booking direct vs. TA

I put a courtesy hold today on a Dec 16, 2007 cruise on Vision of the Seas to Mexico, for my family of 6. Can anyone tell me if I'm better off finding a local travel agent (unknown and haven't been able to get any recommendations), securing the booking online or actually calling the cruise line tomorrow? Any advantages of one way vs. another? I booked a trip on Princess last year with a TA and got nothing special from her - no price break, no incentives, no freebies, etc. And last question - can I only get price adjustments if I'm booked with a TA? Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

well-there's alot in ur question,1) imho yes most good independant ta's especially if they own the agency like mine do offer all sorts of goodies. wine or packages that suit you,discounts if it's not certain lines. champagne on arrival was my first of many perks recently that I didnt ask for or expected and a free spa treatment ,so since I cant tell u who just ask and maybe someone will share.the lines want you to think it's all even...bull imo.

Just call RCI and book it. That way, you can contact them with any questions, concerns or changes you may have. You won't have to wait for the TA's business hours or go through a middleman.

We booked once through a TA, unfortuately we go the TA from H**L, now we do everything directly this way if there are any issues we get it resolved without having to go through a third party.

Guest cruzr44
I put a courtesy hold today on a Dec 16, 2007 cruise on Vision of the Seas to Mexico, for my family of 6. Can anyone tell me if I'm better off finding a local travel agent (unknown and haven't been able to get any recommendations), securing the booking online or actually calling the cruise line tomorrow? Any advantages of one way vs. another? I booked a trip on Princess last year with a TA and got nothing special from her - no price break, no incentives, no freebies, etc. And last question - can I only get price adjustments if I'm booked with a TA? Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

What I did was book through Royal Caribbean in order to lock in my price and get the cabin I wanted. I then shopped around and found a TA (online) who offered a $200 ship board credit. The price was the same as RC will not allow a TA to discount, only give you an incentive. I had my TA take over the booking from RC which was easy as a three way phone call which my TA made. She will also watch for price drops (I will too) and apply that if it happens. RC will give you price adjustments but you have to look and then call them if and when you see one.

mx55mom@yahoo.com if I didn't make sense.

Having been a TA who booked lots of cruises, we used to love those who used us because cruise line does all the work and we got a hefty commission. Retired now, I book us through the cruise line directly. Saves us money, and nothing is lost. Before working as a TA, I never much liked the wine in the room anyway, since I don't drink it. After seeing the commission, I refuse to use TA now because it's such a waste of my money, better spent on an upgrade or something. Cruise line reps give you wonderful help. As for specials, just give them your loyalty number, and they will continue to look for discounts for you. Also, keep an eye on prices on the internet, and if there's a decrease in amount, just call cruise line and they will honor.

Having been a TA who booked lots of cruises, we used to love those who used us because cruise line does all the work and we got a hefty commission. Retired now, I book us through the cruise line directly. Saves us money, and nothing is lost. Before working as a TA, I never much liked the wine in the room anyway, since I don't drink it. After seeing the commission, I refuse to use TA now because it's such a waste of my money, better spent on an upgrade or something. Cruise line reps give you wonderful help. As for specials, just give them your loyalty number, and they will continue to look for discounts for you. Also, keep an eye on prices on the internet, and if there's a decrease in amount, just call cruise line and they will honor.

What is a waste of money by using a TA? Most charge nothing more than the cruiseline? The cruiseline's are the one's making the money by not paying commission to an agent. ..and I don't see them discounting your cruise the cost of the commission they saved!

Book direct then shop for a TA. I found a great TA but, only after asking around, I even went to the well-known website where TAs bid on your cruise request but, didn't find anyone there, most were too pushy. I finally found my TA through a friend of a friend. We now have a much better deal than the cruise line was offering directly. We have a lower price and a fantastic amenities package! The moral for me was just keep asking and not to settle for the first TA that came along.

Nick

There is a flip side though, if you have a problem on board, one call to your TA and they handle the problem. You don't have to fight with people.

I booked directly through the cruise line, but I may switch it as it gets closer.

Does anyone know that when ***** gets within 90 days (90 day ticker) and you see a good price, can you give them your booking and get the lower price?

At this point with my cruise over a year away, I'll keep control.

i guess it all depends on finding a recommended ta. i just went thru a battle with my ta to take advanage of price drops on my cruise. they insisted i could not CHANGE my cabins for lower priced cat. because final pymt had been made. they insisted it would be a CANC AND REBOOK and i would be charged a canc fee from rci. having read posts from others i knew they were incorrect. i spoke with rci several times and all their agents verified i could do a change without penalties, but because i booked thru a ta they could not touch the reservation. only the ta could authorize the change. only thru my persistance did my ta finally call rci, and when they called me back with the new rates never apoligized for their misinformation. they were apsolutely annoyed i had changed my booking and thus reduced their comm rate. i was treated as a problem customer when all i wanted was what was available to everyone else. i wasn't asking for special consideration. so keep this in mind when booking with a ta. i know i never will again. rci is so easy to deal with and eager to take care of all their customers, no matter what pirce category you book. i now have 3 lower priced cabins instead of the 2 i originally booked and saved $1,900.

Did you ask them to transfer your ressie back to RCCL? I did that once after the TA promised the world and didn't come through, I e mailed their corporate office and after a few e mails she transfered the ressie back to the cruise line. But they don't do it easily

i would if i could, but this ta has their own canc penalties. if you book a vacation and canc you are out the deposit or you can apply the dep to a different trip. i'm sure they would consider a transfer a canc of their agreement with me. i guess i'm stuck with them. i'm hoping the rates go down again on my new cabin cat. i'll bust their chops and request a price adjustment.

Archived