Dissapointed with ncl

mkutun

Cecilia: Thank you for mentioning some others who have experienced the same thing. I think I will save and then post the next email special I get that includes this clause. Apparently, sjbdtz thought I was making it up, even though I wrote exactly what happened (not an opinion, but the actual facts) regarding the email specials and what NCL said themselves. (I really hate to have someone who doesn't even know me assume that I can't understand what I read or hear, or worse to assume that I must be making it up to prove a point.) So, thanks for clearing it up.

sjbdtz: Were you so determined to prove me wrong that you wouldn't take the time to read the whole thread I referenced, but instead simply looked for my posts so that you could then come back and "shout" at me in capital letters? Considering that you're willing to take Cecelia's "word" for it, while you all but call me a liar, I guess there's not much more to say. You know, you purported to speak for everyone in your first post ("everyone else's" experience), but I didn't ask you if you had in fact spoken with "everyone." Sorry, I don't usually have thin skin, but really don't like people calling me either stupid or a liar. And I will save the next email and post it so that you don't just have to take my word and the word of everyone else who has encountered this (I think) new policy.

beachchick

Cecilia: Thank you for mentioning some others who have experienced the same thing. I think I will save and then post the next email special I get that includes this clause. Apparently, sjbdtz thought I was making it up, even though I wrote exactly what happened (not an opinion, but the actual facts) regarding the email specials and what NCL said themselves. (I really hate to have someone who doesn't even know me assume that I can't understand what I read or hear, or worse to assume that I must be making it up to prove a point.) So, thanks for clearing it up.

sjbdtz: Were you so determined to prove me wrong that you wouldn't take the time to read the whole thread I referenced, but instead simply looked for my posts so that you could then come back and "shout" at me in capital letters? Considering that you're willing to take Cecelia's "word" for it, while you all but call me a liar, I guess there's not much more to say. You know, you purported to speak for everyone in your first post ("everyone else's" experience), but I didn't ask you if you had in fact spoken with "everyone." Sorry, I don't usually have thin skin, but really don't like people calling me either stupid or a liar. And I will save the next email and post it so that you don't just have to take my word and the word of everyone else who has encountered this (I think) new policy.

beachchick

a) I read your thread, and I missed the other comments. Wasn't in any way calling you a liar. What I said, repeatedly was that I was flabbergasted by this...not that they said New Bookings Only (you see THAT, all the time)...but that they explicitly said that if an existing booking was cancelled, it wouldn't be allowed to rebook at the promotional rate. Typically when people say "my TA phoned & was told this" I respond, since I've seen lazy TAs, and some who are so busy, they don't really pay attention to the details, just accept the agent's statement...and time after time after time of NCL agents who quite simply get it wrong.

b) I don't type in all caps. Sometimes I will type a SINGLE word in caps. This is not to yell, but to demonstrate where the emPHAsis is, in my sentence. THIS IS WHAT IT WOULD LOOK LIKE, IF I WERE YELLING :eek:

To summarize, you were simply the messenger of something I found almost completely absurd. You then provided a link, which I read quickly (because I have a job, and can't spend ALL day on the board :( ), and in my quick perusal I didn't see any of the posts which unequivocally stated that existing reservations would not be allowed to rebook, though I saw your posts saying it again.

I didn't expect this to be interpreted as a personal attack, and apologize if that is your perception.

The point would be that as a consumer I can decide for myself what means more; the existing booking for more money with the exact things I wanted or the new booking for less money and taking whatever things I can get. There are sacrifices with giving up an existing booking. I may lose a prime cabin that the cruise line can then resell for more money. And for the sake of argument, what if I cancel because I've broken my foot and a week later the doctor says I'll be OK to travel and I want to rebook all before final payment is even due. NCL says that if I want to rebook, I can't do it at whatever sale price they have going at the time. I'm not entitled to a sale. I'm the consumer and the point is I decide how and where I spend my money.

I'm afraid you simply missed the point. If the company would allow a cancellation and then a rebooking, there would be no point whatsoever in the cruise line specifying "new bookings only." The phrase would be meaningless.

To a cruise line all category C cabins are the same, or else some would be a different category with a different price to reflect whatever difference there might be across the cabins. You'd wind up with hundreds of categories on a single ship. So allowing you to cancel and then book "new" would be effectively the same as giving you the lower price after the fact--rendering the "new bookings only" clause meaningless.

Look, I'm not saying I like the idea of a cruise line reducing the fare for "new bookings only." I'm saying that it's common practice among most mass-market cruise lines these days--based on the emails I'm receiving--so NCL shouldn't be singled out for doing it, and that allowing canceling and rebooking completely negates the cruise line's purpose in having the "new bookings only" clause.

I'm afraid you simply missed the point. If the company would allow a cancellation and then a rebooking, there would be no point whatsoever in the cruise line specifying "new bookings only." The phrase would be meaningless.
No, I'm afraid you're missing the point. I get what you're saying. You aren't getting what I'm saying about new bookings. And frankly, I've said it so many times over the last few weeks on this subject that I won't repeat myself again. As a few others have said, if this is NCL's policy or anyone's policy and I'm affected by it with my booking, I won't cruise on that line. I'm a premium level cruiser with a few lines (Diamond member on RCCL, etc.) and while I love cruising I also love other types of vacations and I'd give up a few cruises and lines if they restrict my options as a consumer. That's my choice and I'm allowed to do that. It's not important for you to understand the point I'm making if you've already established your opinion.

As a few others have said, if this is NCL's policy or anyone's policy and I'm affected by it with my booking, I won't cruise on that line. I'm a premium level cruiser with a few lines (Diamond member on RCCL, etc.) and while I love cruising I also love other types of vacations and I'd give up a few cruises and lines if they restrict my options as a consumer. That's my choice and I'm allowed to do that. It's not important for you to understand the point I'm making if you've already established your opinion.

I'm "afraid" that I would also be a member of this group. Love NCL but have had great cruises as well with other lines. We also have a timeshare & get out camping when we can. There are just too many options for our free time to be treated like that in a booking. Personally, I wouldn't fret about it either, I just wouldn't cruise that line

jmo

-Monte

I'm "afraid" that I would also be a member of this group. Love NCL but have had great cruises as well with other lines. We also have a timeshare & get out camping when we can. There are just too many options for our free time to be treated like that in a booking. Personally, I wouldn't fret about it either, I just wouldn't cruise that line

jmo

-Monte

The early bookers fill their ships. I can just wait until the prices drop about 3-4 weeks before sailing. They are even cheaper than those one day sales they have!!

Archived