Car rental shuttles in Hawaii

slk230red

Does anyone know if the car rental agencies (Budget, Alamo, etc.) operate their shuttles to/from the cruise terminals in Maui, Kauai, Hilo, and Kona when the ships arrive? Or, do I need to call them when I arrive at the ports?

Thanks,

Dave

Thrifty Car Rental operates shuttles to all of them, except I am not sure about Kona because I did not book a car for there. I personally called them about all the rest of the ports however and there will be shuttles!

You may need to call, but I have read that Thrifty are there at the dock most of the time when the ship docks without having to call ahead. (I do not know about the rest of the companies, but I am sure sure will be.)

Thrifty Car Rental operates shuttles to all of them, except I am not sure about Kona because I did not book a car for there. I personally called them about all the rest of the ports however and there will be shuttles!

Thanks again, LAMBS2

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think Thrifty is at the HNL airport. How far does the shuttle take you to pick up the car? We have children with us and I'm wondering if we can wait at the airport. The guy told us to all get into the shuttle. Do the rental people mind if we have a large group in the car? We are used to siting 3-4 in the back seat.

I do not think Thrifty is at the HNL airport. How far does the shuttle take you to pick up the car? We have children with us and I'm wondering if we can wait at the airport. The guy told us to all get into the shuttle. Do the rental people mind if we have a large group in the car? We are used to siting 3-4 in the back seat.

Yes, it is. Well, it's a block or two from the airport to be precise. But close enough. I'd also agree with keeping your group at the airport with the luggage and 1-2 people going to the car rental agency to get the car and to come back. If you have kids in the backseat, please remember that Hawaii does have a seatbelt law for kids in the back seat - they must be buckled in (or in booster seats or car seats as appropriate) - if you have more kids than the number of belts, the police won't look too kindly on that.

http://www.thrifty.com/local/index.aspx?LocationCode=HNL

Spleen

I had heard Alamo would also pick up at the pier - and made ressies accordingly - but now my Maui reservation has changed to say that they cannot pick up at the pier on Tues/Wed.... which of course affects my sailing. Any recommendations? Think I should cancel that ressie and go w/ Thrifty?

Spleen: What is the age required to in a booster seat? My DD is 7, almost 8. My state requires her to be in booster seat until 8. She is rather large and it is not comfortable, but we do it. I was not planning on bringing her booster seat or renting one, but will if needed...

klguess: I was also planning on Alamo picking us up from the pier in Maui on a Wednesday, but I have not heard differently. How did you hear about this?

Hawaii currently does not have a booster seat law (it's in the works but not passed yet). Current law requires that kids under the age of 3 be in a car seat and under the age of 18 be buckled up - but no actual requirement as to how long kids need to be in booster seats. So your daughter will be fine in a standard seat belt (just make sure that the shoulder belt passes over her shoulder and not over her neck when it's buckled - might need one of those "adjusters" to help bring down the shoulder strap).

Spleen

i was looking to booking thrifty for a few hours in oahu when we return from our cruise before our flight leaves. I know they will pick us up at the pier, but when we drop the car off will they drop us off at the airport?

We were also thinking of sending our luggage with NCL through their pay for program to the airport and just using the bus to get around. When we are finished and need to go to the airport about how much would it be for a taxi from Waikiki beach or pearl harbor( these are the palces we are thinking about going to)?

For the places I wanted to see which option would be more doable? We have a flight that leaves at 3:30pm if that helps.

Hi Spleen,

Thanks for the advice. We will send someone to pick up the car and keep the kids with us, as we wait for the luggage. I will make sure the kids all get a seat belt.

We will be in Waikiki in August, and we have reserved a car already. You can always cancel it.

This forum is the best because of you guys!!

We just gor back from our Hawaain cruise and were very happy with Thrifty. As Blue Chip members they treated us "extra special" - the service was GREAT! No problems in Oahu. A shuttle from the airport Thrifty office met us at the pier after we disembarked. After we spent the day driving the circle tour of Oahu in our rental car we simply dropped our car off at their airport area office and they shuttled us right to the drop off area at the airport. No problems whatsoever. The cars were great and the price could not be beat! Gas is high in Hawaii. We spent an average of $3.50 per gallon, so be prepared for that. We always found gas stations and filled the cars back up before returning them to the Thrifty lots.

Archived