fall, and our future cruise dollars will be decided by pricing and itinerary especially considering that we can now be more flexible when we can cruise.

Our oldest daughter went on the Caribbean Princess and loved the anytime dining concept. I am sure we will try the Princess line sometime in the near future.

John & Shari

We like both scheduled and free-style dining. Doesn't really matter one way or another cause both have their advantages. We have been on 2 Norwegian cruises & enjoyed being able to go eat anytime we wanted. Only had to wait twice - both on captain's nights, but only about a 10 minute wait. I can handle that! We also enjoy scheduled dining, getting to know the wait staff & table partners. We also are enjoying scheduling cruises on different cruise lines cause there are differences. Just give me a reasonably-priced cruise, good itinerary & I can't wait to go!!!

I will admit to having read only the 1st and last pages of this thread so if another TA has already posted this, my apologies.

I was recently on a Freedom of the Seas Inaugural. The question as to whether or not RCI was contemplating a change to a freestyle-type dining experience was met with a big NO.

That having been said, I supposed they're free to change their mind on that at any time. As of mid-May, though, as agents were were being told that RCI was sticking with traditional dining.

I've already posted, but continue to read with interest. I'm noticing there seems to be a correlation between what people's preferences are & the reason they cruise. It seems that a good majority of people who enjoy free-style/ personal choice dining also book based on price/itinerary. While price is a factor for most everyone, itinerary isn't. Most people who prefer a traditional experience, cruise for the ship's atmosphere & itinerary is 2nd. If they can get a great itinerary on a ship of they're liking, that's perfect. However, they won't sacrifice the ship experience they enjoy for an itinerary. Also, it seems that many people who prefer casual dress, prefer flexible dining times.

We're in the group that chooses a ship, & the itinerary is secondary. If all lines become casual & offer anytime dining, we will no longer cruise. We would then be gettng an experience that we can get on land, w/o the risks inherent to cruising.

As always, there will be exceptions to any situation. I may be seeing more into this than is there, but it does seem that the 2 sets of people (Anytime/Traditional) cruise for different reasons.

I will admit to having read only the 1st and last pages of this thread so if another TA has already posted this, my apologies.

I was recently on a Freedom of the Seas Inaugural. The question as to whether or not RCI was contemplating a change to a freestyle-type dining experience was met with a big NO.

That having been said, I supposed they're free to change their mind on that at any time. As of mid-May, though, as agents were were being told that RCI was sticking with traditional dining.

This is encouraging new. :) If RCCL is staying traditional, I'm sure Celebrity will too. That's perfect for us. :D

TARHEELJFAN:

You could not have explained the difference between two groups of people and why they go on cruises better.

I and my family go on cruises for the cruise experience and we could not care less for where the ship goes and what ports it calls upon.

We are booked on the Mariner of the Seas for two cruises back to back . . On June 18/06 we sail on the Mariner of the Seas for the Western Caribbean and on June 25/ 06 we sail on the same ship for the Western Caribbean.

We are also booked on two cruises back to back on the Freedom of the Seas going to the same ports. All that we are interested in is what is the difference from a passenger point of view between the Mariner and the Freedom and is there any difference between the dining experience on the two ships.?

We also go for the cruise experience too or we would fly to the city & stay in a resort! The only time itinerary is really a factor is if we have been on the same itinerary several times. We do like to get off the ship too. Cruising is the best!

Archived