Playa Uvas

rscima

Thank you for your review. Since you have been to all of the beach clubs I have been considering, how would you rank them? And if you don't mind, what are the pros and cons? We are headed to Cozumel in October with a large group of friends and neighbors. Everything looks so good, I can't decide.

I couldn't begin to rank the beach clubs...because what I like and is important to me may not be what you like or is important to you. I'd hate to steer you wrong.

With a large group it would depend on the ages of who's going, the time of year, and what they like to do before I could make a real recommendation.

Some clubs focus on the marine activities, like Playa Uvas and Dzul Ha because they have the reefs. You can snorkle from shore, take a tour snorkling or in a clear kayak, or go scuba.

If the weather is cloudy or rainy, Playa Uvas doesn't cancel tours due to weather...unless it's lightening or the ocean is violent. They have the tour guides, beach lifeguards, and backup people in the water. Their water activities are very safe.

Playa Uvas is smallish. If there are many ships in port, it may be crowded between 11:30 AM and 2 PM. To counter that problem, a large group (10+) should make reservations to secure their space in advance. That's what I will do in March 2007 when I take the extended family group there. Playa Uvas can reserve your group close to each others beach seats, or a big table at the restaurant or seats at the pool-lounge area if they know you're coming. They also have a package price for groups larger than 10 people.

(continued below)

San Francisco and Paradise Beach clubs are bigger, cater more to groups with children of all ages. They have the water toys...iceberg, etc. Paradise Beach is my favorite of these type clubs. PB Tom is a master of marketing, and an all round nice guy. He runs his club very well. Food is excellent, and service is outstanding. Paradise Beach now offers a snorkling tour, but not from shore.

Palm Beach has not gotten back up and running completely since Hurricane Wilma, but they are next door to Paradise Beach. They still rent out chairs and umbrellas, but their restaurant is now closed. I hope they can get it back up and running again.

Look for current photos of the beach clubs...after Hurricane Wilma. You won't find lush green much, although some clubs have replanted palm trees and all have cleaned up their areas from storm debris.

I have posted current photos of Playa Uvas here. These were taken on May 27, 2006 during my visit.

Have a wonderful trip!

DH and I went to Playa Uvas in May and had a wonderful time. We weren't planning to do an excursion in Cozumel, but unfortunately the Conquest didn't make itto Grand Cayman and I just HAD to go snorkeling. So we booked the clear kayak & snorkel tour through Carnival and ended up at Playa Uvas.

The people there were wonderful. Beach was small but not too crowded. Facilities were very clean. The sand was a little rocky, but hey! I'm in the Carribean right? I can take a few rocks. The water was the most awesome water I have ever seen. The Kayaking was well worth it. the snorkeling wasn't all I hoped for. There really isn't much of a reef at all. Plus you need to walk a ways down the beach (rocky! and watch out for broken glass, have your shoes on) before you actually get in to snorkel.

There are lockers and plenty of chairs and a separate pool that I did get into after the snorkeling. The excursion was 3.5 hrs and by the time we were done with it all, it was time to go! But we had a wonderful time. We are planning another trip in January, but I think I will hit another part of Cozumel since there is so much to do there!

As I noted in my review, we arrived late morning, and so saw few fish...a lot of one yellow striped kind, but few of the really pretty purple and yellow fish. From what I understand, the early-to-mid morning is the best time to view more fish because that's when they eat. At least Dzul Ha and Playa Uvas are swimming distance from live reefs.

I expect more fish will return to the reefs as the reefs continue to recover from Hurricane Wilma.

One of my photos shows the distance from the beach area of Playa Uvas to the entrance to the snorkle area. I didn't think it was far...you can see the edge of my umbrella in the photo.

Stircrazy, thanks for doing a run down on the clubs for me. I realize I have to make my own decision, but I don't wanna:( :D ! I have a hard time with that, drives my husband crazy. Anyway, I'm sure we'll have fun no matter what we do, we will be in the carribean and the kiddos will be home with the grandparents!

One of my photos shows the distance from the beach area of Playa Uvas to the entrance to the snorkle area. I didn't think it was far...you can see the edge of my umbrella in the photo.

Wow, it wasn't far at all for you! Bernie had us walk all the way past the orange building in the background there! We snorkled from there and came out where your picture shows you going in. We booked with Carnival so maybe it was a little different(?). They had everyone wear their sandals for the walk and Bernie snorkled back with us while another guy put all of our shoes in a plastic bag and followed us back in a kayak.

Stircrazy, thanks for doing a run down on the clubs for me. I realize I have to make my own decision, but I don't wanna:( :D ! I have a hard time with that, drives my husband crazy. Anyway, I'm sure we'll have fun no matter what we do, we will be in the carribean and the kiddos will be home with the grandparents!

I'm jealous! I would LOVE to be back in Cozumel.

I wish you smooth seas and happy sailing. Let me know how you spent your day on Cozumel!

Wow, it wasn't far at all for you! Bernie had us walk all the way past the orange building in the background there! We snorkled from there and came out where your picture shows you going in. We booked with Carnival so maybe it was a little different(?). They had everyone wear their sandals for the walk and Bernie snorkled back with us while another guy put all of our shoes in a plastic bag and followed us back in a kayak.

Bernie must have gotten lost on his way to the snorkle area! :D ...or maybe you signed up unknowingly for the "beach hike" excursion?!? ;)

Actually, that photo shows the Carnival group with my kids bringing up the rear.

PS...Hi neighbor...I'm in Sugar Land!

Bernie must have gotten lost on his way to the snorkle area! :D ...or maybe you signed up unknowingly for the "beach hike" excursion?!? ;)

Actually, that photo shows the Carnival group with my kids bringing up the rear.

PS...Hi neighbor...I'm in Sugar Land!

LOL! When we signed up for the excursion, I didn't know it would be so "physical"! Luckily, my DH did most of the rowing on the kayak! Then for the snorkle, I thought I would be brave and not inflate my vest. That was a joke, I blew that thing right up after 2 min. in the water!

P.S. My main office is in Sugar Land! I'm there all the time! Isn't it wonderful to live so close to a port? This was my first cruise and I just booked another one in January!

LOL! When we signed up for the excursion, I didn't know it would be so "physical"! Luckily, my DH did most of the rowing on the kayak! Then for the snorkle, I thought I would be brave and not inflate my vest. That was a joke, I blew that thing right up after 2 min. in the water!

P.S. My main office is in Sugar Land! I'm there all the time! Isn't it wonderful to live so close to a port? This was my first cruise and I just booked another one in January!

I must confess that Bernie did most (okay...ALL) of the paddling. But then, the excursion didn't say "self propelled" clear kayaks did it?!? :D

I only wear the vest because it's mandatory for my safety...my butt is so bouyant that I can float with my head in the water without effort.

Try Playa Uvas again when you are not on a ship excursion. I loved being able to do what I wanted when I wanted to do it...like lay on that cushy beach bed and read my book while sipping a "drank", and spend time looking through the store and shopping the vendors without having to hurry. Cabs are cheap and plentiful!

I'm actually moving full time to the ranch at the end of the month. It'll place me 12 miles further from the port, but I can drive it in my sleep. :) I have another cruise scheduled for the end of September...for the first of March...and for mid-July. I panic if I don't have several to look forward to!

You're welcome, Chi Guy!

Free tips:

If you've never been to Cozumel, and want a tour of the Island...Cozumel Tours. We had a great time with Nelda and her ladies. We had a wonderful tour of the Island and had time to visit Palm Beach and Paradise Beach for lunch and some water activities. This year I went on my own to Playa Uvas and had a great experience.

Small bills...it's easier to bargain with small bills, and no worries about receiving pesos that you have no use for later. (Although I save mine and bring them back to spend on the Island my next trip!) US Dollars are routinely taken in most places in Mexico, including Cozumel.

Learn a little Spanish...dazzle your friends who only speak English with your ability to communicate! Input your question at World Lingo and get a translation free!

Most of all, enjoy your time in a different culture. Spend money on the Island...they need it badly to recoup from the hurricane that devestated Cozumel last year. Give people a smile and an "Hola"...and you'll get them back!

Your info is really making me want to change my beach club choice:)

Have you by chance been to Chankaanab? We have always loved going there and snorkeling on our own. However, does not appear it will be open so we were planning on Paradise Beach, which is what we did last cruise. There is really no snorkeling at PB, unless you pay the 35.00 and take their tour which is new since we were there last.

Is there good snorkeling right in front of Playa Uvas? If you have visited Chankaanab(sp?) could you compare for us?

We are doing a snorkeling boat tour in Cayman so was hoping to do a little more of the beach scene without the snorkeling tour cost.

Thanks,

momnfrisco

Stircrazy,

Question for you, what time did you put down for your reservation time? We are on the Ecstacy too in August and were wondering what time should we say to be there.

thanks

I was there on a Saturday. We docked at the International Pier and were at Playa Uvas by 10:30 AM. Our reservations were for 11 AM, but we were told it was okay to get there early.

Your info is really making me want to change my beach club choice:)

Have you by chance been to Chankaanab? We have always loved going there and snorkeling on our own. However, does not appear it will be open so we were planning on Paradise Beach, which is what we did last cruise. There is really no snorkeling at PB, unless you pay the 35.00 and take their tour which is new since we were there last.

Is there good snorkeling right in front of Playa Uvas? If you have visited Chankaanab(sp?) could you compare for us?

We are doing a snorkeling boat tour in Cayman so was hoping to do a little more of the beach scene without the snorkeling tour cost.

Thanks,

momnfrisco

You could do both! Go early to Playa Uvas, and then head to Paradise Beach. Two quite different experiences, but both enjoyable for their differences.

Chankanaab Park and Playa Uvas are very close to each other (about 200 yards or less apart). From the beach at Playa Uvas you can see Chankanaab Park's pier. Both clubs are in front the same reef (called "Marine National Park of Chankanaab")..so the reef is the same.

Since Chankanaab Park has been closed since Hurricane Wilma, I don't know how hurt their part of the reef is...since they are so close together, I would imagine that the reef at Chankanaab Park is in the same condition as the reef at Playa Uvas and Dzul Ha. The fish feed early in the day, so heading to Playa Uvas first would get your snorkling in before the fish hide for their siesta.

Keep in mind...Cozumel suffered a devestating hit from Hurricane Wilma. The reefs are coming back...the coral is recovering and the fish are there, but not in as great a number as before the storm. It's still the Cozumel we all know and love...just a little battered. I can't wait to go next March and see how much difference a year makes.

Have a great trip!

Playa Uvas guides insist on manadtory life vests, and there are two backup "watchers" in the water in addition to the actual guide.

The clear kayaks are pretty neat. It's like sitting in a glass bowl, paddling around the reefs!