Can we use US$ in Paris or credit cards? /Airport to city transportatio

We are stopping in Paris for 3 nights in July.Does anyone know if we can use Dollars in little shops and restaurants or can we use credit cards to pay for like museum addmission or any other attractions. If not Do we buy euros before we leave here ,and where do we get the best rate??

My other question is :we are booked in Novetel Tour Eiffel hotel on 61 Quai de Grenelle ,very close to tour Eiffel.What is the best way to get there .There are 4 of us. I have heard about the RER .Can any one tell me where does it drop us and if there is a stop close to our hotel? Or any other suggestions.Thanks

We are stopping in Paris for 3 nights in July.Does anyone know if we can use Dollars in little shops and restaurants or can we use credit cards to pay for like museum addmission or any other attractions. If not Do we buy euros before we leave here ,and where do we get the best rate??

My other question is :we are booked in Novetel Tour Eiffel hotel on 61 Quai de Grenelle ,very close to tour Eiffel.What is the best way to get there .There are 4 of us. I have heard about the RER .Can any one tell me where does it drop us and if there is a stop close to our hotel? Or any other suggestions.Thanks

http://www.paris.org/Metro/

The above site should provide most of your answers.

My experience of travelling in Paris, even with luggage, is that the metro is bar far the easiest way of getting around. Tickets can be bought in Carnet's (a book of tickets for 10 journeys) or day / week ticckets for unlimited journeys. The RER trains are regional and are normally only used for day trips, athough they also stop at several city centre station including the Eiffel Tower. The following site shows your hotel's location and proximity to various metro stations. If flying into Paris, in a party of four, I would take a taxi to the hotel, but if you prefer public transport then buy a visitor's pass, at the airport, then travel by RER and metro. http://www.cybevasion.com/hotels/france/paris/hotel_map_novotel-paris-tour-eiffel_673.html

As for your monetary questions, you won't be able to buy things with dollars and credit cards may be declined for smaller amounts. I would look online for the best deal on currency exchange and pick up some Euros at your departure airport or before you leave home.

If not Do we buy euros before we leave here ,and where do we get the best rate??
Your best bet will be to use ATMs when you get there. But make sure that you have an ATM card and PIN that are compatible (lots of threads on CC about this) and a backup in case this method doesn't work.
If you are thinking of travelling from the airport to your hotel by RER, you must consider how much luggage you will have. The RER, like most suburban and metro trains, is not easy to navigate if you have lots of heavy luggage. If you do, I would personally recommend taking a cab for this journey. Theoretically, you could also do the bulk of the trip in one of the bus services (Air France has several buses into town, and there is an RATP bus called the Roissybus), and then doing the last little bit by taxi.

Your best bet will be to use ATMs when you get there. But make sure that you have an ATM card and PIN that are compatible.

The problem with that idea, is that when arriving in a strange airport on a long flight, one is normally very tired, so it's much easier to have less things to worry about. I say change some money before you arrive!

There is a bus that goes from airport to L'Opera without any stops. This is the center of the city and a good place to catch a cab (or metro if so inclined) to your hotel. You can buy your tickets at the airport. You can also buy them on the bus.

It's called the Roissy Bus. Do a web search. There is alot of different information on various websites.

The fare was about 8 Euro per person. MUCH cheaper than a taxi from airport to hotel, as CDG airport is kind of "suburban." It's a 45 minute ride from airport to city center.

You can pick up the Roissy Bus at L'Opera to go back to the airport as well! It picks up / drops off right next to the American Express office.

We took this transportation during a land trip to Paris and were able to walk just 10 minutes to our hotel. It was extremely convenient and a great value.

... it leaves from outside the airport and goes to the Opera Garnier in central paris. There are also Air France buses that go to the Arc de Triomphe, or somewhere very near there.

Roissybus is just under €10 per person, then you've got to get from the Opera to the Eiffel Tower area. Metro line 8 goes to roughly the right area - l'Ecole Militaire - but you might as well get a taxi from Opera, given that you'll have luggage. So perhaps €25 to €30 altogether? - You're not far from the cost of a cab all the way from the airport, which I would estimate at €40 to €50.

There are several ATM machines in the airport to get euros. We were nervous about not having any euros in hand but it was easy to get money out of the ATM. The first one we found was out of service, but we asked and there was another one very close that worked. Do yourself a favor and really research both the layout of the airport and the city before you go. Study the metro and bus maps so you have an idea of what you want to do, then write down your plan of attack on a small piece of paper because you will be excited to be in Paris when you get there and your brain won't want to concentrate on the details.

Paris is one of the easiest cities that we've ever traveled to--Philly and NYC are much harder.

Using Dollars is a no no. They want their own currency. Many shops even small ones will take mastercard or visa. Many of the museums will take master card and visa and almost all resturants do as well. But if you need to use cash its Euros only. Personally I get my Euros from ATMs but if you do a search you will see a discussion of this with others saying to get a small amount before you travel overseas. Personally I take a cab from the airport.

They don't take dollars in Paris. Best thing is to order some euros from your US bank or you may also withdraw with your credit card at an ATM in Paris, but some people's ATM cards don't work (my American cards always worked in France, not sure why some people have problems). Most places will take your American credit card for purchases over 20 € but you'll need some cash for small transactions.

They don't take dollars in Paris. Best thing is to order some euros from your US bank or you may also withdraw with your credit card at an ATM in Paris, but some people's ATM cards don't work (my American cards always worked in France, not sure why some people have problems). Most places will take your American credit card for purchases over 20 € but you'll need some cash for small transactions.

I don't use a credit card at an ATM its charged as a cash advance. Use the same card you use to get cash from your checking acounting(generally its a debit card) and you get the cash directly from your checking/savings account.

I am a firm believer of taking some Euro with you before you leave and getting the rest from ATM's over there. There are times when you arrive that a machine may be out of money, once I was there during a strike and there was no money to get. So take 100 Euro and you will be set for the first day.

Archived