Tipping on celebrity...

kingsrx

In your opnion is it better to do the automatic withdrawl or pass out envelopes?

Are the automatic tips or hand passed tips pooled? I am just curious, I would like those that give us exception service to recieve the extra, not just pool it for everyone.

I read originally on the Celebrity site that the tips for children were approximately half that of an adult. I can't find that again, is that the case? I would tip more if the person went out of the way for my wee one (7 year old) but on average what is the recommendation.

If automatic tips are turned off does the crew member get into trouble? Or is this a rumor?

Here is what we believe to be true. It should answer most of your questions and then more:

1. The folks that get tips get paid (next to) nothing except tips. (Some have reported it to be $50/month + room and board.
  2. The earnings (after tips) of a cruise ship waiter is said to be between $2000 & $3000 month.
  3. Celebrity doesn't pool tips.
  4. If you pay in cash, use clean newer $20's whenever you can. Tears and rips cause the bills to get discounted when the money is converted at their local currency exchanges.
  5. Never tip with a $2 bill. While this idea is 'cute' they get discounted as much as 50% at their local currency exchanges.
  6. I don't know how voucher tips (bar and adding your tips to your room account) effects taxable income and tax reporting.
  7. Many people like to hand the tip to their waiter. Others like to not have to fuss with getting the right amount of cash--it's simply a matter of choice. Pre-tipping you cabin steward is becoming more and more popular too.

The tips are NOT pooled, they do go to the intended crew member. As to the Automatic vs Hand out, it's strictly personal preference. Altho most crew members who we actually asked prefer the hand out in the envelopes as there is no waiting to get their money. I personally think it's much nicer to hand them their tips and thank them personally, which is what we always do.

We have never sailed with children so I can't answer the amt of a child, or the question about stopping an automatic as we always hand pay.

Marilyn

If you use the automatic tip system you still receive a voucher that you can hand directly to the recipient. They are notified in advance as to who used the automatic system. If you receive exellent service you can alway add a additional amount. Money is money and it is well received either way.

Hi,

in the "Celebrity Today!" (the on board newspaper) from May 19th 2006 is written the following:

GRATUITIES

Here at Celebrity Cruises, we realize that tipping is a very personal matter. Since we receive so many questions regarding gratuities, we suggest the following as a guideline:

Dining Room Waiter:

$3.50 per person per day.

Waiter Assistant:

$2.00 per person per day.

Assistant Maître d':

$0.75 per person per day.

Stateroom Service:

Concierge Class Stateroom Service:

$4.00 per person per day.

Butler (Suites Only):

Asst. Chief Housekeeper:

$0.75 per person per day.

Children under 12 need only to tip half of the above amounts.

Tip envelopes have been placed in your stateroom. Bar/Wine Waiters: A 15% service charge is automatically added to each bar bill. If you are approched by any of the above staff for gratuities, report the matter to the Hotel Director, or write it on your Comment Form.

Hope that helps.

Since we will be on a Med cruise, should we tip in American $$ or in Euros? A previous poster suggested $20 so I assume he was referring to American money. Thanks for any help in this area.:confused:

Very good question. I have always provided tips on cruise ships in US dollars regardless of where we have cruised including South America, Europe and Asia and it is perfectly fine to do this.

Keith

Archived