Tampa Hotels.....Marriott Waterside Hotel

sail7seas

I checked again and Grand Hyatt shows no rooms available.

I would book there if we could get a deluxe king bed room (neither of us smoke but I would take a room either smoking or non-smoking....any residue odor would not bother us) for the dates we need.

I still prefer Marriott Waterside but am not willing to take a risk on HAL sending us to some dive....which apparently they have done to other folks. :(

I agree with Chrisnd about this hotel. We have stayed there and it is lovely. It is on Courtney Campbell Causeway about 1/2 mile or so from the airport. Armani's Restaurant on the top floor has wonderful food. We did not eat at their Coffee Shop type restaurant. I believe Armani's is only open for dinner. We have not stayed at the downtown Hyatt, so can't speak to that. We have gone to a dinner at the Marriott Waterside. The hotel itself is lovely and our 'banquet style' dinner was just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there or at the Grand Hyatt near the airport.

Sue

For our past New Years cruise on the Horizon we stayed at the Hilton Westshore by the airport for $130.00 per night, arriving on 12/28/03, the night before our cruise. It included free parking for the length of our eleven day cruise. That saved us $110.00 for pier parking. It cost us $5.00 each for transfer to and from ship, so adding $5.00 each way for tips, we figured the stay only cost us $80.00. Not bad and Rita was happy to shop at the big mall near by. Our shuttle was waiting for us upon disembarking ship. The driving force behind us staying at the Westshore was being able to leave our auto, however, we liked the hotel so much, even if we fly in to Tampa, we plan on staying there for future cruises. We give the Hotel an A+++

Sorry for the delay in responding to your queries, Sail7Seas!

First of all, I speak of my understanding of the hotels in the area from the perspective of being a Tampa resident. The Grand Hyatt off of Rt. 60 and Tampa Bay is a great Hotel (with Oystercatchers Sunday Brunch a must if you get the chance!) with one of the best restaurants in Florida, Armanis, at the very top of the hotel. The downside is that the Hotel is actually quite far from EVERYTHING to do in Tampa, Clearwater or anywhere else. You really have nothing within walking distance except the row of slimy nude dance establishments directly across the street from the Hyatt.

The Marriot Waterside Hotel is one of those Marriots that is a cut above the others. She is a GRAND hotel in every sense of the word, is stunningly beautiful inside, is within walking distance of the port, and has many different casual, formal, and semi-formal dining options. The Tampa Cable car trolley (a tourist attraction type of ol San Fransisco cable car) runs right in front of the Marriot and can be taken directly to the port. Next to the hotel is the Channelside district with IMAX films, a movie theatre with stadium seating, tons of restaurants, shopping etc. NO downside.

The Wyndham Harbour Island Hotel is right across the water channel from the Marriot. The Island is connected by a short, 4 lane bridge that has pedestrian traffic allowances on both sides. The Wyndham is a beautiful hotel and is right next to the Harbour Island Athletic Club. A great Hotel, but not quite as close to the shopping and port as the Marriot.

Don't stay at the Hyatt downtown - trust me. For the price that you pay, you will be truly dissapointed.

I really wouldn't reccomend staying anywhere in the Westshore area as it is so far away from the Port. If you are in town for a few days, though, the Hilton across from the International Plaza is a good decision. You have Roy Yamaguchi's restaurant, Flemings, Selmons, and tons of restaurants at the Int'l plaza (a ritzy high-end shopping area) right across the street.

Just some suggestions from someone who has either been to or has had folks stay at all of these hotels.

uncialman

uncialman.......

What a fabulous response. I greatly appreciate it as just yesterday, we booked the Grand Hyatt. We will be cancelling that reservation. Your comparison of the major choices in hotels is invaulable. You saved us from being very unhappy.

Our first choice is still the Marriot and if there was availability for independent booking that is what we would do but the only way to book the dates we need was through HAL. I'm just not willing to be at their wimpsy to "tell" us we will be staying other than what we " bought" from them.

So, we will either make a booking at Hilton or Wyndam.

Thank you very much to everyone who helped. I know nothing about Tampa at all and am looking forward to exploring what sounds like a fine city. I appreciate everyone's assistance.

• 1 month later...

What about the Radisson Riverwalk in Tampa. I understand they are 1 mile from the pier and offer a complimentary shuttle. We have a reservation there for a river view room on 2/18 and are paying $124 p/night (AAA discount, including continental breakfast).

Thank you PCruzer....At the moment we have a booking at Wyndam. I still prefer Marriott and will have my TA call from time to time to see if a room opens up.

At least we know we have a reservation at a nice hotel, so we don't feel pressured but would like to have our first choice.

I would have been willing to pay the higher cost HAL charges for hotels in order to stay at Marriott, but I am not willing to pay the higher price and not be assured that is the hotel we will be staying in. Funny thing about me.....I like to make the decision where I shall lay my head at night. :) Not have some bean counter do it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

HI--

Know you have said that you have stayed at Embassy suites-San Diego several times. We just booked that hotel for our Jan. pre-cruise Hawaii/Tahiti. Any advice on room location that we should ask for? Also noted that some rooms have balconys, some not, but both priced the same. We asked for a bay-front with balcony, 9th floor or above. Good choice or????

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Janet

I had a large group sail from Tampa two years ago (Veendam). Many of our group booked their own hotels but others in our group stayed at the Marriott. The Marriott is a lovely hotel in a lovely location. Most of the construction is finished around the area. I booked some of our people at the Hyatt by the airport. The price was much better than the Marriott Waterside and there was much to offer in the way of restaurants and shopping. The Wyndham is also a great place to stay. Nice restaurants (one on the water) and small shops.

I would stay away from the Hyatt downtown. It is old and alot of the businesses around it are boarded up. The Hilton at the Airport is awful. It used to be the airport hotel that Holland America used. I wouldn't let any of my people stay there.

I found the best hotel rates at: hotelbook.com

S7S... I doubt that HAL will try to put you in a hotel other than the Marriott Waterside. Suite passengers do get preferential treatment when it comes to hotels booked. You speak very highly of your TA on these boards. She would never let HAL do that to you.

[quote name='jazzsea

I found the best hotel rates at: hotelbook.com

S7S... I doubt that HAL will try to put you in a hotel other than the Marriott Waterside. Suite passengers do get preferential treatment when it comes to hotels booked. You speak very highly of your TA on these boards. She would never let HAL do that to you.[/QUOTE']

Thank you for your post. I was not aware that Suite pax had any special consideration with regard to hotel bookings. Through the years, there have been a few occassions when HAL has told us we could not book hotel with them....that was okay, we booked on our own and it is most usually a better rate anyway.

But......in the event, HAL should decide to put us elsewhere than Marriot Waterside (and they reserve the right to substitute hotels), what could my TA possibly do about it? Most likely we would not know what they had done until the docs arrived and the 'coupon' for prepaid hotel would indicate a different hotel. Just how much could TA do about it at that point? If they had enough Marriot rooms for everyone who requested them, we would have been assigned there. If we're assigned elsewhere, I would assume their allotment of rooms have been assigned to other people.

[quote name='dramamama']Sail7Seas: I had no problem booking the Marriott for Jan. 2, 2005 on Travelocity. They had a 2 for breakfast special listed for $134. We will also be on the Jan. 3 Veendam cruise.[/QUOTE]

How fun you will also be on that cruise. Hope we get to meet.

We need the room for January 1 as well. That is the date that we are having the problem with....for obvious reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
On another thread I read a recommendation for the Chase hotel? Does anyone have experience or information about this suite hotel? We are sailing the Inspiration in Feb and would like to fly into Tampa the day before. thanks

Archived