Playa Uvas

rscima

Has anyone heard of or been to this place? I think it's new & was just wondering if it's worth a visit. I think they have a "clear kayak" excursion but what if you just want to hang out at their beach for the day & eat/drink?

Dolphin 8/85

Norway 7/87

Ecstacy 6/96

Big Red Boat 1/00

Disney Magic 4/00

Paradise 4/02

Sensation 6/04 (with the kids)

Sensation 10/04 (WITHOUT the kids-WooHoo!)

• 3 weeks later...

The folks who run this excursion were all extremely friendly and polite (it sold out on our 7/4 cruise). There was some training on the kayaks, and they went about 400 feet along the shore to a coral reef where there were lots of coral/fish to see. The kayaks are clear on the top and sides, and are 2-people to a kayak. When they returned after about 1/2 hour kayaking, the guide gave everyone two free drink coupons at the bar (soda, mixed drinks like pina coladas, beer), and anyone who wanted to snorkel got their equipment.

It was a little stormy (gray, raining, thunder) so we elected not to snorkel -- however, no $ refunded since it was our choice. There's a big tent/tarp over plastic dining tables. Lots of people were ordering food and appeared to be very happy. They were going to snorkel if it cleared up later in the day. Looked like prices were about $10 and up for food, but the plates were huge. There was a fresh water pool in a corner near some shade/palm trees and wonderful lounge chairs & seating, a shower, clean bathrooms, and fresh water to wash sand off your feet. When ready to go, they called a cab for you (no charge) to return to the ship. The beach is across a little driveway/roadway and appeared rocky in places, so it didn't look like a swimming beach -- but overall this was a great excursion, and I could see spending some relaxing time there after the excursion. The location is right next to Chakaanaab (sp)?.

• 6 months later...

My 17 y. o. daughter and I will be on the Carnival Elation 5/1/05 and are considering this excursion: http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelShoreSnorkeling.htm

Anyone have any experience with this company?? The rates seem reasonable and I'm trying to avoid some of the crowds and the ship excursion rates. Anyone know anything about the UVAS BEACH CLUB?? Where is it in reference to the ship terminals??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! -Steph :)

• 9 months later...

Good afternoon all,

I will be sailing into Cozumel at the end of this month and Celebrity offers an excursion for a clear kayak/snorkel adventure at Playa Uvas beach. My 7 year old really wants to do this and thinks it would be wonderful to go in a clear kayak. I can't find too much information on these boards about this tour or about Playa Uvas beach. Can anyone advise me about this tour? Is it age appropriate for a 7 year old. I don't think that he would do the snorkeling, he would be happy staying either in the kayak or on the beach/playing in the shallow water at shore. How about the beach? Will it be open by the end of this month? My 7 year old's second choice for a tour is the San Gervasio/Playa Mia beach excursion. Would this tour be more age appropriate for him?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you! :)

Erin

Good afternoon all,

I will be sailing into Cozumel at the end of this month and Celebrity offers an excursion for a clear kayak/snorkel adventure at Playa Uvas beach. My 7 year old really wants to do this and thinks it would be wonderful to go in a clear kayak. I can't find too much information on these boards about this tour or about Playa Uvas beach. Can anyone advise me about this tour? Is it age appropriate for a 7 year old. I don't think that he would do the snorkeling, he would be happy staying either in the kayak or on the beach/playing in the shallow water at shore. How about the beach? Will it be open by the end of this month? My 7 year old's second choice for a tour is the San Gervasio/Playa Mia beach excursion. Would this tour be more age appropriate for him?

Erin

I don´t want to be accussed of monolizing this question but I am going to answer it anyway!

Erin, I called the manager of this tour and asked if it would be up and running for next week. He said yes it would and that it would be in the same location out at Uvas (it is the beach club that is located just north of Chankanaab). I would think that this would be a great tour for a 7 year old...adventure, nature and water. They brought in sand to fill in the beach. I have recommended Uvas beach club as a nice alternative for those looking for a smaller, more quiet spot...very chic and hip. There is a small pool and cool loungers. It is not the wild, party atmosphere. The food is fabulous!

The San Gervasio and Playa Mia tour would be good if he is more into history...the ruins are pretty neat and small enough not to tax the attention span of kids.

• 2 weeks later...
Good afternoon all,

Erin

I have been to Playa Uvas twice. The manager and workers there are the friendliest people on the island.

It has a bar, covered tables and chairs and a short order food.

To heck with the ships' tours there. Too expensive.

Do this:

Get off ship, get taxi. $10

Tell driver Playa Uvas

You can rent their kayaks directly from them.

Their snorkle rental is $13. They will also supply you with a personal guide at no charge. I gave mine a $20 tip. He was worth the whole trip.

The ice cold XX beer was a excellent post snorkel repast.

Hey Select, how much was the kayak rental?

Antonio: wow it's amazing those overhead sun-screen panels didn't get trashed by Wilma. Are they over the pool? Photos on their own site (UVAs Beach Club) show it more upscale, thx for your "realistic" shot.

Their site offers transportation, 45 minute guided kayak tour, optional snorkeling tour for 25 minutes (extra charge?), free use of snorkeling equipment for the day, buffet w/ pop/water, use of whole facility for the day for $49 p.p., $32 for kids under 12.

-Bob

I am reading mixed answers. As of now, is Uvas Beach back to operational? Also, I read somewhere further down that the clear kayaks are "no more." Is this still true, or are they running that excursion again?

Thanks

I just booked the beach snorkle break from Island Marketing aka cozumel cruise excursions. I realize that things have changed since wilma and I just want to know if this place stills has what website claims it has. Is it the ultra modern chic beach club with big stuffed furniture and will it be a pleasant atmosphere, or a barren beach with some plastic lawn furniture? We dont plan to spend the entire time here, we plan on taxi over to Palancar or (San Francisco and Paradise if not too crowded.) But we did want to shore snorkle a bit first and I really liked the look of Uvas on this link http://cozumelmexico.net/Playa_Uvas.html

If your expectations are that Uvas is close to what it was pre-wilma, you might be disappointed.

If you value your time and want the better possibility of good snorkeling, I'd recommend going to Playa Palancar and doing a snorkel trip from there. From first hand reports I've read, shore snorkeling is very disappointing, but boat snorkeling is better, especially the farther south you go. Palancar reef is near the south end of the island and right off shore from Playa Palancar (makes sense doesn't it) so the boat ride will be short. You might want to hang out at the beach club a little after snorkeling. It should be nice and quiet.

I just booked the beach snorkle break from Island Marketing aka cozumel cruise excursions. I realize that things have changed since wilma and I just want to know if this place stills has what website claims it has. Is it the ultra modern chic beach club with big stuffed furniture and will it be a pleasant atmosphere, or a barren beach with some plastic lawn furniture? We dont plan to spend the entire time here, we plan on taxi over to Palancar or (San Francisco and Paradise if not too crowded.) But we did want to shore snorkle a bit first and I really liked the look of Uvas on this link http://cozumelmexico.net/Playa_Uvas.html

I have been watching for info here on these baords regarding Uvas Beach and the clear kayak excursion that goes there. I have been noticing that there are at least three threads asking similar questions about Uvas. And they are all going unanswered. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE, it is simply my observation and a conclusion I'm beginning to draw . . I'm thinking people (specifically some of our generous local board-friends who are always posting here) are not answering because they do not want to say anything negative about the condition of Uvas, or about the seeming difference between the way the Uvas website shows it vs. the reality of it.

I'm starting to think I want to switch excursions.

Please, someone change my mind! Any info on OP's questions?

Its not that we're avoiding anything, it's just that uvas is kinda out of the way, and we all have jobs and lives that don't leave us much time to go out researching! Having said that tho, I did go out that way a few days ago and managed to get this shot before the battery died....

f1260268.jpg

It doesnt look to to bad. I wish there were more photos. We plan on doing this in the morning and then heading over your way, for a look see. I expect you will be at maximum capacity and good for you, but we like it a little more laid back and less noisy. Had a Palm beach break package booked till it closed up. We were planning on doing Palm, Paradise and San Francisco. Now Its just all up in the air. I guess we will go where the day takes us.

Hi, Tom. I hope you didn't think I meant that you were obligated to post - of course you have other things to do! (Not that I do - I seem to be here every day after work these days! It;s so darn COLD here in Boston - not much else to do!) Certainly didn't mean it that way, but re-reading the post it could read that way. Anyway, I am 100% genuine when I say you and others are generous with your time here on the boards!

J.

• 3 weeks later...

Traveling on ROS 1/8 and will be in Coz around that Friday. Read many posts of what is open.. Any help on current info will be greatly appreciated.

Never heard of Uvas Beach Club, but wouldnt mind a place that doesnt cater to water trampolines, etc...

Playa Mia - Open - Used by Cruise ships as well for beach party boats.

Paradise Beach - Open - No Admission family oriented beach, good food, etc.

Playa Planacar - open - ??

Mr Sanchos - Open - Family, beach erosion.

Nothing else open that i read. HELP!!!

what about the other side: Chen Rio, Mexacalitos, Coconuts???

Downtown, open and go spend money.. lol....

LRSkier2_nospam@netscape.net ( omit _nospam)

....Never heard of Uvas Beach Club, but wouldnt mind a place that doesnt cater to water trampolines, etc...

Uvas is a very small day resort. No floating trampolines or icebergs. They have a nicely stocked bar/bartender, some tastey foods, rentals on Snorkel equipment (about $16), clear kayaks, and the most friendly workers you will find on the island. Snorkeling from the beach, and they will supply a guide for you. Warm fresh water shower, and small swimming pool. Tables and chairs under shade and a few chairs on the beach. Very cozy place.

I've been there twice and will go again.

We were there a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. We were on our way to Palancar and changed our mind. We rented snorkel eqiupment for 15. each. The snorkeling was OK, alot of reef gone. They had chairs, tables and umbrella right near the water, beautiful view. Next to the nice bar was a small, very clean, cool pool. We could've stayed much longer but had to meet friends at Paradise Beach. We had cold beers at Uva and some mango margaritas. umm, wish I was there now.

Bruce, thanks for those pics.. and to others, your info is great. My question is there any news from the other side - chen rio, etc?? And no 2, where exactly is uvas beach club??

Be traveling soon. Thanks in advance. LRSkier