Late booking questions June 9 TA

lbkjj

Just booked a category b2 guarantee for June 9. Last NA crossing was on a troopship. Great information as usual on this site. Several questions however

1. Is the ship leaving from Red Hook or Manhattan. The discussion on this point wasn't conclusive.

2. We have all our formal wear at our Florida home and we are in Vermont. My sense is I should have my tux and wife's gowns sent up for the trip. Formal still seems to exist on QM2 although it's disappearing on most ships.

3. I booked a flight from Southampton to Dublin at 14;50 day of arrival. ( Flight was cheaper than transfer to London). Is the airport close to the docks. I mapped it and it looks like 5 miles or so.

Thanks

lbkjj

Thanks Peter,

The NY cruise terminal website doesn't seem to differentiate between Manhattan and Red Hook terminals so I'm still unsure which one the QM2 is using.

John

Thanks Peter,

The NY cruise terminal website doesn't seem to differentiate between Manhattan and Red Hook terminals so I'm still unsure which one the QM2 is using.

John

Thanks Peter for the color decoding.

I've faxed off my registration forms to Cunard and ordered our formal wear to be shipped so we're ready for an elegant cruise. Haven't been on Cunard since a Black seas cruise on the Vistafjord in the late 1990's.

Now we have to plan the Ireland portion of the trip!

John

We booked about 3 weeks prior to sailing only because of a 5 day flash fare balcony cabin guarantee that our travel agent told us about. We won't know our cabin until departure!

I think it's risky to wait until the last minute if your dates need to be fixed but we are retired so it doesn't matter. Getting airfare back also may be an issue.

We booked about 20 days ago (for the whole 24 days) and got a very nice rate, but we did not get the category of cabin we wanted. We noticed that the July 2006 crossing also has a nice price.

Sure wish someone would answer my questions in another thread though.:o

PB, to answer your other question, yes, the King's Court is a specialty food area with a wide variety of foods. There is no charge. The drinks as I recall were orange juice, cranberry, coffee, and tea. There is an omlette station but it's very crowded usually. It's stiill a great place to eat. Getting to your seat is kind of like playing football. One must be quick and agile as you wind through the crowd. I'll see you in the Lions Pub June 9th after the drill. Thread

PB, to answer your other question, yes, the King's Court is a specialty food area with a wide variety of foods.

No, Kings Court is the buffet area but someone mentioned Chef's Galley for breakfast and that was one of my questions: isn't it the specialty restaurant? Open for breakfast? Extra charge?

I guess I didn't understand what you meant by "speciality restaurant". You need someone who knows more than I. To my knowledge the only restaurant where you pay extra is Todd English for lunch and dinner. They are not open for breakfast. Thread

No, Kings Court is the buffet area but someone mentioned Chef's Galley for breakfast and that was one of my questions: isn't it the specialty restaurant? Open for breakfast? Extra charge?

Hi

Within the food court (sorry King's Court) there are 4 areas (one of which is called Chef's Galley). During breakfast and lunch you can eat at any of them without reservation or extra charge. They open and close at slightly different times (I can let you have the times if youi really want) but all are open during the busy periods. One stays open "24 hours" (in reality 23 I think, closed 5-6 am). Chef's Galley serves afternoon/early evening meal for children. In the evenings reservations have to be made for 2 (at least, maybe all 4) of them, Lotus and Chef's Galley. There is no extra charge for Lotus, there is for Chef's Galley.

Hope this helps, and if I've mis-understood your question that's my fault, please correct me and ask again.

Kings Court

A casual dining venue for breakfast and lunch that at night is transformed, through lighting and special screens, into four intimate dining venues. Distinctive china, menus, wine lists and waiter uniforms will distinguish each restaurant. Lotus, which will serve Asian cuisine, including Chinese, Thai, Japanese and Indian. La Piazza, a 24 hour restaurant serving pasta, pizza and other Italian specialities. The Carvery is a deliberate nod to Cunard’s rich, British heritage. Here diners can enjoy the finest carved beef, lamb, pork and poultry. Chef’s Galley, where you can watch a master cook at work – then enjoy the fruits of his labours brought straight to your table. For Chef’s Galley, a fee of $35pp will be charged. Bar beverages are not included.

Archived