big thimbs up for cave-tubbing.com!

gkeep

We just got back from the valor on Sunday, and we had a great time with cave-tubbing.com in Belize! We had a party of 8 - were the first set to check in. we waited for a little while for some more people, then we were off! The seats on the bus were very comfy! Our bus had 16 guests and 5 guides!!

I can't say enough about what a better deal this is than the cruise ships - better service, better experience, half the price!

We went through the extra cave, and had time to stop for lunch, and still got back to the pier with about 1 1/2 hours before the last tender.

We felt very safe, and you could tell that the number one goal of the guides was to make sure your trip was as awesome as it could be.

I would be happy to answer any questios!

And thaks and hello to our friends at cave-tubbing.com - "Sheila - what? - Butts up!!"

gkeep

it sounds like you had a great time. i will be there next april and am trying to decide what to do. cave tubbing was one of the options i really am interested in. i have never cave tubbed before. do you think this would be a problem for me. i am a good swimmer if that makes a difference. i will be going single and that also makes reservations hard because of just one person on the reservation. please tell me more and how much your tour was. thanks alot.

Glad you had a good time... we are not sure what to do in Belize...we may just tender in , shop a little, and visit a local bar and watch the world go by.

As far as the comfortable bus that you were on....I have read that the trip is very rough and bumpy...what kind of bus were you on? Was it a school bus like they use in Roatan? Just curious...that was the worst and most uncomfortable ride. It did get us to an absolutely beautiful perfect beach...Tabayana.

How long was the bus ride each way?

Thanks!

I have booked Yhonny, cave-tubing.com for my trip in July. Im happy you had a great time!

Im looking forward to it.

Questions: do they tell you alot about the history, mayan caves, etc. the wildlife? Do you get a chance to jump into a lagoon area.. Ive seen that pic on other websites. I love to birdwatch..did you see alot of birds?

Do they lock up your belongings.

How was lunch?

Thank you

OK - lets see if I can answer a few of your questions!

"i have never cave tubbed before. do you think this would be a problem for me. i am a good swimmer if that makes a difference. i will be going single and that also makes reservations hard because of just one person on the reservation. please tell me more and how much your tour was. thanks alot."

I do not think this would be a problem - we had a leasurely trip down the river. You have a big tube, and a life jacket is attached to each tube to use if you would like. Many areas you would be even be able to stand up in. The water levels do vary at different times of the year - so high waters would make for a faster paced ride. Our water level was quite low. But - the guides are literally within a foot or two of you the whole time and will make sure you avoid any problems. The cost is $45 per person, add $5 for lunch. I am not sure how one person would reserve, you would want to email them from the website and ask.

"As far as the comfortable bus that you were on....I have read that the trip is very rough and bumpy...what kind of bus were you on? Was it a school bus like they use in Roatan?"

Yes, it was a white school bus, but it had been altered inside. I was a little worried when I saw the outside, but happy when I sat on the seats. They were very think cushioned, high backed, almost rocking type seats, with a thick velour/ plush like covering. Our bus was barely half full, so lots of room for everyone. They were definately more comfortable than the bus I rode in after getting off the ship - like a greyhound seat. Honestly, I don't know if all their buses are just like this, but I would guess they are. They mentioned they ordered them from Texas, custom.

The road is mostly paved, and is bumby in parts. Didn't bother me. There are a few miles toward the end that is on gravel road, much bumpier. As far as length - I don't quite remember maybe 30 - 45 minutes? I think it says on their site.

"were you able to enter the water by walking or do you have to jump in?"

We went the up the trail to the entrance for the second cave. At this location there is a small drop into the water - maybe a few feet, down a pretty smooth rock area. You have the choice to back down on a rope, or fall back into you tube. There is a guide standing in the water to assist you. I am 4 months pregnant, so I wasn't into jumping into my tube. As I said before - they are very cautious with their guests, and my guide made me sit on my but and slide down the few feet on the rock. The water itself was very shallow here - up to your knees maybe.

We passed by the regular entrance just after the higher cave, where the cruiseline cattle were entering the river. I believe they just walked into the water here.

"Questions: do they tell you alot about the history, mayan caves, etc. the wildlife? Do you get a chance to jump into a lagoon area.. Ive seen that pic on other websites. I love to birdwatch..did you see alot of birds?"

We got some history type info on the ride out, and info on wildlife/trees/plants along the way. I wouldn't say it was alot of info, but they were always happy to answer any questions you may have. The info they did give was very interesting. We also got some history on the caves, and only a few mentions from out actual guide of Mayan info.

I don't remember a lagoon, there was an area of the river that many people were swimming in/ jumping into which you cross at the beginning, and exit out at the end. Very beautiful place.

I don't remember seeing birds, I wasn't looking for any either, though.

"Do they lock up your belongings"

We were told that our belongings were very safe, the bus would be locked, and that anything left on the bus would be there when we got back. We ended up leaving all our items on board the bus- money, sail and sign, etc. with no problems.

"How was lunch?"

Lunch was great - a buffet style meal, welcome to eat all you wanted. It was rice and beans, with chicken. I think ice-tea and lemonade was included. I was a little worried at first, being pregnant and all. But I did eat it, it was very good, and no one in our party of 8 had any problems. Cokes were $1 each - there was beer as well, but no one in our party drinks so I don't remember the cost - I think it was cheap though. The name of the place was Cheers. There was an area set up for us. They told us that this place is very good, and safe to eat - filtered water for ice etc.

They are very concerned with keeping up good references and so want us to know they would never take us anywhere that was not up to par. They said they don't get any kick back or anything for the cost of the meal, but they do get a free luch when they stop.

Is the 35-45 minute part the rough, bumpy part? About how many minutes was the rough bumpy part?

Also, in the bus, was there plenty of leg room...I am more concerned with this than the comfort of the seats....

Sorry for all the questions....

I'm not really a wimp....I had a huge blood clot in my leg that went from ankle to above the knee...(and need to keep it stretched out when I can)...from Nov.2004 that didn't clear until July 2005....leg still gets sore sometimes...don't want it cramped behind the knee...could be dangerous for me....

My boyfriend would love to do the cave tubing....

Thanks for all the info!

"Is the 35-45 minute part the rough, bumpy part? About how many minutes was the rough bumpy part?"

The whole trip was 35-45 minutes - the gravel road was maybe the last 15 minutes or so. This part was very bumpy. The paved road areas were not anywhere near as bad as the gravel roads, though they were rough occasionally.

Also, in the bus, was there plenty of leg room.."

Well, I think the leg room was pretty standard - though no where near as bad as the seats on my American Airlines flights - I thought I was going to die on my east to west coast flights. The important thing was that the bus was less than half full, so there was plenty of room for everyone. My husband and I are tall, so we crave leg room anyway. We both took two seats, he sat behind me. I sat sideways most of the time and had my legs up and sticking into the aisle sometimes as I have a blood flow problem when I am pregnant - so I worry about clots as well. I have to put my feet up whenevery possible.

"What did you wear? Would old tennis shoes work for the cave tubing part?"

You can wear whatever you want, and there is a large restroom/changing area at the site. I wore my bathing suit with my clothes over it for the ride. And most of is got ready to go on the bus - took of clothes, got on water shoes, sunscreen etc. They want to move as fast as possible when you get there to stay in front of large groups on the trail.

They also encouraged us not to wear shirts in the water, because some people get cold in the caves and wet clothes will get you colder. I was never cold. You can wear water shoes, or sandals that can get wet, or old tennis shoes. Whatever you are comfortable in. You just need something to protect your feet on the hike, and when you stand up in the river. We never had to stand up the entire trip until it was time to get out. Our guide pulled us through and shallow spots. No flip flops because they are easily lost in the water. We brought bug spray and used it before going on the hike - but we saw very few if any bugs and there weren't any on the water.

After the trip I changed out of my bathing suit into dry clothes - and it would be good to have dry shoes if yours don't dry fast.

Thanks so much! You are a wealth of information and I appreciate it!

I love it when people take the time to answer those important questions , some that might not seem so important to others.

I am thinking , wow, she's pregnant and she handled the bumps, I should be able to do this too! Especially with guides that are willing to help you!

My knee doesn't bend as well as it used too from not using it for so very long. I am sure they will help me into the water, aren't you?

Does the river part end at the point where you get out of the van?

Or do you have to walk again? I can walk for 30 minutes on a treadmill. I should be o.k. I'm getting pretty excited about this!

Thanks again...you're great!

I went to the website and they only show a price for 5 or more. Will they book for two people?
He will book only two, but it will be $10 more pp. I think he would tend to put you in with some more people that are scheduled. We found some others on our roll call and combined groups so we'd be together and get the $45 rate.

CB, I grew up in Columbus.... still get up there a few times a year to visit family/friends and to order Massey's pizza!

John

Suggestion: Join the role call for your ship. Post that you have reserved Yhonny (cave-tubing.com) and need a few others to join in so you all could get a discount. Then have a meet & greet onboard and your all set.

I did that and got the other people I needed.

He will book only two, but it will be $10 more pp. I think he would tend to put you in with some more people that are scheduled. We found some others on our roll call and combined groups so we'd be together and get the $45 rate.

CB, I grew up in Columbus.... still get up there a few times a year to visit family/friends and to order Massey's pizza!

John

Thanks John.....never had Massey's pizza.....

Our favorite is B&B's on Karl Rd.... We are pizzaholics!

Suggestion: Join the role call for your ship. Post that you have reserved Yhonny (cave-tubing.com) and need a few others to join in so you all could get a discount. Then have a meet & greet onboard and your all set.

I did that and got the other people I needed.

Thanks...might just do that!

Cruzn

I'm booked w/ Yhonny and will be taking this excursion 2 weeks from tomorrow.

DH has an above-knee prosthetic leg and let me tell you how accomodating Yhonny has been.

He and I have been emailing back and forth, figuring out a way for hubby to take this excursion. He has to have his leg on, or he couldn't hike. It can't get any wetter than getting caught in a light rain.

Yhonny has gone above the norm to work this out with us. His exact wording was "you'd know better than I what safety requirement are needed and I will follow your advice". We're paying extra for these steps (and glad to do it). We were only 4 booking, but he still gave the $45 price for 3 of us and will charge DH an extra $15. (Without taking up too much space to explain, DH will have a little boat to carry his leg - which will be wrapped in plastic and put into a water-proofed bag).

Yhonny's emails were professional and very caring. I couldn't get any type of answer out of Carnival as how they could/would handle this.

I'll post when I return to let ya'll know how Yhonny handles various disabilities.

P.S. If this all works out as planned, I will tip this guy like there's no tomorrow. Too often we can't do things simply because someone doesn't want to take an extra step. DH doesn't really require any extra help, there's nothing we can't figure out. We just need a little wiggle room! DH is VERY independent.

The water wasn't cold - but "refreshing" when we went. By the time we were done hiking we couldn't wait to get in the water anyway. I'm sure the temp varies some depending on time of year.

I know I've seen this answer here before, but thought I'd ask you directly, gkeep.

What did you do with your passports while you were cave tubing? I don't want to leave them on the bus, I'm just not comfortable with that. I'm even less comfortable leaving them on the ship. I have a small waterproof cannister, that hangs around your neck, but it will only hold cash and a credit card. It's just not big enough for 4 passports. I looked at Dick's sporting goods and wasn't impressed with what they had. They were just fancy Ziploc bags, and not even as sturdy as a ziploc bag.

Archived