Are Handicap rooms any bigger?

MRIrene

I am taking my Mom on the Ecstasy in Dec. She has just had a hip replacement and will have a knee replacement before we sail. She has to walk with the aid of a walker. Does anyone know if the handicap rooms are any bigger? She does have problems getting her walker into some smaller doorways and takes a little extra room to get around. I asked one of the people at Carnival and they told me that the room is not any bigger, but the shower is easier to get into. I thought I read a thread somewhere saying that someone got a handicap room by chance and it was bigger than the average room.

From what I have heard, most handicapped room are the same size but may not have a sofa like similar rooms in the same cabin category. They indicate that by removing the couch, it gives more room to navigate around the cabin.

I've taking my mom on the Ecstasy with her walker. Her walker fold and we just folded it up to get it through the doorway. My mom and I leave on the Ecstasy this Monday but this time, both of us will be using a walker. We have a category 11 room. I'll let you know how it works out.

Maybe some of the handicapped rooms on the newer ships are bigger, but not all. I've been checking into booking on the Spirit for the Mexican Riviera cruise. One of the rooms I inquired about was still 185 sq ft, but the balcony was 115 sq ft. :D If you call Carnival directly with a room number, they will give you the exact numbers for that cabin.

We were in cabin 7101 on the Verandah deck of the Pride a few weeks ago. I booked the room because it looked bigger on the deck plans. It ended up being a handicapped room that no one was in need of. Our room was 235 sq ft! The bathroom was huge. The shower was about 4x4 - big enough for a wheelchair to maneuver in.

Judy

Was on the Triump in May. Was in handicap room 1001 and it was big enoughfor a large power wheel chair to turn around in. It also had a couch in it as well as 2 twin beds. The shower was huge. The entry door to the room is also wider. We also had a small table in the room. We slept 3 adults comfortable in our room.

when I called Carnival about a handicap room, I was informed that there are no triple or quad rooms as such. You would have thought that Carnival would realize that people with mobility problems, etc... have families too that like to travel together.

Kathy,

Hope you and your Mom have a great time! Let me know how it goes. They are supposed to put the Ecstasy into dry dock in October before we leave on our cruise.

Thanks,

Irene

I checked with the purser's desk today here on the Ecstasy. The handicapped rooms are the same size as other cabins (185 sq ft) but have doorways and bathrooms that are handicapped accessible. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

On the Fascination they didn't have a handicapped room that would sleep 3 so I asked for a roll away. No problem.

We were used to having a roll away because most hotels we have stayed at didn't have handicapped rooms for 3. The cruise line offered to take the bed out in the AM and bring it back in the evening so we would have floor room.

We sailed on the Enchantment (RCCL) last year and had a handicapped cabin. They had done a great job of refitting the room to make it handicapped accessible (it was huge. ) By far the best handicapped accommodations we had experienced when traveling as a "Threesome".

On the Ecstasy, they do not recommend having a roll away bed because it makes the room to crowded. The size of the overall room is 185 sq ft like th others, but because the bathroom is larger, the rest of the space in the cabin is reduced. They will give you a roll away, but again, they do not recommend it. This is straight from the purser's desk last night here on the Ecstasy.

Two pursers had a difference of opionions. One said ONE room has the drop downs but the other said none have the drop downs. I know your mom will love the cruise. My mother rested a lot, but it was what she needed and is going home from the cruise relaxed.

Our cabin on the Pride was definitely larger- 235 sq ft. Plenty of room for a roll away. There were no drop down beds in our inside cabin. check it out on the deck plans of the Pride - 7101 on the Verandah deck

Judy

Archived