Port Canveral information needed

serene56

Looking into a cruise (elation) for Aug, 2007. One of the ports is Port canveral and I have few questions that I need help on.

#1- THe airport is MCO (orlando) is there a closer airport?

#2- How far is it from MCO to the pier? (I know its not a 5 minute

cab ride like Miami or FLL)

#3- How much will it cost for ground transportation from the airport to

the port? be in carnival transfers. renting a car?? car service

like limo or town car.

#4- are there hotels close to this pier or is it better to stay in Orlando?

any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated to make a decision.

Hi Cheryl! Just got back from Orlando this past sunday...took a weekend trip to Cocoa Beach (which is about 10 minutes from Port Canaveral).

It took us approximately 35-40 minutes to drive from the Port Canaveral area to Orlando Int'l Airport. There are LOTS of hotels around the port area, so I would suggest staying close by there, rather than in Orlando.

Are you planning on staying a day before?

Looking into a cruise (elation) for Aug, 2007. One of the ports is Port canveral and I have few questions that I need help on.

like limo or town car.

any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated to make a decision.

Also, there are no other airports that are closer than Orlando.

I hooked my friends up last week on their Glory cruise with a company called Interplex, and when they returned this past Saturday, they had nothing but rave reviews for the Interplex driver. Also, the rates were really good. Their website is www.interplex.net.

We'll be leaving this Saturday from Port Canaveral. Unfortunately, I have to work on Friday so we won't be flying down until Saturday morning. :( (At least it's a direct flight and it is early in the morning.) Anyway, we will be using the transportation provided by Carnival...it's $25 per person each way (not to bad for us 'cause there's just two).

DH and a relative that lives in Cocoa Beach have also confirmed that it is approximately 45 minutes from Orlando to Port Canaveral. I think the next closest airport after that would be the Tampa airport.

Hope this helps a little bit!

We'll be leaving this Saturday from Port Canaveral. Unfortunately, I have to work on Friday so we won't be flying down until Saturday morning. :( (At least it's a direct flight and it is early in the morning.) Anyway, we will be using the transportation provided by Carnival...it's $25 per person each way (not to bad for us 'cause there's just two).

DH and a relative that lives in Cocoa Beach have also confirmed that it is approximately 45 minutes from Orlando to Port Canaveral. I think the next closest airport after that would be the Tampa airport.

Just returned from the 5/8 sailing of the Fantasy. We went down the same day because I had to work on Sunday. It worked out fine for us. We had planned to go the day before but it didn't work out. To the OP....you might find a cheaper hotel in Orlando. Everything in Cocoa Beach was fairly expensive "just to sleep over". My son and DIL went the week before us and just grabbed a hotel at MCO and took the hotel shuttle back to the airport to get on the Disney Cruise bus.

This winter when we cruised from Port Canaveral on the Glory our large group used both MCO Express and Orlando Transportation. If you dont need to transport a large group, you can rent a car at MCO from Alamo and leave it at the Alamo drop off spot near the port. Alamo will then transfer you free of charge to the port. That sounds like a good deal. I do know that it is approx $100. cab cost from MCO to the port area. We stayed the night before at the Radisson @ The Port which is about 5 minutes from the ship. I believe we payed about 150. which included a bufett breakfast and a shuttle to the port. The hotel was nothing special but it was very clean. That is always a good thing.:)

serene56

questions 2 and 3 have been answered for you.

question 1 = SFB sanford aiport may be marginally closer in miles but not as easy to get to. this airport sometimes referred to as the other orlando. also, it is just to the northwest but is a smaller regional airport that handles connecting flights. do not look for a non-stop to there. if you are coming out of philly or newark you are better off with mco.

question 4 = i've done both. orlando hotels as well as cocoa beach. in my opinion it really is a function of when your flight arrives along with your entertainment requirements for your pre-cruise enjoyment. if you arrive late in the day, get to the cocoa beach area so you can enjoy the morning. not much happening in cocoa beach, don't look for it you'll miss boarding!

if you arrive early the day before you sail, stay in orlando. even if you stay close to the airport, there is plenty to do.

I'm fairly comfortable with our flight since it is direct and we arrive at 10:10 am, but it was nice to hear from someone who didn't have any problems - especially after the horror stories I've heard on here! I'm still nervous about the rest of the group going with us...they don't get there until 12:50, and they have a layover in Atlanta.:eek:

But, I know it's going to work out great!!!:D I already told them I'd greet them with a drink on the ship...but how I'm going to get away with carrying 10 drinks - plus mine, I haven't quite figured out yet.:p

In Port Canaveral you have Radisson, Ron Jon, The Residence INN which just opened and the Four Points by Sheraton. I don't think the Sheraton has opened yet.

I have stayed at the radisson which was very nice. If you stay there get the suite though. We will be staying at the Residence Inn before our cruise in August.

Before our cruise next month on the Fantasy we are staying in Orlando for 2 days at the Hyatt Grand Cypress that we got on Priceline.

Bill

We have used Budget rental from MCO & stayed at Cocoa beach precruise. On Saturday we turn the car into the Port Canaveral location & they have a free shuttle to the ship. We are going on the Glory again in October & rented through Budget for $33.04/ unlimited miles. I remember the drive to the beach to be close to an hour. For the return trip we purchased transfers on the ship. I think it was $20PP, but that was 2003. Someone will probably have more current prices. Enjoy your cruise.

Brian

Could you tell me the location that you drop the car off in Cape canaveral. When looking to price a car I cant find a drop off location name.

Bill: how do you find cruising a fantasy class ship after sailing with the big ones... Caribbean Princess among other "longer" cruises?

Could you tell me the location that you drop the car off in Cape canaveral. When looking to price a car I cant find a drop off location name.

We've used Avis many times when sailing out of Port Canaveral.

They're under Cape Canaveral and the code is P3F. We've been happy with them, they're prompt taking you to and from the ship and the people working at the counter are efficient.

Street address is 6650 North Atlantic Avenue, Cape Canaveral. Phone: 386-253-8183. Thrifty is another option, they're right across the street from Avis.

Serene,

We used Budget. It is approximately 45 miles and an easy drive to the port. Budget's return location, listed as Cape Canaveral, is the closest, about 1/4 mile from the port. They have a free shuttle and were very friendly and professional. Avis is about 3 miles down A1A.

Also, Melbourne airport is closer but usually more $ to fly into. I am coming back in September for a high school reunion and will be flying into Orlando (MCO) and staying at the Radisson because that's where the party is.

I've stayed at the Radisson, Comfort Inn and the Hampton Inn. I prefer the Hampton Inn just because it is too crowded on cruise day at the Radisson. They have a free shuttle service and even with scheduled times, there was chaos, shoving, and shouting. Some just took a $5 cab ride over.

I have also stayed at the AmeriSuites very close to the Orlando airport. They have a free shuttle. You can stay there, then take the shuttle back to the airport and catch the ship's transfers or take Art's Shuttle Serivce.

Have fun planning.

Teresa

Bill: how do you find cruising a fantasy class ship after sailing with the big ones... Caribbean Princess among other "longer" cruises?

Sat, Oct 21, 2006 10:00 AM

CAPE CANAVERAL,FL, CAPE CANAVERAL - CC5

location hours Sun 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM; Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM; Sat 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

phone 321-951-4813

I think the code is CC5

Staying with the same topic....

Has anyone ever used this company?

www.pricelesstransportation.com

I'm going with a group of 20 or so, and the luxury mini-bus seems like a really good option. Even though we won't need the 3 hours minimum service, by paying it we are still saving roughly $15/person as compared to all the competitors I've been reading about.

I'm not going to lie, I don't have the same anticipation factor but it is still a cruise. I cruise for the itinerary, and cost. By crusing on the fantasy I was able to save money and book another cruise in August.

Bottom line it is still a cruise, the ship doesn't have all the bells and whistles. I'd rather cruise twice then have bells and whistles.;)

That being said I am booked on the Sapphire Princess for next summer. We are only doing one cruise so we're doing a bigger ship.

Bill

Staying with the same topic....

Has anyone ever used this company?

www.pricelesstransportation.com

I'm going with a group of 20 or so, and the luxury mini-bus seems like a really good option. Even though we won't need the 3 hours minimum service, by paying it we are still saving roughly $15/person as compared to all the competitors I've been reading about.

the luxury bus holds 28 people and you have 20 people. (PLUS luggage- did you check to see if it all will fit??? It holds 28 people comfortable. figure if each person has 2 pcs plus a carry on... I would double check on that too

like limo or town car.

#1-We usually fly into( MLB )Melbourne airport from JFK .That is the closest airport to Port Canaveral.A very small , nice ,easy airport.I think 10 gates.

#2-I think It's about 60 miles from Orlando to the pier.

#4- We have stayed at the Cocoa Beach Hilton Oceanfront and enjoyed it. It's on HighwayA1A direct to the Port.

Have a great trip!

Archived