Playa Uvas

rscima

I went to playa uvas on the 19th and it was an amazing experience. We did the clear kayak tour and LOVED it, even though I am horribly unathletic! Luis was an awesome guide and we could see straight to the bottom! We were greeted by Carmen, who was so nice and helpful. The open bar was great as well! The waiters were incredibly attentive and the lunch was great. We had such a wonderful time and really appreciate the service we recieved. We will definitely go back!!

We booked the kayak on our own, but many of the people on our tour were from the cruise excursion. The main difference, is when you book through the cruiseline, you don't have any flexability on tour times, but when you book on your own, they let you choose to go on whichever one you want. That works great if you're also snorkeling or having a massage or just want to wait a little while and enjoy the beach area first. We just asked Carmen which tour time had the smallest group, and that's the one we joined. It worked out perfect.

Everyone at Playa Uvas will go out of their way to make sure you have a wonderful experience there. I now understand why StirCrazy keeps returning. In fact, a friend of mine is going to Cozumel with her husband in August and she just got the info from me yesterday to book a day at Playa Uvas. After I showed her the photos, she said that's just what they were looking for!

We booked it on our own by emailing eduardo. They did a few tours and we got to pick which one we wanted to go on. It was SO much fun!

I've sea kayaked before, but it was so much more FUN with Playa Uvas' clear kayaks. Really cool to see all the fish swimming right under you. And a great view of the corals and stuff too. Now I'll have a hard time going back to a regular kayak!

I've sea kayaked before' date=' but it was so much more FUN with Playa Uvas' clear kayaks. Really cool to see all the fish swimming right under you. And a great view of the corals and stuff too. Now I'll have a hard time going back to a regular kayak![/quote']

They say they no longer will feed the fish so who knows what you will or won't see...

Whether they feed the fish or not is not an issue. You need to get over that. Fish are fed all over the world. How else would they get the stringrays to come out in the Caymans or Belize? And even if they don't feed the fish in Cozumel, it won't spoil the fun of the kayaks because there were PLENTY of fish all over the place, especially around the corals, that we saw as we were kayaking. And no food was fed to them to get them to us either. Only in the one spot.

We were at Uvas for a day last week. I would highly recommend spending your day there. We purchased the kayak, lunch, & open bar package. We arrived and when I mentioned to Carman that I had book online, she asked if I was who I was by first name. We sat in a couple of beach chairs for around and hour tacking in some rays and watching all the comings and goings.

We then went on the kayak tour and it is definately a cool experience to check out the in water sights looking down between your legs. I'm not sure I would do the kayak tour again though, as I got a little nauseus toward then end (I think too much looking through the bottom and the motion of the ocean got the best of me).

When we finished the tour, our waiter had a couple drinks ready and let us know our lunch would be ready in a few minutes. We had the steak fajitas which were very good to both of our tastes. I would recommend the bananna daiquiri....made with real banannas...the good ones just starting to turn brown.

After another drink and letting lunch digest for a bit, we went about snorkeling (we brought our own stuff). The snorkeling from shore was as good as I've ever done for a shore snorkel. We saw all sorts of Tangs (primarily blue), a pretty large puffer, wrassels, a large goby of some sort, lots of Sgt Majors, grunts galore, parrot fish, baracuda, gar, french angel fish, and on and on. I only wish I could have gotten my wife to be a little more adventureous as she was only interested in swimming out a little bit at a time before swimming back in closer to shore where she could stand up. Maybe next visit I'll get a snorkel buddy that's a little braver, or sign up for the tour (they had guides in kayaks to help, safety vests, and looked to even be pulling behind an inflatable ring to help a younger snorkeler). Probably not the best beach for swimming as far as being pristine soft sand all over, but navigate your way around some iorn shore rock and there certainly is some sand. What the beach might lack from the standpoint of being the perfect swim in your bare feet having to give no consideration to where you are stepping, it makes up for by being able to walk out in knee deep water and put a mask in to see some really cool fish even in that shallow of water.

After finishing our snorkeling on our own, we sat around in the sun and made sure we got our moneys worth on the open bar portion of our package (we had been going at it on a very limited basis up to that point by our chosing because we were going to be out in the water).

Bottom line, if you want a great day with good eats, good drinks, great snorkeling, massage, clear kayaks a bit of shopping in a relatively quite and laid back atmosphere, this is a great place to spend the day. We'll definately be back someday.

Just returned from a cruise to Cozumel last week on the NCL Majesty.

I visited Playa Uvas along with my wife and son and seven of his college age friends. We decided to spend our time at this resort as a result of the great recomendations I read on this board and I was not disappointed.

The service was excellent! Working with a large group with diverse interests is not always easy but Eduardo and Carmen and their staff made the job go well.

The transportation from the ship was a bit more expensive than expected because the vans were only permitted to carry 8 people so we had to take two taxis. This must be a newly imposed rule by the police.

We did some snorkleing and found conditions to be just OK. If you are expecting a lot of coral I would say you may be disappointed - not a lot to see.

My wife and I arranged to get massages from Luz. This was great and I would highly recommend the one hour time. It was the fastest one hour of my life - Sooo relaxing!

If you are looking for a nice clean beach resort with limited crowds, you can't go wrong with Playa Uvas!

I'm glad that ya'll had a good time at Playa Uvas!

My parents are in their mid and late 70's and had never been to a beach club before...unless you count the one time they ate lunch at Carlos 'n Charlie's in Playa del Carmen and had BIG eyes from the nipple tweaking and other goings on there. :D

They have commented several times since our return home how much the liked being at Playa Uvas. They felt safe, were made quite comfortable, and enjoyed the food very much, and they were impressed that our group of varied ages could all have a great time...together. Next time they want to skip some of the culture I press upon them and just spend the day at Playa Uvas, although they did enjoy our excursion to the Cozumel Museum.

So, Eduardo and Carmen...put me down for 12-14 people for the first Saturday in March...2008!

You know...there really isn't anything else Playa Uvas could do to make my visit better. :D

As a "F, 50+, Tx" traveling with one other person (...or my family group), I look for certain things when I travel.

Safety
is my number one priority. I usually hire a guide through a reputable company wherever I am going, at least for the first few times I visit a place/country. I've been to Spain, France, Portugal, Morocco several times, Gibraltar, England, Wales, Mainland Mexico and the Yucatan many times, Bahamas, etc., and Cozumel about 10 times now. I feel very safe at Playa Uvas and getting to and from the ship to Playa Uvas (well...except for the taxi rides!). After several visits to Playa Uvas, I knew it was someplace safe that I could take my family members.

Value
for my dollar. I'm amazed that Playa Uvas doesn't increase their admission price...(that's NOT a hint, Eduardo!).

Playa Uvas is a relatively young club...some have been on the Island a long time. Playa Uvas came out with a "different" Cozumel beach club experience. I've visited many of the beach clubs in my many visits to Cozumel. I liked them ALL...some better than others. At my first visit I was impressed with the effort made after the storm...grass imported for the green areas, palms trimmed, and debris hauled away. That was as soon as I stepped out of the taxi! The further I got onto the property the more impressed I became.

The food was as good as at The Palm beach club...which vanished in the storm...attractively presented under the soaring canopy of the restaurant, in adequate portions, and served by a smiling and attentive waiter.

BRB...

You know...there really isn't anything else Playa Uvas could do to make my visit better. :D

As a "F, 50+, Tx" traveling with one other person (...or my family group), I look for certain things when I travel.

Safety
is my number one priority. I usually hire a guide through a reputable company wherever I am going, at least for the first few times I visit a place/country. I've been to Spain, France, Portugal, Morocco several times, Gibraltar, England, Wales, Mainland Mexico and the Yucatan many times, Bahamas, etc., and Cozumel about 10 times now. I feel very safe at Playa Uvas and getting to and from the ship to Playa Uvas (well...except for the taxi rides!). After several visits to Playa Uvas, I knew it was someplace safe that I could take my family members.

Value
for my dollar. I'm amazed that Playa Uvas doesn't increase their admission price...(that's NOT a hint, Eduardo!).

Playa Uvas is a relatively young club...some have been on the Island a long time. Playa Uvas came out with a "different" Cozumel beach club experience. I've visited many of the beach clubs in my many visits to Cozumel. I liked them ALL...some better than others. At my first visit I was impressed with the effort made after the storm...grass imported for the green areas, palms trimmed, and debris hauled away. That was as soon as I stepped out of the taxi! The further I got onto the property the more impressed I became.

The food was as good as at The Palm beach club...which vanished in the storm...attractively presented under the soaring canopy of the restaurant, in adequate portions, and served by a smiling and attentive waiter.

BRB...

I got off track...as usual.

I don't want any EXTRA perks or special treatment...anywhere!

I want to be assured that the service *I* received at Playa Uvas, and have received on each return visit, is the SAME service and attention that anyone I recommend Playa Uvas to receives. So...don't give me any special attention...give ALL of us special attention!

If you aren't treated as "King/Queen for the Day" at Playa Uvas, I'd like to hear that experience, too.

My daughter and I were at Uvas Beach last week when in Cozumel on the Grand Princess. We booked the 'Beach Day' directly through Uvas rather than going through the ship excursion. It was a good deal and very easy to get to via taxi. They were very efficient and immediately had us join a group that was clear kayaking.

I think they were very busy that day, because I felt a little rushed and had a tough time keeping up with the large group. Didn't see many fish as I was busy trying to coordinate the steering with my daughter. Admittedly, I'm not the most atheletic person, but I did find it a bit challenging. Getting out of the kayak, I smashed my toe on a rock, as the waves were pretty strong and the area is very rocky. I know, I sound like a real klutz! After that, we got geared up for snorkeling then walked down the beach to the starting point. No one explained that we'd be walking such a distance and I had nothing on my feet. With the smashed toe and the rocky beach, it was a struggle. Again, we started off behind everyone. I thought they did a nice job explaining the equipment and a reallly terrific job of keeping the large group together through the snorkeling and of showing us some great underwater sites.

The lunch (chicken fajitas) was excellent and the drinks were plentiful. I was a little nervous about eating/drinking because I ALWAYS get sick in Mexico, but I did not get sick! The beach was lovely and quiet and my daughter loved exploring and finding lovely shells.

Overall, I would do it again. Thought it was very clean, the staff was friendly, and the food was great - overall an excellent way to spend the day, beautiful and very relaxing. Other people I talked to who went to other beaches seemed disappointed by the crowds.

Hope that helps.

I want to be assured that the service *I* received at Playa Uvas, and have received on each return visit, is the SAME service and attention that anyone I recommend Playa Uvas to receives. So...don't give me any special attention...give ALL of us special attention!

If you aren't treated as "King/Queen for the Day" at Playa Uvas, I'd like to hear that experience, too.

Rest assured Stircrzy, we were most DEFINATELY treaded as queens for the day at Play Uvas! Carman, Santos, all the gang could not have made us feel more special. My prediction: you will NOT hear from anyone who was not treated just the same as you. These are just the most amazing folks who do everything they can to make your day special. From the moment we arrived, Carmen greeted us and just took over making sure we had a very special experience! Kudos to everyone at Playa Uvas!

I think they were very busy that day' date=' because I felt a little rushed and had a tough time keeping up with the large group. Didn't see many fish as I was busy trying to coordinate the steering with my daughter. Admittedly, I'm not the most atheletic person, but I did find it a bit challenging. Getting out of the kayak, I smashed my toe on a rock, as the waves were pretty strong and the area is very rocky. I know, I sound like a real klutz! After that, we got geared up for snorkeling then walked down the beach to the starting point. No one explained that we'd be walking such a distance and I had nothing on my feet. With the smashed toe and the rocky beach, it was a struggle. Again, we started off behind everyone. I thought they did a nice job explaining the equipment and a reallly terrific job of keeping the large group together through the snorkeling and of showing us some great underwater sites.

Mar,

Sorry to hear you smashed your toe on a rock. I hope your toe is doing better!!

I would recommend to everyone to wear water shoes at any beach. People can go crazy :rolleyes: and break bottles on the beach miles away and it can come ashore to another beach and ppl can end up getting hurt. I'm not saying your injury could have been avoided by wearing water shoes but it could of helped you.

Thank you everyone for your posts! I can't wait to be there again in August!!

Playa Uvas came out with a "different" Cozumel beach club experience. I've visited many of the beach clubs in my many visits to Cozumel. I liked them ALL...some better than others.

Question for Stircrzy or others -

I don't want to go off-topic from this thread that focuses on Playa Uvas... but I'm looking for some thoughts. I'll be in Cozumel for the first time at the beginning of May. I've done a ton of research to figure out which beach club to visit that day - and right now, I'm leaning towards Playa Uvas. Traveling with me will be my parents and my sister (age 19).

Stircrazy, you mentioned that you've been to several beach clubs on the island before. What is it about Playa Uvas that sets it apart and that keeps you coming back? I'm also considering Paradise Beach and Nachi Cocum - how is Playa Uvas different from these clubs (if you've been to them), and which one do you prefer out of the three.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful thoughts and advice on Playa Uvas - I love these boards!

I don't want to go off-topic from this thread that focuses on Playa Uvas... but I'm looking for some thoughts. I'll be in Cozumel for the first time at the beginning of May. I've done a ton of research to figure out which beach club to visit that day - and right now, I'm leaning towards Playa Uvas. Traveling with me will be my parents and my sister (age 19).

Stircrazy, you mentioned that you've been to several beach clubs on the island before. What is it about Playa Uvas that sets it apart and that keeps you coming back? I'm also considering Paradise Beach and Nachi Cocum - how is Playa Uvas different from these clubs (if you've been to them), and which one do you prefer out of the three.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful thoughts and advice on Playa Uvas - I love these boards!

I can't really compare the three for you, as this thread is specific to Playa Uvas and I don't want to change the thread into something it wasn't meant to be.

My experience is as a 50+ year old woman, usually traveling with one other female...or with a family group. What is important to ME may not be what is important to YOU.

Playa Uvas suits my needs perfectly...wonderful food (including vegeterian choices!), safe surroundings, no water toys, not too many children, and gorgeous grounds. The clear kayaks are unique to Playa Uvas, and a really neat excursion.

I'd be happy to converse with you further by email, if you wish...just click the link in my signature, and remove the " * ".

There is much to do and see on Cozumel Island. I'd recommend hopping off of the ship and taking a trip to the museum...it's right on the waterfront a few blocks up from the cruise docks ($3 per person admission includes a guide for your group).

After that, take off across the Island (can't get lost...only one road) to see the "Wild" side of Cozumel. The scenery on that side of the Island is breathtaking!

As you make your way back up the Island toward the cruise docks you will pass all of the beach clubs. Choose one and enjoy lunch and some beach time. If you're not happy with your choice, head down the beach and check out another!

Head back to the dock area for some shopping and re-board the ship!

There are threads on all of the beach clubs you mentioned above, I would sit and read about each one and try to determine if your interests fit the other posters, Cozumel is very safe and one should not book a club thinking that safety is a problem.:) I also find it odd that one would not want to discuss other beach clubs in an open forum, or another poster is trying to shove a place at you.

There are threads on all of the beach clubs you mentioned above, I would sit and read about each one and try to determine if your interests fit the other posters, Cozumel is very safe and one should not book a club thinking that safety is a problem.:) I also find it odd that one would not want to discuss other beach clubs in an open forum, or another poster is trying to shove a place at you.

Why not just start a new thread, for comparisons...I am sure that you would not want your Paradise Beach thread getting confused with comparisons, would you??

I don't see anyone "shoving" Uvas...this is a thread about UVAs...have you been there? are you going there??

Why not just start a new thread, for comparisons...I am sure that you would not want your Paradise Beach thread getting confused with comparisons, would you??

I don't see anyone "shoving" Uvas...this is a thread about UVAs...have you been there? are you going there??

Actually in august I will stop in...:D

Well stated. This is a thread about Playa Uvas. There are other threads about the other beach clubs. There are other threads about diving sites, snorkeling excursions, ATV's, car rentals, etc. etc. If we start adding all those into this thread, it will no longer serve its purpose of answering questions about Plava Uvas. There is no point in diluting this thread with info that is readily available on other threads.

Well stated. This is a thread about Playa Uvas. There are other threads about the other beach clubs. There are other threads about diving sites' date=' snorkeling excursions, ATV's, car rentals, etc. etc. If we start adding all those into this thread, it will no longer serve its purpose of answering questions about Plava Uvas. There is no point in diluting this thread with info that is readily available on other threads.[/quote']

Correct me if im wrong but the poster did ask about UVAS...:D And I did suggest that they check out the other threads... She asked a specific person to answer a question, no reason to keep things hidden.