Transatlantic Crossings

KCruisin'

We just put a deposit on the 11/24/07 cruise from Barcelona to Rio. This will be our 4th cruise with O so we KNOW we will love the ship and crew and all that goes with it. My question is for all of you who have done transatlantic crossings before on O - is there lots to do on all those sea days? Do they have more activities and lectures etc? Were there always people in the card room looking for partners? We have never had more than two days at sea on any of our 7 cruises - will we be ready to jump overboard??

My first cruise on Oceania was a Transatlantic in 2003.....and have done 2 more on "O" and booked Lis to Rio in Nov......They will have activities.....card room is a good place.....Of course for me.....just put me on the SEA......I had a Cabana for a 14 day Panama and really enjoyed it so I have booked on for the Lis to Rio Cruise.....by the way...I live in Carhage, Tx.....where is Highland Village, Tx.......sammie kay

If you think you may like the relaxation of several days at sea, you should enjoy this trip.Bring some books and if you play bridge there will probably be folks looking to play. It's low key all the way but my husband and I took the TA last November Lisbon - Miami and although we had a few rough days, we enjoyed the cruise immensely.

Sammiekay, hello to you, wish we were going too but this year we are going to try Lisbon to Miami on the newly revitalized Century (Celebrity) We know it will fall short of the Regatta, but the ship leaves earlier (Oct 26) and last year the Christmas rush hit us seemingly without any prep and I vowed not again to be away so close to the holidays. Have a great trip, I know you will be dancing up a storm and enjoying the Martini bar scene. Keep on cruising. Peggy and John DeMayo

PS. We have signed on to the LA to Miami on Jan 28. Any chance??

So nice to hear from you.......Did the Panama Canal this past March on "O" and doing the Black Sea in Sept.....then Lis to Rio.......maybe a little too much.....Trying Holland next year for a change....My dancing days may be over.....I hope not.....fell last month walking my pups and broke my right foot, had surgery and still in a boot......wish I could join ya'll.....who knows we may end up together again........sk

Hi Peggyann,

I am just starting to browse the Oceania postings looking for reviews and input on their cruises. I see you were on a TransAtlantic cruise in November. How was that? The reason I am asking is that on another message board, someone wrote a long review of their first O cruise on a TA in November from Lisbon to Miami on the Regatta. They said they had very rough seas and the ship actually flooded. Also, they explained how horrific things were as far as the food and the service. Also, they said they were not allowed on the upper deck due to maintenance on that level. They were also not allowed to dine in the main dining room for the first 3 nights because of maintenance. Do you think this was the same cruise you were on? Their review was totally negative. How was your experience?

I would like another person's perspective on this particular cruise. I have always heard and read positive things about Oceania, so I was quite surprised, to say the least, to read so many negative comments.

Ginny

PS I don't mean to hijack this thread.

I'm interested in hearing repsonses to this too.

I put a deposit on the trans-atlantic on Nov 12, 2006 from Lisbon to Miami, but it's not too late to change my mind. Crystal has the same itenerary at the same time, just considerably more, so this cruise seemed like a deal.

I am just starting to browse the Oceania postings looking for reviews and input on their cruises. I see you were on a TransAtlantic cruise in November. How was that?

Hi Ginny,

We were on the Regatta for the transatlantic you mention. The Regatta had the misfortune of running into a late tropical storm that had an erratic path. Yes, it was chaotic on board, with water entering some of the starboard cabins. That said, we'd still be quite happy to do another transatlantic cruise on an Oceania ship.

So why would we? First, we think tropical storms are quite unlikely that time of the year. Second, we prefer smaller ships, even though they may be less stable in rough seas. Third, we loved the aplomb and good service that Oceania demonstrated, even when the crew should have been as challenged as we were by the rough seas. Fourth, we don't get seasick. Fifth, we sort of enjoy rough seas, as long as we can get around safely. Sixth, you can't beat the value, considering the prices Oceania charges for a transatlantic voyage. Seventh, you meet more interesting people on transatlantic voyages and you get to enjoy their company better without the distraction and frenzy of port stops.

That's our viewpoint anyway.

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your detailed message! I agree with your viewpoints on how nice a TransAtlantic cruise sounds! However, on the particular review I am referring to, the passenger said that they were really disappointed in several aspects of that cruise. They said that they were not allowed to go up to the top deck the entire cruise because new carpeting was being installed, and due to that, the noise level and banging sounded like jackhammers. Also, the food at the buffets was not hot and the deserts were very dried out and some pies or cakes were still frozen. They said the crew was extremely unfriendly, etc.

I don't want to go on and on. All I am wondering about is how others on the same cruise perceived their experiences. I am so keen on trying Oceania and when I ran across this particular review, I was stunned. How was the food you ate? How was the crew? How was your room steward?

I have never really heard or read negatives about Oceania and am very curious is this cruise was just a one off, as they say.

Thanks again.

How was the food you ate? How was the crew? How was your room steward?

The food was superb and served fresh and at the appropriate temperature. The crew was remarkable in their friendliness, readiness to serve, and sheer talent. The room stewards we had were also wonderful.

Ivan

We have been on two Atlantic crossings and one Pacific crossing and if you enjoy the the days at sea as much as we do then you will have a great time.

We crossed from Venice to FLL in 2004 on the Star Princess and from Monte Carlo to FLL last year on the then Raddisson (now Regent) Seven Seas Voyager.

Two different experiences, one a mega-ship and the other a small luxury ship. Both voyages were smooth except for a couple of days of wet and windy weather leaving Europe.

What we really enjoyed on both journeys was the port visits in the Med, Africa and the Atlantic Isles followed by 8 glorious days at sea. :):):)

We found on both voyages the ships were just about 50% occupied so there was lots of room and great service. The Voyager was, hands down, the most exceptional experience of service, cuisine and comfort. But there again it was quite a lot more expensive than Princess.

As we are now "getting on in years" we find the journey to Europe from the West Coast very tiring and will in future use the wonderful "O" itineraries to stay closer to home. If you are fit and mobile you must try the trans ocean cruises to truly fill your diary of "things you have done and enjoyed."

We have been on two Atlantic crossings and one Pacific crossing and if you enjoy the the days at sea as much as we do then you will have a great time.

We crossed from Venice to FLL in 2004 on the Star Princess and from Monte Carlo to FLL last year on the then Raddisson (now Regent) Seven Seas Voyager.

Two different experiences, one a mega-ship and the other a small luxury ship. Both voyages were smooth except for a couple of days of wet and windy weather leaving Europe.

What we really enjoyed on both journeys was the port visits in the Med, Africa and the Atlantic Isles followed by 8 glorious days at sea. :):):)

We found on both voyages the ships were just about 50% occupied so there was lots of room and great service. The Voyager was, hands down, the most exceptional experience of service, cuisine and comfort. But there again it was quite a lot more expensive than Princess.

As we are now "getting on in years" we find the journey to Europe from the West Coast very tiring and will in future use the wonderful "O" itineraries to stay closer to home. If you are fit and mobile you must try the trans ocean cruises to truly fill your diary of "things you have done and enjoyed."

What a wonderful and inspiring post! Thank you for the encouragement ... we are in our 50s and are just beginning to find ourselves in a position to travel as a couple (family vacations, children's college tuitions, etc. have been our main concern until recently).

At times, it seems as if the expense of travel is a bit much, but we are both of the mind that this is the time in our lives to go. And I know I have never regretted a travel experience.

We are booked on our first Oceania cruise - we leave in 17 months, and are enjoying the anticipation already.

Congratulations on your own travels!

Sorry to be late responding but I've just returned from a college grad weekend. Yes, I was fortunate to have been on the Lisbon - Miami last Nov with Sammykay, Joe and Ivan. There were some rough days early on which were kind of fun, a little rockin' and rollin' and you know you are on the high seas. (some folks had to be moved from flooded cabins though)

I do recall that the very upper deck was being worked on, but because the ship was by no means full, there were lounge chairs available on the pool deck and no sense of crowding, and yes the Main dining room was having new carpet installed and was not available for the first three nights.

None of this had a big impact on our having a great cruise. The two specialty restaurants are wonderful and we went to them for those first three nights. Hey, the price was so reasonable, the ship was far from full, the food was fabulous, and the service beautiful and we found the crew to be friendly and courteous. We love this ship and are planning our fifth cruise on her in January.

Sorry to be late responding but I've just returned from a college grad weekend. Yes, I was fortunate to have been on the Lisbon - Miami last Nov with Sammykay, Joe and Ivan. There were some rough days early on which were kind of fun, a little rockin' and rollin' and you know you are on the high seas. (some folks had to be moved from flooded cabins though)

I do recall that the very upper deck was being worked on, but because the ship was by no means full, there were lounge chairs available on the pool deck and no sense of crowding, and yes the Main dining room was having new carpet installed and was not available for the first three nights.

None of this had a big impact on our having a great cruise. The two specialty restaurants are wonderful and we went to them for those first three nights. Hey, the price was so reasonable, the ship was far from full, the food was fabulous, and the service beautiful and we found the crew to be friendly and courteous. We love this ship and are planning our fifth cruise on her in January.

I love reading the various points of view on these boards... We're booked on the 11/24/07 TA as well. The positive aspects of what I've read outweigh the negative so I'm really looking forward to sailing on Oceania for the first time.

Thanks again to all for all the info!!!

Archived