Experienced Cruisers ?

kingsrx

In cruises past before you got all your experience in, what dod you forget to bring/buy ahead of time that you wished you had.

I only ask because we are going with four family groups total, ranging in ages from 7 to 76, and I am trying to purchase odd items you might need being away from the house, that would cost me my savings account on the ship...like tylenol, sunscreen...anything you *wish* you had thought of!!!

We are going to the Med for 12 days and I have never been away that long!

Any help is appreciated! :)

I know this may sound weird, but it salvaged my cruise: Superglue. On the morning we were leaving the motel to go to the ship, I rammed my big toe with my suitcase. It just about ripped the skin off the top of my toe. We are talking pool of blood in the sandal! I love to snorkel and thought, "Well, my cruise is ruined. Salt water will just hurt like you-know-what on my toe!" Well, I cleaned it up, and then superglued the edge of the skin back down, and then I put a bandage over it to protect it from bumps. I didn't have any problems with the saltwater affecting it the whole cruise!

I will never travel without Superglue again!

In cruises past before you got all your experience in, what dod you forget to bring/buy ahead of time that you wished you had.

Don't know what the mosquito situation is in the med, but you might want to bring some insect protection with DEET. :cool:

Being a nurse, I always think of the medical needs being away from home for so long. My doctor gives me a "just in case" prescription of an antibiotic, I bring medicine for diarrhea, sour stomach, pain, sunburns, bandages etc. I can't tell you how many times that has helped( and saved trips to the ship's doctor). Even though you are going to the Med. I'm sure you will be using the pool area or maybe the spa so don't forget to pack flip flips and bathing suit. Have fun!

Missyal

Having done our first cruise last year, also to the Mediterranean...a water bottle holder that has a shoulder strap, an extra memory card for the camera (or film), A hat with a wider brim and a pocket folder to store the newsletters in.

One of the best things we did bring was Downy Wrinkle Release Spray and a hanging air freshener for the cabin. We had insect spray but didn't use it once. Oh...definitly bring a power strip and leave half the clothes you pack home.

Have a great trip!

This is wierd I know but I'll say it anyay in case it helps even just one person. I always wear a step pedometer to count the steps I take each day with a goal of at least ten thousand.

My second cruise I lost my pedometer two days into the cruise. Well, you can't buy one on a cruise ship or even in most ports...maybe Key West. So now I take a spare pedometer with me just in case. (Yes, that is obsessive/compulsive.)

Traveling with kids, anytime we leave the US, cruise or otherwise, I always bring packets of electrolyte replacement powder. Mix with water, and instant Pedialyte! I used to have to have it special-ordered at my local (non-chain) pharmacy. In prepaing for our last cruise in Feb., I found it the chain stores. I think it was by Gerber, or one of the common child product manufacturers.

I bring it in the event of diarhhea, or overheating. Just makes me feel better to know I'm prepared!

I'm with Michelle about the SuperGlue! I broke the frames on my glasses the second day on one cruise. Had to buy SuperGlue. That teeny tiny tube was $4 in the sundries shop on the ship.:eek:

SuperGlue is now always packed (in it's own little ziplok bag), along with my Neosporin, bandaids, Bonine, Imodium AD tablets, Tylenol, lotion for sunburn, sunscreen.

Take plenty of batteries for digital cameras, extra film for 35mm, etc. Pretty pricey on the ship and at ports.

You might also want to consider taking a little hi-liter pen to mark all the things listed in the daily newsletter that you don't want to miss.

A lighted dial travel clock is a must for me. I've never seen a clock in any cabin, and I like to see what time it is, in case I wake up during the night. Also - it gives me an alarm, so I don't have to request wake-up calls.

There are never enough electrical outlets in cabins. I take a little 3" adapter on my cruises. Three appliances can fit into it, if needed. (WalMart, 79 cents). Some folks take the power strip, but this little adapter takes up only a teeny space in the luggage.

One thing you don't want to take is TOO many clothes. Pack, then remove half. I do a lot of mix-and-match when cruising.:)

I am always determined not to get sick on a cruise, so I pack items to sanitize the room. As soon as we enter our cabin, I spray the shower and sinks and toilet with Lysol and/or use the antibacteria wipes. Also I use the wipes to clean the door handles, closet and drawer handles, remote control, phone, etc. Also, a travel size bathroom spray is nice. Bath and Body Works carry a great selection of these (love the pear). I also take a pump bottle of antibacteria soap for the bath sink. Oh yes, spray you bed and pillow with the Lysol, just to be safe. I am not really a germ freak, just hate to spoil a great trip with someone elses germs. gg

Since you are going on a Med. cruise I suggest pocket size hand sanitizers. My parents came back from a European cruise and mentioned that they have pay public bathrooms and no paper towels or hand dryers. A towel was hanging on the wall.

I always take a small flashlight. If you're out in the evening in some of the European cities the sidewalks/cobblestones can be uneven so light helps. Especially for the seniors, it's easy to take a fall which can ruin a trip very quickly!

also- in case of emergency (where you quite likely would be without power) I want to be able to see where I need to go. I keep it on the nightstand next to the bed.

actually, I take a small flashlight on every kind of travel I do....and I pretty much travel for work every week! Hotels can have power outages as well- happened to me in Chicago recently. I was with some co-workers and as I was the only one with a flashlight (which they all envied) I have earned the title of "Girl Scout." Hey- whatever works.

Years ago, I read that Super glue was first used in Vietnam, to quickly close the wounds on soldiers, so Sheffie, your use is what the stuff was originally developed for :) .

Instead of trying to find new things to take along with us, over the years we have pared the list down to the essentials. Some of the things mentioned here are excellent ideas, such as the flashlight (always take one), some of them we have found we do just fine without, like the alarm clock, power strip, highlighter pens, extra cups etc....

We do take along a small first aid kit with an assortment of common meds and a few bandaids. We do take along a good camera and more memory than we think we need. We take along one cell phone, turned off and used only for emergencies. You will need more than one bathing suit, if your cruise is in a warm weather zone. I'm a very light packer, but I'll take 4 bathing suits along.

We do take along our own toiletries, we've never found the stuff available onboard ships to be what we want to use on our skin and hair.

Everything else is just stuff, you can get by without it. The wrinkle release is used by many, we prefer to pack well and have no use for it. The Lysol, well, if it makes you feel better, but the germs on the outside of the cabin can get you too and you can't Lysol the whole ship. We do take a small can of air freshener for the bathroom, the same can has been packed in my carry on for a couple of years now.

The most important thing, for me, to pack is my most comfortable sandals. I've given up wearing the cute shoes that only go with one outfit, I now wear only what is comfortable, both day and night. I have a moderate heel for casual/semi formal nights and save the high heels for the couple of hours on formal nights. We pack clothes that coordinate and have cut way back on the amount of clothing choices. It does not matter one bit if you repeat an outfit and wear the same shorts and Ts several times. There is laundry service onboard ships, you will not have to wear dirty clothes.

Instead of focusing on what more you need to pack, only take items that you personally cannot go without for a week. The ships are very sophisticated, you don't need to pack like you would for a camping trip.

This is a bit off topic but I can't read this thread without mentioning...

PLEASE

If you ever use super glue to heal a wound, please make sure you DO NOT close the wound completely. Please leave a small area open so that the wound can drain, if necessary.

ok, back to the topic at hand.......

Jarhead235, thanks for that web site for tips for cruising. Wonderful suggestions. Much more to pack, (luckily the suggestions are small sizes) but I dont want to "leave home without them." I am passing the site on to my roll call companions.

Archived