freestyle dining etiquette question

kroberst

If you are willing to be part of a larger table, what would be the protocol for ordering? For instance, if 2 of us get seated at a table that would hold 6, would/should you wait until the table is filled to order? If you don't wait, and a course arrives as others are being seated - do you ask the waitstaff to hold the food until the others' food is ready?

Trying my best to practice proper manners so would welcome your experiences!:o

Kathleen

If you are not seated at the same or reasonably similar time and the waiter comes over to take your order. there is no obligation to wait. The waiters can serve different courses without a problem. This can also happen if someone orders soup and an appetizer as well. Go with what is comfortable for you.

How refreshing to see an I-want-to-know-the-proper-thing-to-do question versus a how-much-of-a-pig-can-I-act-like question!! :D

But seriously........because people can show up at anytime during the set hours, I wouldn't wait for the table to fill before ordering. Like the other person said, maybe wait a few minutes, then if no one else has joined your party, go ahead and order.

A few minute wait would be polite.

It is also a good idea when they do show up to "allow" or "encourage" them to review the menu and order BEFORE going into long discussions about what they did today, where they are from etc. Those discussions in themselves can add another delay.

I second the other poster, what a nice surprise to see someone asking what should you do, and thinking of others vs. "How long do we have to wait for those other slugs to drag their butts to dinner?"

A waiter will hand you a menu and wait til others are seated.

I mean how long does it take to fill the table?

But we did a lunch and people already were done their apitizer when we were seated - wasnt a problem.

If you are willing to be part of a larger table, what would be the protocol for ordering? For instance, if 2 of us get seated at a table that would hold 6, would/should you wait until the table is filled to order? If you don't wait, and a course arrives as others are being seated - do you ask the waitstaff to hold the food until the others' food is ready?

Trying my best to practice proper manners so would welcome your experiences!:o

Kathleen

For dinner normally you will all be seated at the same. They group those that want to share before taking you to the table. They are not going to seat you at a table for 8 and hope they fill it up.

On the Spirit last September, 3 of us went to dinner in Windows. We asked for a table for 3 and the hostess asked if we wouldn't mind joining a single man at a table for 4. We decided to go ahead. (Always before we had said no, because we prefer to dine on our own and talk freely amongst ourselves without the awkwardness that usually comes when first meeting someone new.)

We were led to a table where this man was waiting. I don't know how long he had sat there, but hope it was just a very short time because he did wait to order until we arrived.

I saw this man several times throughout the trip, and he was always alone, so we dubbed him "the lonely diner."

On the Spirit last September, 3 of us went to dinner in Windows. We asked for a table for 3 and the hostess asked if we wouldn't mind joining a single man at a table for 4. We decided to go ahead. (Always before we had said no, because we prefer to dine on our own and talk freely amongst ourselves without the awkwardness that usually comes when first meeting someone new.)

We were led to a table where this man was waiting. I don't know how long he had sat there, but hope it was just a very short time because he did wait to order until we arrived.

I saw this man several times throughout the trip, and he was always alone, so we dubbed him "the lonely diner."

How flattering.

That's so sad. I feel bad for him.

The sad part is, even though we did chat up a storm with him throughout the meal, we never did find out what his name was. Therefore, to us, he became "the lonely diner".

Great question!

This will also be our first time, freestyle and I wondered as well.... We just love to sit at large tables and meet other cruisers... Out of all the cruises we have done, we have always enjoyed meeting other people at dinner... I am so curious as to how we will enjoy meeting different people each night, and how to deal with people being sitted at different times.... Myself, I prefer to wait so we can all enjoy the meal together....

Great question!

I agree...freestyle dining is the one thing that has had me a little nervous...I have always liked sitting with a group of people...I love getting to know new people...would it be appropriate when we go to dinner to say "either a table for 2 or you can put us at a larger table, whatever is most convenient"..

I agree...freestyle dining is the one thing that has had me a little nervous...I have always liked sitting with a group of people...I love getting to know new people...would it be appropriate when we go to dinner to say "either a table for 2 or you can put us at a larger table, whatever is most convenient"..

That's very appropriate. You might just check in by saying, "There are two of us and we don't mind sharing a table." Then see what they offer you. I'm sure they'd like having the option....makes life easier for them.

Archived