Playa Uvas

rscima

What a great start! lol picturing you hearding everybody around. Please continue(when you feel better!):o (didn't realize you really didn't feel well, better pull my foot out of my mouth!)

Had you not pushed me just a little bit the review may have never actually surfaced. Thanks for waiting for me!

It has been kinda fun to let the oldest-child-syndrome take full effect. I figure this was my last hurrah now that my parents are feeling better and taking back their lives. I made all of the plans, collected all of the money, and told the driver where to take us and when to load us all back in the van to journey onward.

Now...back to the show:

It's always lovely to see Eduardo headed my way. He's one of those shy, retiring types. Fully in charge, but not bossy towards his people. His staff is wonderful, and if they aren't...they're gone when I return (generally about every two months). Eduardo has a gorgeous genuine smile and is an asset I hope the owners appreciate.

I originally booked Playa Uvas when I was traveling as the lone adult with two 20-21 year old females. Sis-o-Stir had met her match and didn't want to leave her new romance...now look what happened to her! :D Mr. Man doesn't travel, and thank God for that...someone has to stay home to feed two horses, two mini-donkeys, three dogs, 4-5 cats, and the kids who show up around here now and then!

Eduardo always has a smile and a busy but cheerful crew. I noticed a few new things this time...

#1...a raffle for a bottle of high end booze. The waiter who stood on the chair to draw the name was hilarious. We weren't involved in the drawing, but we all roared at the antics of this guy. He's definately good for a TV show if he doesn't make it at Playa Uvas.

continued...

Our table was ready and Santos took our drink orders. I made recommendations for the picky eaters and those who were afraid to eat at a real restaurant in a foreign country. Some had the beef or chicken fajitas, some had a burger...I had the fish fillet, with rice and steamed veggies. It was quite a large portion and very tasty. Everyone was happy with their choices for lunch, and Santos kept the chips and salsa coming...and the margaritas, cokes, and bottled water.

New #2:

The beach beds are now pay-per-use. I have to agree with the reasoning behind this change. The water is gorgeous, and most people spend more time in the water than on the beach beds. Good choice to make these pay-to-use.

Most of us didn't bring/wear our bathing suits, and were full to popping from our bountious lunch. Those who brought suits went to put them on. I started to grab my camera to take photos of the Newlyweds when I heard music...and clapping.

After taking a few bows to nobody, I realized another "new" thing at Uvas...

New #3:

Dancing waiters! :D :eek:

At first I was a little dismayed...my beloved Playa Uvas becoming "just another Cozumel beach club"?!? My worries quickly left me as my OLD FOLKS began hootin' and hollerin' and clapping along. Cute, cute waiters, dancing a line dance with whomever of the crowd wanted to join in. One tune only, and nothing provocative, just a few inexperienced wiggles and lots of giggles.

Certainly a "G" rated act...immensely enjoyed by all ages. Another good idea, especially for spring and summer crowds.

I wasn't aware that the beach beds were pay per use! Not until I read another post..and of course it has been confirmed by ed, and you.

I loved them beach beds! They were soo COMFY!!

Thank you for sharing! i can see them now..dancing & shaking their bom bom...lol:D

hi stircrzy!

I'm planning to be in uvas by may (looking forward for it!!!), since my husband is a little bit picky with meals, I need you to let me know how was the fish you had in there; it will help me to convince him uvas will be great!!! :D

thanks a lot!

Most of us didn't bring/wear our bathing suits, and were full to popping from our bountious lunch. Those who brought suits went to put them on. I started to grab my camera to take photos of the Newlyweds when I heard music...and clapping.

After taking a few bows to nobody, I realized another "new" thing at Uvas...

New #3:

Dancing waiters! :D :eek:

At first I was a little dismayed...my beloved Playa Uvas becoming "just another Cozumel beach club"?!? My worries quickly left me as my OLD FOLKS began hootin' and hollerin' and clapping along. Cute, cute waiters, dancing a line dance with whomever of the crowd wanted to join in. One tune only, and nothing provocative, just a few inexperienced wiggles and lots of giggles.

Certainly a "G" rated act...immensely enjoyed by all ages. Another good idea, especially for spring and summer crowds.

The fish was very tasty, and the portion was large. It was served with a scoop of rice and cooked perfectly steamed vegetables. I declined the garlic butter sauce, but I bet that's good, too!

I will try to post a photo when I track down my cousin and get her to email me one!

If your hubby likes fish, he'll like that dish...very fresh fish!

The fish was very tasty, and the portion was large. It was served with a scoop of rice and cooked perfectly steamed vegetables. I declined the garlic butter sauce, but I bet that's good, too!

I will try to post a photo when I track down my cousin and get her to email me one!

If your hubby likes fish, he'll like that dish...very fresh fish!

stircrzy,

thank you very much for the info! i hope you can get the photo, that way, i'm pretty sure my husband will certainly be happy in uvas! :)

Well, sadly, I'm back from my 14 days of back-to-back cruises and 2 days in Key Largo, but I bring back wonderful memories, especially my day at Play Uvas. I had booked over 7 months ago after reading all the great stuff (thanks everyone) and so I pretty much knew what to expect. My friend and I arrived around 9:30 AM and were greeted by the charming Carmen who immediately made us feel like visiting royalty; making sure to introduce all the staff to us, giving us our locker key, checking to make sure we had a nice spot picked out, our food ordered, and any other details she could think of.

After settling in, Santos was right there to take our drink order (we started with soft drinks because we didn't want any alcohol before our water sports). Originally, we had signed for the snorkeling/beach break package, but after spotting the kayaks, we asked Carmen if we could switch to them instead. Of course, she immediately handled that for us. (gosh, these folks make you feel SO SPECIAL catering to your every wish).

There were 6 ships in town that day and many ship tours snorkeling and kayaking at Playa Uvas, but the staff made sure it was never crowded and that we could go at whatever time we chose. We joined a smaller kayak group and had a wonderful time. Edwin was our guide (along with a couple of other guys) and he took us to some nice spots and fed the fish to bring them to us. It was really fun sitting in the clear kayak as the fish swam under and around us.

After kayaking, we each had a deep-tissue massage with Luz and her fingers were magic! After 45 minutes of sea kayaking, she massaged away any soreness and left us feeling like wet noodles. It was such a luxury to be massaged while listening to the water lapping at the shore and feeling the trade winds blow across my skin. Luz certainly lived up to her reputation. I've had massages at lots of spots, including Canyon Ranch and Burke Williams, but in my opinion, Luz's technique is superior to them all!

After the massages, Santos brought us lunch. Yummy chicken fajitas. We ate until we couldn't move. Then, after we felt like we could stumble back down to our lounger, we were met there by Santos with two refreshing Miami Vices. Ahhh, life just doesn't get any better.

We also visited Sol and bought some of her amazing jewelry. Lovely artisanship and very reasonable prices.

Around 4:00, we called it a day, handed out tips to all the wonderful staff members, hugged Carmen good-bye and took one of the conveniently waiting taxis back to the ship. Just writing this review brings a smile to my face. We will definitely be returning to Playa Uvas again!

Well, I'm not stircrzy but I can tell you that we liked very much the fish and the chicken fajitas that are included in the menu. Tell your husband to not worry, we never heard any complaints, or bad comments from anybody we saw eating. Hope this helps you. Have a great cruise!

Artseeker

:mad:

There were 6 ships in town that day and many ship tours snorkeling and kayaking at Playa Uvas' date=' but the staff made sure it was never crowded and that we could go at whatever time we chose. We joined a smaller kayak group and had a wonderful time. [b']Edwin[/b] was our guide (along with a couple of other guys) and he took us to some nice spots and fed the fish to bring them to us. It was really fun sitting in the clear kayak as the fish swam under and around us.

Interesting, I thought that guide that fed fish was fired.:mad:

Our day at Playa Uvas had ups and downs. The service and staff was incredible. The food, drinks and staff were awesome.

The beach was not what we desired but we made due. We like sandy beaches to throw a football around - this has no such thing. We like to float in sandy waters but it was all hard rock. Even with that we floated around carefully. Swimming in a sandy beach is not there.

Some of us took the Kayak tour and love it. I took the snorkling tour and got nailed by jelly fish. My family did not get bit and loved the trip but I was in pain. I got bit when first hitting the water. The staff was very concerned and took very good care of me. The staff was great.

The Mango Marg. were awesome. Upon getting ready to leave my husband ended up with a piece of glass in his heel. The staff at Playa Uvas hurried to help him and removed the glass and treated is foot.

Over all it was a good day. Thanks Carmen ! You guys are great!

:mad:

Interesting, I thought that guide that fed fish was fired.:mad:

Interesting that you never came back to comment, nor did the "coz" lady who is a massage therapist....hmmm

well, while a guy feeding fish may be detrimental to the environment, I would think destroying mangroves, repeated environmental problems and citations and unpaid fines for blatently destroying protected groves to build a parking lot would worry you...

I understand you are concerned about the environment soooo...have you looked into the facts regarding Naachi???

There is a reason it is NOT open to the public....apparently it is now busy busy with the people from that hotel, but still not open to public...they owe fines and lost their biz license over their environmental problems.

The people in Coz who are on the trip advisor forum say it is a beautiful beach but have nothing good to say about the owners of Naachi and what they did to the environment. I also hope you get on all the "snorkel" tip threads where many cruisers advise others to "take cereal from the buffet to feed the fish"

Please do look into this too...thanks

Interesting that you never came back to comment, nor did the "coz" lady who is a massage therapist....hmmm

well, while a guy feeding fish may be detrimental to the environment, I would think destroying mangroves, repeated environmental problems and citations and unpaid fines for blatently destroying protected groves to build a parking lot would worry you...

I understand you are concerned about the environment soooo...have you looked into the facts regarding Naachi???

There is a reason it is NOT open to the public....apparently it is now busy busy with the people from that hotel, but still not open to public...they owe fines and lost their biz license over their environmental problems.

The people in Coz who are on the trip advisor forum say it is a beautiful beach but have nothing good to say about the owners of Naachi and what they did to the environment. I also hope you get on all the "snorkel" tip threads where many cruisers advise others to "take cereal from the buffet to feed the fish"

Please do look into this too...thanks

I did come back and comment, but if you look back all that got poofed????? You made your point about the other beach club on that thread.

I did come back and comment, but if you look back all that got poofed????? You made your point about the other beach club on that thread.

Oh, ok, sorry I did not see your post before it got poofed.

Not sure that my "point' was taken to heart, since I didn't see anyone comment about it. I will look for your comments in the other thread. I would think you would be concerned about it ..thanks

I also replied to Eduardo's first response to the fish feeding issue, (prior to the firing post) commending him for being environmentally aware enough to take steps to correct the situation. Not only is my post gone, but his as well, which is a shame as it was elegantly written.

While the situation at Nachi Cocom is deplorable, I do not have enough time in my day to address all the environmental atrocities in Cozumel... progress in the name of tourism. Fish feeding in the marine park is one I have chosen to address repeatedly:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=110060

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103072

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=94332

This is not an attack on Uvas, just my attempt to bring awareness to one particular environmental abuse. As far as this last post, I believe the trip this review is based on pre-dates this whole discussion.

Sally,

I think the reason all of the posts regaurding the last fish feeding event were deleted is that we all qouted Ed, and his user ID looks to have been deleated. (If a memeber name is deleted all of their posts and anyone that qouted his posts are gone aswell). I found a few other posts addressing questions to him with a member responding to his anwer, but you dont see his answer. Hope that helps.

Well that would be a shame if he was deleted...but on the Belize board NONE of the belize people can even access the board let alone post...

Thanks Sally...yes I think the review in question was before the one fish feeding guy was fired

Nonetheless, I would think Ken would take some interest in this other situation since he was very interested in the fish feeding. Cutting down an entire protected grove in Florida would be a crime..and proscecuted as such.

Well that would be a shame if he was deleted...but on the Belize board NONE of the belize people can even access the board let alone post...

Thanks Sally...yes I think the review in question was before the one fish feeding guy was fired

Nonetheless, I would think Ken would take some interest in this other situation since he was very interested in the fish feeding. Cutting down an entire protected grove in Florida would be a crime..and proscecuted as such.

No the review that I quoted was well after the first incident were management claimed they would not tolerate anyone feeding fish.

Please dont try to sugar coat this situation by pointing another resorts issues two wrongs dont make a right.

How about you two take your environmental arguments somewhere else and duke it out so that the rest of us can post reviews and answer questions about Playa Uvas. It would be a shame to have your ongoing issues cause this very informative post to go poof.