Sheraton Yankee in Ft. Lauderdale or Marco Polo in North Miami

crusingforfun

We're sailing on Caribbean Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale on 12/17/06.

I've been searching for tickets (Chicago - Ft. Lauderdale) and pre-cruise stay for a while. It seems that this year everything is so expensive.

Did anyone stay @ Sheraton Yankee Trader or Marco Polo in the past? I found Sheraton Yankee Tr. in Ft. Lauderdale for $139 p/night incl. tax and Marco Polo in North Miami Beach for $99+tax +$8 resort fee. Which one would you recommend? We'll rent a car @ the airport so a little extra driving won't make any difference.

This was a short review of our stay at the Yankee Trader this past March:

My wife and I stayed at these two hotels pre/post cruise this past week. This is an expensive time of year, but we did get a reasonable rate on both hotels, one through Priceline and one through EasyClick.

Both hotels were fine and we had no major complaints. I do believe it's difficult to get a great hotel in this area, because of the climate, demand and labor issues.

The Sheraton Yankee Trader turned out to be better than expected. The room was basic, but very clean. The bedding was very nice and had a modern upscale feel. The pool area was small, but nice and the access to the beach is a real plus. Still, your basic 3* hotel.

The Hyatt Pier 66 felt no different than it did last year. I saw very little to impress with the upgrades. First, let me say, we stayed in a lanai room that looked just like the lanai room we had last year. No upgrades. So the room look tired, worn, with the usual mold and stained carpets. The door had gaps and the air conditioner sounded like a small aircraft taxiing around the room. The pool area is large and very nice.

Addtional charges are everywhere: $12 resort fee for telephone calls, fitness center, tennis court, high speed internet in room, beach shuttle--we didn't use any of these services, but were charged. Parking was $15 a day. Minimum charge to use the business computer room was $5. You could drop $50 just eating breakfast for two. The staff was indifferent, cold, but professional. The Hyatt Pier 66 does not feel like a 4* hotel (IMHO).

I would stay at both of these hotels again, but only at Priceline rates.

Enjoy!

Kel

I've stayed at both, although it was Many Many Moons ago, so I can't advise based on the condition of the properties . . . .

The Yankee Clipper has a high rise on the beach, and a converted Motor Inn across the street which is connected by an enclosed, over the roadway bridge. The Marco Polo is a high rise on the beach.

The Clipper is on the south end of the Fort Lauderdale "strip," so as I remember it, it was a little bit away from the crowds of the major hotels.

The Marco Polo is in the middle of Collins avenue, surrounded by other hotels and condos. I don't think the neighborhood is as nice around the Marco Polo as it is in Ft Lauderdale, which may be of concern if you're planning to go for a midnight stroll.....

Archived