Cartegena Spain information requested

Hi

We will be on the Golden this fall and one of the ports we visit is Cartegena, Spain. Princess's web site only lists 3 ship's tours for this port none of which sound very interesting. What I looking for is people who have visited this port and can pass on some information on it, such as, do the ship's dock or is this a tender port? What is there to do in this port? Has anyone used a private guide in this port they would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give and have a great next cruise.

There is not a great deal to do in this port - it is a typical Spanish town with cafes, restaurants and there are some good shops but not a lot to see. It's an easy walk into town where you could simply take a gentle stroll. There are some Roman remains and the world's first submarine is on display. Apart from this, very little. I would recommend a tour - the beaches around here are good such as at La Manga. We 've never done a private tour but we always take the opportunity to recharge and have an easy day when we are here.

Marge M

:) I have been to Cartagena several times and I love it.

Each time we have docked and it is a very easy walk into town. On the way you'll pass a submarine on land which is a fountain. Cartagena is a big Spanish submarine base and this is on the left as you sail in.

There has been a "tent type" tourist office on the dock sometimes.

Cartagena is a fairly small Spanish town with some archaelogical sites and some shops. It is not in an area that has a lot to visit - personally I would have an easy day and sample some tapas.

We live in Spain so here are a few tips for eating tapas:

Eat them at the bar (some bars charge more if you sit at a table and some will only serve tapas at a bar.)

If you want better than a glass of "plonk" ask for rioja but this usually is taken to mean a better wine not necessarily real Rioja.

If you are not offered a tapa don't be frightened of asking for one.

Anything else you want to know please ask.

Buen viaje:)

we were in Cartagena last October. It is a lovely city. We walked from the ship to the castle museum and then down to the shopping area. Friends of ours got a taxi at the ship and toured around the city for a few hours and had a lot of fun.

Enjoy your day there.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Has anyone used a local guide and if so what was their experience? I have had limited success finding much information about this port on the Internet and usually I'm pretty good at doing that.

Thanks again and have a great next cruise.

Archived