Currency Question?

Jswen

We leave in four days for Budapest. We have some euro's and plan on using the ATM's as needed.

What did you find your requirements were for using US currency if any. What denominations did you take? Where would we need it?

Thank you,

JS

Jswen,

Sorry to say, but forget about USD in Europe. I assume you´re travelling with a US company on your river cruise. That´ll mean that you are able to use USD aboard. But all European countries prefer the EUR even those who haven´t joined it yet. Especially for Budapest we were able to pay in EUR at most places (those which cope with tourists). We were advised not to change more than 5 to 10 EUR to Hungarian Forint for a day visit. Just the amount you need for personal expenses like a cup of coffee or some ice cream. As you´re staying there for four days my advice is to get a certain amount of Forint at the ATM. We did ride the subway and the machines there (English language option available) did only take cash and Forint only (we did get our tickets in advance in our hotel paying in EUR). All larger buys we paid with our credit card.

I remember seeing very touristy places which accepted USD in the very past (long before the EUR). But these were only really very touristy places, let´s say like Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria where street vendors did accept USD (I don´t know if they still do now we got the EUR). Anyway, you won´t get a good exchange rate on that. I do think that Burger King (at least the one close to our home in Munich) does accept USD as they do have a sign showing the exchange rate (very bad one).

Have a great cruise!

steamboats

Thanks for the quick reply.......your answer is pretty much what we thought but the last minute second guessing is starting to set in around here so thought I'd better check with my pals on the board.

Thanks again,

JS

The above is pretty much the story, altho we were able to pay in USD in the large "farmers" market, at the castle complex, etc. Everything else was charged. Most places you could pay with Euros, USD or Florint. Have fun.

Archived