Over the door shoe thingy

WindinmySails

We found it made sense to leave it folded since it's compact and easy to pack, then hang it up. It didn't work on the bathroom door, but worked well on the closet bar. It was one of those things I wasn't sure about buying and bringing, but it did come in handy, and I now plan to bring it on land trips. We even used the bottom pockets for shoes!

:)

I absolutely love this idea! I had never ever thought of it but when I read it on here I went out to our Dollar Tree (where everything is a dollar!!! LOL) and bought 2 for our Med. cruise coming up! Thanks so much for the wonderful idea!!! :D

I don't know about Princess ships, but we did not hang it over a door actually. The closet kind of jutted out and a wall of the closet did not reach the ceiling, so we put it against that wall. It was far nicer than on the door.

We are going on an awsome cruise on Celebrity consetllation - 11 nights leaving November 5th out of NY Prices just reduced.

We used ours on our February Tahitian Princess cruise and found it invaluable for keeping the clutter off the bathroom counter. Meds, razor, and just "stuff" We used every available pocket and are seriously considering another for "shoes" (go figure) on our next cruise.

How did you attach it, and where did you get it? Target has it on line only for 20 pouches, and it has 4 wire hanagrs.

Just got one actually designed to hang over the door in the in the bathroom to hold all of your bath items, pockets are not quite as long as for shoes. clear has 12 pockets, at the dollar store. I think I just found exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the great idea.

We usually don't need it for just the two of us, but when we cruise as a family it sure comes in handy!

We also don't use it for toiletries, there is plenty of space in the bathroom for that stuff. It's great for all the other odds and ends such as sunglasses, visors, shoes, seapass cards, hairbrushes, papers and everything else that can clutter the desk top.

I read on thes boards how many people overpack and take a lot of extra "things" along, it's got to be useful for overpackers :)

I got a "lingerie holder" from Penney's years ago, that looks like the shoe holder, but has smaller clear pockets on both sides (21 in all) and hangs from a regular coathanger hook.

I roll all my undies, bras, socks, and stockings and put them in it. If pockets are left, I fill them with the incidentals others have mentioned.

I keep a mesh laundry bag with a drawstring in one pocket.

When packing, it lies on top of all my clothes and just fits the suitcase.

On the ship, I hang it in the closet with the mesh bag hanging from the hanger. My underwear takes up no drawer space, and I toss dirty undies in the mesh bag as I go. When it's time to go home, my lingerie bag is flat and folds up, and the full mesh bag of dirties takes its place on top in the suitcase (take THAT, TSA!).

It has been a real treasure many times when drawer space is tight.

While I have yet to actually go on my first cruise (though it's booked :D ) I use several of these around the house - 1 for my craft and sewing supplies, one by the back door for all the last minute type stuff, mostly seasonal, like sunglasses and sunblock, or mitts and rolled scarves, plus the dog's leash and brush, another in the bathroom, and yet another in DS's room for assorted little bits and pieces. Somehow it had never dawned on my take one for travel :rolleyes:, thoughy we're on the road an awful lot!

• 3 weeks later...

I use one in the bathroom for tolietries. I travel with the DH and DS who was 11 yrs. old on our last cruise. It makes it easy for the DH and DS to find their hair care products, razors, and stuff. They loved my bringing it. This clears up the shelf space for my makeup, perfume, and tolietries.

The other shoe thingy went into the closet. I put my son's, swim trunks, underwear, and socks, my beach sarongs, bras and panities in there. With three people in one cabin there is not always enough drawer space.

The other thing I now take (used it for the first time this past spring break cruise), is a small pop up laundry hamper. It was great!!!! I put it in the corner and all our dirty clothes went in there. That left our cabin clean and uncluttered. It beat having to take the suitcases out from under the bed every night to put away the dirty clothes. When it was time to leave I put all the dirty clothes into a nylon duffle bag. That left space in our suitcases for the things we bought on the trip. When I got home I just threw the duffle bag into the laundry room until it was time to do wash. I will never travel on trips over a week or longer without these handy, items ever again!!!!! I got both the pop up hamper and the two shoe thingys at the 99 Cents Store.

"This may sound silly but I have to ask. Do you pack it before you leave. Or do you fill it when you unpack the suit case?"

I'm guessing you want to fill it after you unpack.

On the other hand...it would be great to have it already filled and just hang it up.

It would be a matter of personal preference.

I just found this thread and will buy the one on the

Target website, and will likely fill it after I unpack.

That's my final decision, I think :)

Have a great cruise!

Laura

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from being on the Carnival Pride and we never used the over the door shoe thing. In the bathroom there were so many shelves over the sink to put all your stuff that we didn't even need it. Also, all the stuff they tell you to bring we never even used 3/4 of it. They tell you to bring chip clips cause the shower curtain sticks to you. Not once did it cling to any of us. Maybe other ships it does, but not on the Pride. Also, the bungee cord didn't even work to hold the door open if you had a balcony. The only thing that held that door opened was the little table that was on the balcony. It held the door opened really well. I realize bringing all that extra stuff was unnecessary and we hated dragging so much extra stuff we didn't even need. I have to agree with bringing an extension cord and a power strip. That was it. Debbie :)

We took one with us on the Conquest (yeah, it was one of those CC just gotta have things ;) ) and ended up not using it. We had an 8A cabin and plenty of room to stow all our crap. The shoe holder just got in the way. Oh well, no biggie. Cost like $5 at the dollar store and weighs almost nothing. It would probably be alot more useful if you have a tiny little cabin.

It was funny, we too took bungie cords, power strip, duct tape, plastic zip ties, etc. and never used any of it. We did use the power strip, but I don't think we ever plugged more than one thing in at a time, so could have done without it. I did use the little flashlight I took a time or two. We didn't want the balcony door open cause it felt like a sauna out there most of the time and was nice and cool inside. I did take a bunch of ziploc bags in various sizes (even a giant one or two) and they did come in handy.

My 2 cents,

JHC

Archived