Help trying to get a hotel in Los angeles area, priceline, hotwire?

lssg

I have been trying for months to get a 4* hotel in the los angeles area, I have bid on priceline up to $100 for Sept 23-26...I have tried the santa monica , beverly hills, brentwood, redondo areas for a couple of months....how high do I have to go on priceline to get a hotel in these areas? I have also looked on hotwire.....Has anyone else used priceline for a 4* hotel in any of these areas ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't panic yet! :) It's still quite a bit early to really get the best deal on Priceline. I suggest you check biddingfortravel.com for great Priceline and Hotwire advice. I just checked for you and see that someone did win a bid of $70 at the Westin Bonaventure for September 12th. Mostly the 4* have been winning bids from $50-80...so don't panic and start bidding crazy high! Here's what I'd suggest. Book the best rate that you can find, with a hotel you'd be happy with, directly with the hotel, and be sure it's cancellable. You can bid Priceline every 24 hours now so take advantage of that if you have the time. Since we know that there are rooms to be had for $70, I wouldn't bid more than that.

Also, check out the hotels list at the site above, click on California - Los Angeles and the first thread is the hotel list for that area. It will give you a list of hotels that have had winning bids. Make a note of any areas with 4* that you would NOT want so you don't bid on those. (I think there are only 2 or 3 areas with 4 stars anyway.)

Hope this helps!

Coleen :)

Still trying to bid on priceline for a hotel and have bid as high as $100...tried $70 for Santa monica area 3* and was turned down as well....has anyone else won a hotel recently on priceline for LA 4* not around the airport?

I think you have two things working against you here. First of all your checkin date is a Saturday and it is much more difficult to book stays on PL if you are checking in on a Saturday. Second of all, hotel rates during your chosen dates are high. Well over $200 for most of the nicer hotels. It is always worth the time to check the going rates for the hotels you trying for to get an idea of what is available and how much you may have to pay. You may want to rethink and bid for a 3 star. You may also want to try bidding for an airport hotel for the first night (they typically offer availability on all check in days due to their locations) and then bid in Bev Hills or Santa Monica for the other two nights. In any case, I don't know that $100 will win you a four star in any zone except the airport zone, which most likely could be won for around $70 or so. Good luck.

Someone on another thread suggested www.easyclicktravel.com. I just checked it for your dates and there are several LA hotels around the $100 mark that are available. Apparently, it offers hotels 2 ways...1 where you see the name of the hotel, the other is like Hotwire and the name of the hotel is concealed. However, the other posted said that you can take a phrase from the description and google it which will give you the name of the hotel. I just tried it and it does work. They are offering an 'Off the Record Downtown LA Hotel' for $96.76/night. I believe it is the Sheraton LA Downtown. Reviews are mostly positive on tripadvisor.com and it is adjacent to a mall. The Millennium Biltmore is $103.95 (the hotel is named so you know for sure what you're buying) and mostly positive reviews. There are a number of others.

Hope this helps!

Coleen :)

I just spoke to the Marina Hotel San Pedro...3*.....standard rm $94.05. (AARP rate)They have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within 5mi radius which does include the pier. They have a very good web site: Marinahotelsanpedro.com

I have read reviews that say it's a very nice stay for the night before a cruise.

Archived