?? re Owners Suite on the Dawn

Smellytoes

Tried to get twin beds in place of the king-size in an Owner's suite on the Dawn. This is not possible as the king-size is installed permanently with a built-in headboard. A cot is possible however, but they're very uncomfortable.

I tried to get a cot and was told no. They want to enforce that the traveler has a good experience and will not allow this. They wouldn't even bring in extra bedding since my mom wanted to sleep out on the couch in case she snored (I hope she doesn't read this!).

We had one of the Owner's suites back in March on the Dawn - loved it, by the way! Anyway, my husband generally took a nap every afternoon on the large couch in the living room. He said it was very comfortable. I'm not sure how it would be for all night or during rough seas, but you could use it if you hated the cot. There is also a strange looking, but fairly comfortable, lounge chair in the living area you could try. Heck, I'd try sleeping on the floor or in the jacuzzi tub if I could have that room back! ;)

This is interesting to know. I also have four kids traveling with me and having just the threat of being pulled out of their inside cabin is enough to control behavior. But if we can't under any circumstances make one of them sleep in our cabin I'll lose that threat. I find it difficult to believe that the butler couldn't get an extra pillow and blanket for someone to sleep on the couch if necessary.

sclauss: Are you saying that you had to sleep with your mom??? Seriously, I want to know. We are booked on the Dawn in an aft BA. We've had this cabin twice now and LOVE it. But this past time I noticed that as the kids get larger there is less room in the cabin when they're all hanging out in there. We are seriously discussing either the possibilty for an upsell or booking an AB or AA outright. If NCL won't bring an extra blanket if we're in the AA then it doesn't make any sense for us to book an AA. (I'd much prefer an AA. I'd love to try the forward balcony this time)

In the AA suite on the Dawn, my mom and I shared the King bed and the cruise before that a friend and I had to sleep in the same bed (it was worth it just to be in the Owners Suite). The AA only accomodates 2 people. They will not sell it to any party over 2. I was told by the butler that they will not do a cot or let people sleep on the couch since they think that for an owners suite, they want the cabin used as it was designed to use to make the guest as comfortable as they can be.

If you are more than 2 people, you must do the AB or go down to Balcony level.

Sharon

We were told that we could have booked the connecting room (a mini-suite, I think) for half price if we wanted when we booked the owner's suite. The connecting door is to the living room and the owner's suite bedroom can be closed off for privacy so you can leave that door open a lot and the kids can go back and forth without bothering you too much. There is also a connection to the suite (an AC maybe?) on the other side of the owner's suite on the front of the boat. I'm not sure if you could get as good of a deal as half price but you could try.

With respect to sleeping on the couch or whereever - we had more than enough pillows all over the place including extra on the bed (and big decorative pillows on the couch, chairs, etc.) and you can certainly ask for and receive additional blankets. They don't need to know where you plan to use them. Honestly, my husband usually just grabbed one of the large beach towels and threw over him for the naps on the couch.

We had been in an aft bacony suite (AD) on the Star the year before we booked the owner's suite on the Dawn. Truthfully, we did not use the front balcony off the owner's suite on the Dawn as much as I thought we would. It was soooooooooooo windy - almost uncomfortable - most of the time. It was neat, though, when you were not moving and you could see the captain and crew up above you working. We used the side balcony all of the time. It was wonderful. You had to be really careful about opening both the front and side balcony doors at the same time, though, or you'd create quite a wind tunnel even out through the hall. I truly loved our aft balcony on the Star and used it much more than the front balcony on the Dawn.

One really nice thing about the owner's suite is the extra 'guest' bathroom off the living room near the door to the hallway. It is just a sink and toilet but it is really nice to have that extra feature. The owner's suite was really fabulous and I think you would really enjoy it. We thought it was well worth the money for all the extra space, especially since we were on a longer cruise.

My TA just called. She told me I could get cabin #9506 and an inside cabin for the kids for about what an upsell would cost me. Instead of doing an upsell they'll give me half off the inside cabin. I told her to go for it!! I'm so excited I could scream!!

When you book any suite, not a mini, you automatically get 50% off the inside right? I booked an AD and was able to get the inside on the same deck for 50% off.

I'm sure you will love the owners suite. The best perk I have heard of (besides the free booze) is the early entrance to the chocoholic buffet........that line is always so long.

I'm so glad I have you guys to share this with because my family doesn't seem to care.lol I do believe that NCL offers 50% off a second cabin if you book a suite. My TA says that it is only sometimes but they gave it to me this time and it cost about what I was planning on spending if I had gotten an upsell. Only I don't have to worry about the cabin not being there anymore.

Indyjaybird: I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me the info on 50% off a cabin if you book a suite. Because of you I called my TA to see if that could apply to me. Sure enough it did. I got the Owner's suite and an inside cabin for about the same amount of money I was willing to spend on an upsell. So thank you again:D

My TA just called. She told me I could get cabin #9506 and an inside cabin for the kids for about what an upsell would cost me. Instead of doing an upsell they'll give me half off the inside cabin. I told her to go for it!! I'm so excited I could scream!!

Congratulations!

How exciting for you!!

You will love 9506 - beautiful suite, great balconies, wonderful service:)

Did I mention it was for 11 days!!!! Its also a western caribbean cruise which I have been dreaming about doing for years. Now I get to experience this in an Owners Suite!! I can't believe it still. I haven't told DH yet (haven't told him I booked the cruise period). I'm thinking about not telling him till we get there but that means all of us need to keep this a secret for almost 10 months.

You are more than welcome! I'm so glad for you! We had the suite above you on the 10th floor, I believe. Have a great time! Your family will really love all that space.

On our cruise, I went to the cruise critic group meeting and met all of the wonderful people I talked with on the boards. We all wanted to tour one of the garden villas but they were both booked and not cc members. I said it wasn't the garden villa, but they were more than welcome to come see the owner's suite. More husband was off getting a massage so I didn't know if he was back in the room or still out. About 25 people followed me down to our room and they let me go in to make sure my husband wasn't in the shower or something and they all came in to look around. They were so much fun - everyone ran around and took photos (some said they wanted to tell people those were pictures of their room on the trip - I thought that was great!). I thought it would have been hilarious if my husband had walked in on all these strangers running around our room but he missed them. One of the men was really funny - we ran into him and his wife the next day and he told my husband, "I had a great time in your room yesterday with your wife!"

We only received our 'upsell' a week prior to the sailing so we were both very excited to get it. I'm very excited for you! If you send me an e-mail at sfallis@skilesdetrude.com I can send you photos of our room for your reference. I think your room is similar. You will really like the dressing area - it's huge, out of the way, and really nice. You even get two safes. Not that I had anything valuable to put in either of them except some cash! Some of the best perks of the room are that you get to order breakfast everyday to be served in your room. We wrote in things like Eggs Benedict and smoked salmon and they always brought it. We ordered dinner one night to eat on the balcony, but it seemed to be a lot of trouble for the butler as she had to run back and forth for each course. You get a cell phone to use on the ship to call your room or the butler or concierge. You'll have reserved seats in the theater in the balcony, three bottles of alcohol (I gave ours all away to cc members and our neighbors on the boat), any drinks you want, early entrance to the chocolate buffet, tender passes, just about anything you can think of. We were definately out of our element. We are just a couple of workaholics who take a couple of vacations a year. It was great to be treated special. Once in the hallway, I heard some man say to his wife (not very nicely), "Oh, there go the rich people!" I had to laugh - we just scrape by like everyone else - we just lucked into a great deal!

Archived