Playa Uvas

rscima

Bruce, thanks for those pics.. and to others, your info is great. My question is there any news from the other side - chen rio, etc?? And no 2, where exactly is uvas beach club??

Be traveling soon. Thanks in advance. LRSkier

Oh, did you want east side photos? Here they are:

East side photos

Chen Rio is open, Coconuts is open, Mexcalitos and Senior Iguana are both open, but their beach has suffered some erosion. The road around the island is open all the way.

Uvas is just a little bit south of the Fiesta Americana but before you get to Chankanaab. It doesn't have much of a sandy beach, it that is important.

I just posted about the rental cars, but I thought of a couple of other questions- which beach would be better for 6 adults that just want to hang out, snorkel, have a few drinks? We have always gone to Chankanaab in the past and then finished with Carlos and Charlie's and have had a blast. The first cruise we went to Playa Mia (called something else then) and didn't care for it because it was too crowded, lots of kids. It was pretty and Paradise Beach looks beautiful, but we are afraid it will really be crowded. Playa Uvas and Palancar both look good, any opinions on best to relax, snorkel? Thanks!

If you do rent a car, you don't have to stay at any one beach club. Driving south from town, the first club you will reach is Uvas. Stop there and see if it is to your liking. They don't have the water toys that attract families with kids. If you don't find that it fits your needs, continue south until you reach

PB1.jpg

PB wasn't crowded any of the times I was there last week. but if they are too many people, continue on south to Playa Palancar.

playapalancar4.jpg

You can take a snorkel trip from here. Near shore snorkeling won't be very good for a while, so a boat snorkeling trip will give you better results.

If you continue around to the other side, which is worth the drive, stop at Coconuts.

We were there first week in Dec and enjoyed it for a few hours. It was our first visit so cant compare to pre wilma. We rented snorkle equipmet for 15 ea, reef mostly gone, just a few fishes. we walked toward Dzul Ha to try better snorkle but it was wasnt. There was alot of construction, damage, guys working on electrical poles, etc. But the beach at Uvas was great view, cold beer, mango margaritas, and we really enjoyed the small pool near the bar. I like it better than Paradise, even tho we have had great food, drinks there also, sitting at the bar. I like view and smallness and quiet, etc of Uvas.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Uvas last week. They now charge $7 a person to get in. The beach is very small, it was very crowded last week. There are not enought chairs, the water is not clear, the beach rocky, construction all over. The food is pretty good, you get 2 drinks per person after you pay to get in and they are also ok. Cozumel just isn't the same.

Have you been to Uvas? It looks like just the place for our group. Does anyone know if they limit the number of people since they take reservations and does a reservation ensure you a chair/lounge? Our ship doesn't get into coz until 12:00 and we really want to find someplace that isn't filled up already. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I responded to one of your other posts on the Costa Maya forum re: snorkeling near the pier. How would you compare the UVAs site to the Costa Maya one? We don't care much for "beach break" partying, so we are looking for good snorkeling spots (aside from Belize, which we think will be the best). Any suggestions are appreciated.

A different site not updated since Wilma - usually you go through your cruise ship for the kayaks...

http://www.gocozumel.com/kayaks-snorkeling-uvas/

You might email them to ask:

info@playauvas.com <info@playauvas.com>

Somebody might even pretend they aren't on a cruise ship to see if there is a different deal...

I emailed Uvas and the prices are the same as the other website posted in this thread. The only thing they didn't post is there is a $7.00 entrance fee that includes 2 drinks and if you want to snorkel with your own equipment, you have to pay a $2 marine park fee. If you purchase a package, these two fees are included.

I imagine it looks a little different now than in the photos. We are planning to go there on 2/18 from the Zenith. The only problem is we do not get to coz until 12:00 and the beaches could be pretty crowded by then. :( Does anyone have any recent photos of Uvas??

Was UVAS very busy?

how was the snorkeling? I see they have snorkel tours from the shore every hour...we are trying to decide between UVAS or Playa Palancar for a not so crowed beach and some snorkeling...any recommendations?