Can you wear black or red to a wedding?

tw1168

I will be cruising on the Carribean Princess in June and attending a wedding on board.

I have a black mid length formal gown and a red full length formal gown, can I wear either of these. I know that these are not mainstream colors for a wedding and I would not wear either of them to a land based wedding. My problem is that the wedding is at 3:30 in the afternoon on a formal dining night, so I am thinking I will not have much time to change into another dress after the festivities.

What are your thoughts? I am keeping my eyes open for a new dress everytime I go out to shop.

Oh, the bride will be in a full length beige colored dress and the groom will be in a tux. My husband, who is the best man will be in a tux as well. No word on what the MOH will be wearing.

Only rule for guests is not to wear white, or in this case, I wouldn't wear beige, because that's the bride's color choice.

No reason not to wear black or red as long as they're not too wintery looking in either fabric or silhouette.

but I have worn black to a formal evening wedding. Since the men will be in tuxes you will blend in a little better then the red dress. The ban on red in my dress wardrobe is just a hold out from my Mom telling us not to wear red or white to weddings. White because you look like a bride and red because you look the opposite of a bride. I still remember the girl in the red dress at my sister's first wedding some 20+ years ago. I guess I remember her because she turned out to be the groom's girlfriend:eek: so I guess red was appropriate for her.

I would also try and find out what color the MOH is wearing as you do not want to match her either.

I think black is fine to wear to a wedding. The views on this seemed to have changed. At my wedding a few years ago 1/2 the guests were in black. I even had one person wear a white suit!

I would consider avoiding the red dress unless you want people to think you are trying to steal some of the spotlight from the bride.

I've worn both black and red to weddings.

I usually wear black to formal evening weddings because it is more somber of the two.

The only time red is inappropriate is if you are attending an Asian wedding (including Indian brides of Asia) as many Asian brides wear red wedding dresses.

I have a niece getting married onboard a ship soon and her bridesmaid and maid of honor will be wearing red, the MOB (my sis) is wearing black and white. I think it will look lovely.

I'm wearing pink :)

OK,

The time has come and I have decided!

I tried on the black and red...thought they both looked lovely and I am taking both. The red for the wedding and the black for the second formal night. The black is not full length so it will be better served on the second dressy night.

Thanks for all your opinions!

Archived