Negotiating with the onboard photo shop

Scott Cyn

Some time back, there was a discussion on here about a way to negotiate with the photo shop. The advice was to pick out your pictures each day and ask the photo desk to hold them for you. Then at the end of the cruise make them an offer of say $100 for the whole file.

I tried it on a short RCCL cruise last fall and the guy looked at me like I had two heads.

Has anybody done this with any success?

Scott

That idea makes a lot of sense to me.

I noticed on the last day of my recent cruise that thousands of photos remained unsold. I think the prices of the photos have skyrocketed over the past few years so that you think twice about spending $14.95 for each one. The average couple has 1 taken on embarkation, 1 one on each formal night, and 1 each day coming off the gangway in each port.

Don't they realize that if they charged $7.95 instead of $14.95 they would sell a lot more? They've already incurred the cost of printing the photo, and they have to throw them all out at the end of the cruise.

It's relatively cheap these days to print digital photos, so they probably don't mind throwing so many away. I can get 8x10" prints from Shutterfly for $3.99, and I'm sure they're making a good profit on it!

Still, they took six photos of my Mom and I and we only bought one of them. It does seem wasteful.

We always wait until the end of the cruise to choose which pictures to buy. On Galaxy last year we were able to negotiate with them. On Mercury earlier this month they wouldn't negotiate, but you did get a free picture for every 3 you bought.

Terri

Archived