Passports Needed Dec. 06 ?

Hi all we are traveling in December to the Caribbean and I was just wondering if we need passports ? I know they said no but if we don't have passports then what else should we take ? Just our drivers license and birth certificates, or should we just get the passports, I didn't realize they were so dang expensive ...........UGH !!!

In my opinion, if you leave the USA every person should have a passport. It makes sense to me.

Yes, there is a charge but if you take the cost and divide it by the years that passport is good for, I don't believe its that expensive.

I think that after this year it will be a requirement to have one if you are on a cruise. So if a person thinks that they will be cruising in 2007 or beyond you will have to pay for it anyway. Why not get in now? You will have to pay for it sometime.

A passport is a good way to go and you will need it for your next cruise anyway. If the cost is an issue, you can get by with DL & BC for now.

We have our passports as of last year and do not regret having it. Easier to produce one form of ID than multiples too.

Have a good one

When is your cruise ending? If it ends before 12/31/06 then you are fine with just your drivers license and birth certificate (make sure it government issued and not the hospital certificate). If it ends after 12/31/06 then you will need a passport. In either case, a passport is always a good idea.

even though a passport is almost 100.00, it is good for ten years.. (only 10.00 a year) very cheap when you think about it.. and you will have to have it for any sailings after Dec 31, anyway.. unless you DO NOT plan to cruise anymore (and I would think that is unlikely as cruising has an addictive nature) you should just budget it in and get them... but for this year you must have your DL and birth certifcate to board.. (birth certificate must be one with a raised seal to be accepted.)

hope that helped

:)

This is assuming your cruise ends PRIOR to 01.01.07. If it doesn't, you might not be allowed back in the US ;-). Think of the Cheech & Chong movie "Born in East L A".

Really, you're going to need it anyway for subsequent cruises, so you might as well bite the bullet and get your passports; you won't regret it.

Currently, you need just the dl and embossed bc to cruise. However, if you are returning after 12/31 you will need a passport to board...people will be denied boarding and will not be compensated.

And to confuse things more, the Senate today passed an amendment to the immigration act delaying the requirement of passports returning from the Caribbean, Canada, and Mexico for an additional year and a half. This is not law yet because the immigration act has not been passed yet in Senate; and it could be deleted in negotiations with the House.

So, passport procastinators may be able to continue practicing their art...but I wouldn't risk a cruise on that idea!

As things stand now, you will need passports if you arrive in the US by air or sea after December 31, 2006. There are still some groups urging that the deadline be further postponed so that it coincides with the 2007 deadline for land crossings, so stay tuned. Only last week the New England Governors and Eastern Canadian premiers urged such a delay. I'd recommend getting a passport regardless and if you consider that they are good for 10 years they are not that expensive when weighed against the cost of your cruise.

One thing to think about for those of you that are putting it off, especially if you are cruising early next year. Reports are that it is taking longer and longer to get passports. So where it used to be they would say 6 weeks, and it would come anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks, now they are saying 12 weeks and in many cases it is taking that long. If the deadlines hold firm, and it is highly likely they will despite the action taken by the Senate, the wait for passports is going to be even longer. Make sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get a passport if it is needed for your cruise.

I too cringe at the cost. We have an appointment to get passports in a few weeks. We need one for myself and two of the kids, hubby already has one. So I'll be spending $260. I look at it this way, whether they delay the deadline or not, you will need the passport to go anywhere soon. I have heard rumors that the price may go up once the deadline approaches. We are cruising in Dec. also and will probably crusie again or go out of the country for a vacation.

Go get the passports if you think you might ever go out of the country again. Just consider it as part of the cruise price in your budget.

Archived