undecided

pfb

booked trip to mex.riverea ocean view room I heard that a 5a room is lot better and cheaper.(obsructed view) can someone help?

You don't say what ship ~ is it the Pride? You can go on the Carnival website and find out what the rates are for your cruise for 6A (ocean view) and 5A. Just act like you're booking the cruise and see what the listed prices are for each category. I haven't been in a 5A room, but the ocean view rooms are great.

Better? Define better. A 5A cabin has one or two port holes. A 6A cabin has a picture window. Otherwise both cabins are the same. So I don't know how anyone can say a 5A is better than a 6A.

As to price, do what the prior poster said. Then you decide if the window over the port holes is worth the extra cost.

Here is a 6A cabin ...

464572404hxLLmE_ph.jpg

Here is a cat 7A obstructed view cabin (the obstruction is a life boat) ...

71604358MSjswy_ph.jpg

And here is a 5A cabin ...

504974054NYyutN_ph.jpg

OK, what can I say? I'm bored today, I guess; it's raining outside.

I checked Carnival's website for Mexican Riviera cruises, and it lists 2 ships ~ the Pride 7 day, and the Spirit 8 day. Both are Spirit class ships.

We sailed the Pride 2 years ago, but had inside cabins. The Miracle is a sister ship to the Pride, same layout. One of my CC friends on our Miracle cruise had cabin # 4148, which is a 5A obstructed view. It had the french doors with a lifeboat outside, just like the photo of the 7A that cruizer2 posted. I checked the deck plans of the Pride, and it is the same.

Bottom line: if you are on the Pride, a 5A will be on Main deck and it will have french doors with a lifeboat outside (pictured as 7A in the above photo). 6A will be on Riviera deck and will be ocean view with the picture window. Both are great cabins. If the 5A is the same price or less than the 6A, then it is probably better. The doors do open so at least you can get some fresh air.

Guest YesitDonna

Most people just want an outside cabin so that they have some light in the room. Other then that, most people don't spend time in their cabin just staring out the window lol You can do that at home for free! LOL I personally would choose the cabin with a porthole instead of a full window if it was cheaper. As a matter of fact, I just booked the Insperation for June 1st with the port hole.

Most people just want an outside cabin so that they have some light in the room. Other then that, most people don't spend time in their cabin just staring out the window lol You can do that at home for free! LOL I personally would choose the cabin with a porthole instead of a full window if it was cheaper. As a matter of fact, I just booked the Insperation for June 1st with the port hole.

Not me. One window has a life house in front of it, and they charge me to look out the other window. :mad:

Well, my understanding of the cabins is one is a single, four is an inside, five has port holes, six has a window, seven has french doors, eight has a balcony, nine is either a bigger cabin (Spirit class) or has the wrap around balcony (Destiny and Conquest class) eleven is a junior suite and twelve is the top of the line (even though it is not on top of the ship).

Here is Carnival's general description ...

sp_oceanview_lg.jpg

Ocean View

Includes stateroom category: 6A 5A (not shown): French doors and railing with obstructed views.

And here is the description from Expedia for a 7A ...

Oceanview cabin with private balcony (obstructed)

Square footage: 185 sq ft

Balcony square footage: 40 sq ft

Occupancy: Up to 2 guests (some sleep 3 or 4)

Amenities: Private balcony with fully obstructed view, floor-to-ceiling glass doors opening to balcony, sitting area with sofa, two twin beds that convert to a king-size bed, private bathroom with shower, separate vanity area, hair dryer, TV with first-run movies, telephone, and wall safe Cabin layout

And here is Expedia's description for a 5A ...

Obstructed view cabin (some with small porthole)

Square footage: 185 sq ft

Occupancy: Up to 2 guests (some sleep 3 or 4)

Amenities: French doors that open to a fully obstructed view, two twin beds that convert to a king-size bed, private bathroom with shower, separate vanity area, hair dryer, TV with first-run movies, telephone, and wall safe

Note: Cabins 4202, 4203, 4205, and 4207 do not have French doors but have partially obstructed picture windows. Cabin layout

(All of the above refers to the Spirit class - other class may have different descriptions for the same category cabin.)

Well, my understanding of the cabins is one is a single, four is an inside, five has port holes, six has a window, seven has french doors, eight has a balcony, nine is either a bigger cabin (Spirit class) or has the wrap around balcony (Destiny and Conquest class) eleven is a junior suite and twelve is the top of the line (even though it is not on top of the ship).

For the most part that is true, but not all ships have porthole windows. :) The Spirit Class (Pride, Miracle, Spirit, Legend) do not have portholes. The category 5A cabins on those ships are french doors with the lifeboat outside.

On Destiny Class, Fantasy Class, and Holiday Class ships, yes, the 5A cabins have porthole windows. That's why YesitDonna was able to book a porthole 5A on her upcoming Inspiration cruise (Fantasy Class).

Not trying to be argumentative, but the OP was asking about Mexican Riviera cruises, which are Spirit Class ships, so just trying to give info they can use for that particular class of ships. :)

I'm not sure, but I thought the 5A's with the french doors do not open any more; I heard they sealed them? Also it is FULLY obstructed with just rays of light coming in from under the life boat.

I'm not sure, but I thought the 5A's with the french doors do not open any more; I heard they sealed them? Also it is FULLY obstructed with just rays of light coming in from under the life boat.

They've sealed them on some of the ships, but not all. On the Miracle 2 months ago, one of my CC Roll Call friends had 5A cabins and the french doors did open.

For the most part that is true, but not all ships have porthole windows. :) The Spirit Class (Pride, Miracle, Spirit, Legend) do not have portholes. The category 5A cabins on those ships are french doors with the lifeboat outside.

On Destiny Class, Fantasy Class, and Holiday Class ships, yes, the 5A cabins have porthole windows. That's why YesitDonna was able to book a porthole 5A on her upcoming Inspiration cruise (Fantasy Class).

Not trying to be argumentative, but the OP was asking about Mexican Riviera cruises, which are Spirit Class ships, so just trying to give info they can use for that particular class of ships. :)

No problem. :)

They've sealed them on some of the ships, but not all. On the Miracle 2 months ago, one of my CC Roll Call friends had 5A cabins and the french doors did open.

Sue is correct, at least as far as the Miracle is concerned..... I am her friend from the Miracle ... we had six 5A cabins..... all had french doors ...... and all opened......mine were opened the entire cruise..... two of the rooms were between lifeboats and had some view and let in more light ... the other four were fully obstructed but they still had natural light and could open them for fresh air ....

My daughters had an inside on our first cruise and my hubby and I had a porthole ..... I would take the french doors over those any day....

I can't comment on the 5A's on other ships.... I haven't been on them .... but the Miracle 5A's do open.... and I know for sure 4148 & 4132 are between lifeboats.....

We were in cabin 4194 on the Pride which was a 5A. We had 2 lifeboats, but could see some of the water between the two. It was not bad a all. Plus we could open the door and enjoy the breeze if we wanted to.

No balcony, but I would book that cabin again in a heartbeat!!

Archived