Just off Miracle- Honestly not what I expected...great trip, but not what I expected

Kartz125

I understand your disappointment, and it sounded like you tried very hard to be understanding. Having lived in NY, I'm curious if this is more prone to happen when cruising from there rather than FL ports. Different parts of the country are more laid-back, and NY is not a laid-back place. Also, what is considered rude down here isn't considered rude there. That might not have anything to do with it, but ... (bracing myself for the ensuing flaming)

Travelitis - I don't think the where the crew is based has anything to do with the treatment Karst got. After all, these are International crews. These people are recruited from everywhere, and I think are put on ships randomly.

As far as it being NY, you might see rude customers, but service personnel with those attitudes would not last a day in NY. There are too many people waiting for jobs to take their spots. It's a place, just like many others in the US, with a constant influx of immigrants. But just like those other places, if there is a language problem, the waiter goes to find someone who knows English. It sounds like the ship still needs some polishing in that area. We sailed out of Puerto Rico, and if anything, we should have had the same rude service, since a lot of the young Puerto Ricans who were born in NY (and who are called NuYoricans by the people who were born on the island) have many of the public jobs in the hotel industry in San Juan. And we thought the service was excellent there, on the island and onboard.

On our last cruise, my DH noticed, at least in the dining room, a very evident hierarchy in the staff. Those on the bottom of the ladder get a hard time from everyone above. But none of that behavior was ever taken out on us. Everyone who waited on us had a different accent (they came from different countries, so go figure), and they were all ready to do ANYTHING for us.

Angela.......ur not alone in ur observations about the staff and fellow passengers.....dont think that this was an unusual occurance.....more often than not u will be finding cranky staff and rushed service in the dining room.....so dont count on it being any better on ur next sailing....if ur lucky maybe........I think a lot of first timers go on a carnival cruise and think they are gonna be pampered and feel as if each passenger gets the royal treatment......ive yet to experience this after many carnival cruises...

Didn't realize that people got so worked up on this board, This is supposed to be a friendly place to chat about cruises and what not. Comments like these and others in this thread give me second thoughts about wanting to even visit this site anymore. It is sad really, and excuse me for being such an unpleasant and rude poster... how dare I not have ALL the proper information ready and avaliable as soon as I sit at my computer after 8 days at sea....

Sorry that happened to you, as I think your rerview was fair and informitive. The reason for my post was to try and take some heat off you I think it kind of worked as a few post were directed at me. There are a few (not many) people on these boards that hate for any negitive comments to be made. They will always try and discredit any bad things said. I have cruised carnival many times and will do it many more times as the good is way better than the bad, but we do need to talk about the bad also so we can be prepaired for it and hopefully carnival will correct it if it is bad enough. I hope you tipped room steward extra and took some away from waiter, that is the best way to get your message to them!!!!!

Thank you for posting your honest and detailed review. You did a good job of listing the good and bad things that you encountered on your cruise. I hope that you don't let the negatives put you off too much, and that your next cruise is even better. :)

Robbyxoxo, if you really feel that way, have you considered a different cruise line? (OK, Carnival cruisers, wait until I get to the end.) There are so many different lines, and you might be better matched with a different line. Personally, I think I am mentally better suited to a Silverseas cruise, :D but my wallet is better suited to the Bolivar ferry. :(

I appreciate your honest review. I am going to be on this ship in September. I also want to hear ALL about the experiences. Posters must be allowed to feel comfortable about thier opinions. I also know how tired you are after a cruise to start writing. That was no problem at all. I had to write half of my Destiny review on that thread, and will finish the rest today. BTW.. everyone understood my exhaustion, and will wait for part 2. No big deal. Thanks again.

Angela,

I'm curious about whether you adjusted the tips of the dining room staff? Dinner should be one of the highlights of your day, not a stressful occasion!

I've always had excellent service in the dining room and tipped more than suggested amount, but I thiknk I would have reduced the tip in the circumstances you described.

Robbyxoxo, if you really feel that way, have you considered a different cruise line? There are so many different lines, and you might be better matched with a different line.

Mc and Kartz ~ Pay no attention to robbyxoxo. He's always negative - about Carnival and cruising in general - even tho he SAYS he has cruised Carnival many times. I have doubts about his cruising experience, period. He just shows up from time to time to spout off his negativity. :rolleyes:

Cotton!!.....u know good and well that im no newbie to cruising....so dont be playin....i may only post on rare occasions here, but ive been reading these boards daily for years....why in blazes would i be here reading every day if i never actually cruise?.....u silly girl......and my negative spouting is sorely needed here to offset all of the unwarranted optimism that is thrown around here by the cruise fanatics wearing rose colored shades......thats why some first timers be coming back less than thrilled....cause they come here and read some of these misleading posts talkin about how superb the food is and how the service is just outstanding......and for the most part that just isnt the norm on a carnival cruise...at least not what ive experienced on my 9 carnival cruises .....yes, weve had some good meals and have ran into some friendly professional staff.....but weve also had way more than enough times where the staff was unprofessional acting and with cranky attitudes.....and have eaten plenty of meals that were far from memorable.....it is what it is....why deny it happens.......Ive said postive things about cruising in the past....i just dont go on and on about them.......the food is pretty good for the most part.....some of the comedians and bands are very entertaining....and best of all is the value that cruising provides....to be able to go to the caribbean with room and all meals provided for as little as $350 a person for 7 days......i go for the ports...to see the islands.....cruising is the cheapest way to get there.....i could do without the crowds on the ship being surrounded with loads of walmarting midwesterners......but thats part of carnival cruising and all part of the deal........and YES i am finally trying a diff cruiseline this winter...ive had enough of the singing waiters and same ole stuff on carnival.....we sail the Miracle in december....but with 4 ports of call we will be off the ship much of the time..... come jan 2nd we do 14 days on Celebrity.....ill be shocked as he!! if the service and food isnt better than carnivals.....

I am glad that your cruise was an overall good experience. What you did experience at dinner is not acceptable. No matter how your expectations were. I would not like someone rolling their eyes at me. DId you go back to the dining room every night after that first night?? On next cruises if there is aproblem please head to the Martre de so he can address the problem.

Im sorry if we came across too strong. I am anxious when I read bad things about the Miracle. Especially since its a new ship.

OK, robbyxoxo, I'll try again. If you only use your Carnival ship as transportation and for inexpensive room and board (not a bad reason IMO), why are you choosing a cruise with only 4 ports of call? I'm not a Carrnival aficianado, but why not a cruise with only 1 day at sea? In fact you might want to look into cruise that RCCL is doing that has 11 nights and 10 ports, with only one day at sea - and I think that's so you can pack all your souvenirs. It will be cheaper than Celebrity, too.

Maybe with all the new cruise ships out there the cruiselines are having trouble finding English speaking people to fill all the positions.

sls

Destiny 12/2004

Sensation 5/2004

Holiday 1/2004

Conquest 11/2003

Angela,

Thanks for a good review, both the good and not so good. I think you did a great job in presenting the trip as you saw it. It's unfortunate that it happened on your first cruise. I can guarantee you that it won't always be that way.

Angela, thanks for the honest review. I, too, am sorry your first cruise wasn't everything you had hoped. Hopefully your next one will be great. The odds are in your favor for a fantastic cruise next time. :D

Highseas....heya! :-)......LOL @ the one day out of 11 to pack all the crapola we buy.......id LOVE to do the 10 days at port out of 11 total days...that would be like my dream cruise.....im surprised ive never noticed that one....i search around nonstop for cruise bargains .....i generally start my searches with Carnival based solely on the fact that Carnival is usually cheaper especially when booking the lowest of cabins....i also take into consideration whether we have to fly or if we can drive to do the cruise....we live in cincinnati, so driving to jacksonville or tampa or port canaveral isnt too bad.....Miami we gots to fly to.....anything to save me a $ I try and factor in first .....so I chose this Celebrity cruise because its out of jacksonville....so save the cost of flying....and secondly the price was totally rockin for this celebrity cruise....we paid $850 total per person for 14 days....plus cashing in on $250 credit to out S&S account for owning RCCL stock.....plus getting $500 with ICruise credit card....on and on it goes..................so to answer ur question about why we only chose a cruise with 4 port stops as opposed to like 6 stops on the Destiny.....cause as far as i know, pretty much the only sailings that have more than 4 stops in 7 days are those that leave out of san juan......and san juan = paying mega dollars for airfare.....its not worth it to me to pay $400 a person for airfare when im only paying $400 or so for the cruise.....thats my logic anyways........IF and WHEN i can find a cruise with few sea days and at a great price ill be all over it like spice on gumbo.....

My wife and I sailed on the Miracle out of Baltimore in May. This being our first cruise we did not have any expectations....friends and relatives told us what to expect, but we did not go with any preconceived notions.

Contrary to the original poster we found all of the crew members to be friendly and courteous. My wife and I sent a letter to Carnival to mention several by name. It is one thing to give these individauls a tip, but to be recognized in a letter from a passenger is priceless.

What can I say about the ship other than fantastic, tremendous, wonderful.....I could keep going on and on. The only part of the ship that we found alittle gaudy was the grape effect on the ceiling of the Bacchus Dininig Room. Other than that the ship is beautiful.

Todd Whittmer and his staff of Karl with a "K" and Big Tex were both informative and funny. I only wish that I had Karl's energy.

Food - Well I gained 10 pounds while on the cruise and only twice did I order more than one entree, both on the formal nights...filet mignon and lobster tail, couldn't resist. And the Liddo Deck Buffet - if you cannot find something to eat, it doesn't exsist. Our waiter and waitress at the Dinner room was a husband and wife team....I cannot say enough about these two people...there names were George and Julia (the "J" is silent).

Will continue in another post - Gotta Run!

I will DEFINATELY give cruising another go- We are already planning for next year. This was just once experince, unfortunately my first, but there will be others. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Angela

You should join us on the Valor Vampires in Oct next year. You can still get in for a $25 deposit until Jul 2. I can almost garauntee you it will not be a cruise you will regret. :D

If you would like to sail around the same time next year, you should think about joining the Valor Voyagers Group. We will be sailing from Miami on the brand new Carnival Valor on 6/12/05, and will be visiting Belize, Roatan Island, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Plus, if you book by this Friday, July 2nd, you can put down an initial deposit of just $25 per person! :D

Archived