Galapagos: Best Time To Go

katiekatie

Help ... we are looking into booking a cruise on X thru the Galapogos Islands in 2007.

I have no idea what is the perfect time of year for this cruise. This will be our first trip to SA and would appreciate any information, tips or past experiences that you would like to pass along to us. Thank you in advance for your help and input.

Katie

My DH and I just came back from the Xpedition (sailed May 7). We were told that November thru February is the busiest time of year followed by June - August. The naturalists told us there is no "perfect time" because there is always different things happening on the islands (ie. different mating times for animals, different animals, etc). I just read in Fodor's that said May/June and November/December but it gave no reason to why.

If you are interested in seeing specific animals or events, I would suggest that you do research to increase your chances of witnessing what you are interested in.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Xpedition or Quito.

Linda

Thanks Linda for your informtion. I have ordered the brochure from X on the Galapagos Island cruise.

I know nothing about that part of the world so anything would be a great help. For example - was it difficult to get from the airport to the ship? ... what type of cabin did you have (is one better than another since this is a small ship)? ... how was the food?

By the way, we'll be in Vancouver when we dock from our Alaska cruise on the Summit in August. We're staying at the Pan Pacific and I've heard that the Gotham Steakhouse is the best steakhouse in Vancouver and that the Stonegrill is an excellent place for lunch. Is that correct? We want to make the best of our short time there.

Thanks - Katie

The 10 and 11 night packages include 2 nights at the Marriott prior to the cruise. We flew in early (purchased airfare by ourselves) and had our TA arrange with the Marriott to have the Marriott's complimentary shuttle meet us at the airport. It was very easy and everyone at the Marriott can speak English. If you wish to take a taxi, it should cost no more than $7 (that is what the Marriott had told us). Everything is organized by Celebrity in getting the guests from the hotel to the airport and then the ship. At all times, guests are accompanied by Celebrity tour guides.

We bought a cabin closer to the front of the ship. The anchor was very loud, however it was noted by many passengers that the anchor could be heard everywhere (and quite loudly) so I doubt that it would have made a huge difference if we bought a cabin furthest away (also keep in mind that the ship is very small compared to a regular cruise ship). I think the crew planned the timing for dropping anchor quite well. It was either first thing in the morning (but at a time that you should be up and getting ready for the first excursion) or not too long after dinner. We found that we were not in our rooms very often other than sleeping. Our friends were in a penthouse suite. It was larger and had a regular sofa plus a balcony with a table and 2 chairs. They enjoyed their suite but did not use the balcony much. During our cruise, Deck 6 (where the exercise room, whirlpool, deck chairs are located) was always empty. When we went up there, we had the exclusive use of the area!

Yes, Gotham is excellent and don't forget to try their desserts. We enjoy the Stonegrill as well. We like bringing visitors to Vancouver there because of the experience (how many other places can you go where you can cook your own meat on a hot rock!) and it has a nice view of False Creek.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Linda

Linda,

Just wanted to say thanks again for your information. It was very practical and helpful and has taken away the fear of going to different part of the world I know nothing about. It does seem like with all the early mornings and intensive island hopping you would need a vacation from this vacation!

We're still waiting for the X brochure. It's more exciting to actually have the brochure in hand than try to look at everything on line. Doubt if we could afford the penthouse suite ... but maybe one day.

Katie

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks again to those that posted to this thread. We booked our 10 day cruise on the Xpedition for early June of 2007.

If anyone would still like to comment on their past experience I would very much appreciate it.

Katie

Archived