sunless tanners for your face

HMB1950

anyone have any luck with sunless tanners for your face? my body is very dark because i lay out everyday but i always smother sunscreen on my face so it doesnt really get any color. my face looks white compared to the rest of me. i'm scared to put sunless tanner on my face because if it turns orange i cant cover it up with clothes.

I use the same sunless tanner everywhere, including my face. I have not had any streaking, but I do blend it in very well. I also think the color is natural looking, and preferable to the pasty white I would be without it (with freckles and reddish hair I slather 30+ sunscreen on every day!). I use Banana Boat Vita-Sun and Nutrogena foam.

However, if the rest of you is tanned from the sun, it is posisble that a sunless tanning product will produce a different color. You could tryit and if it is differnt cover it with makeup or a wash-off bronzer.

Good luck!

Ally

I, also, avoid the Sun and I am very White, all over. Before a Cruise, I go to the Paradise Tanning Salon and get a 3-time visit for the spray-on bronzer. It is very even and looks quite natural looking. Therefore, my body matches my face. For the sun spots on my face, I use an occluder so that they don't get any darker. :o

As a Licensed Esthetician, I don't feel that there is much difference in products: just in the delivery systems. I use the least expensive I can find. Sometimes, Sav-On has a coupon sale, for their Generic Brand, and that's when I stock up. You want to use it up within a year, however. It does have a shelf life. :mad:

It surely is a great alternative to the Dangers of the Real Sun. I always wear SPF as well as a good hat that also covers my neck in the back - very stylish with a scarf on it.

Look into the Paradise salons - sorry, I forget the name of the product they use (the CruiseHeimers, you know). ;)

I have always had good results with the Avon sunless tanning cream for the face. So good that I stopped buying the body cream and use the face tanning cream all over my body. I avoid the sun like the plague but don't like looking like a ghost. ;)

:cool: Hi HMB:

For me, I use Neutrogenna in the tube, cream style. I wear it every day to work, so that way, I don't have to worry about "foundation." And I love the product. No streaking for me, and it looks natural, too.

Janet

I have never used a sunless tanning creme or spray, so I don't know much about them. Can someone please tell me how long does an application usually last, and can sunscreen be applied on top of it, or does it also act as a sunscreen? I am trying to decide also whether to get my own at the store, or to have it done at the salon. Both my daughter (13) and I will need it for our cruise. What do you all think?

Could someone please elaborate about the spray on bronzer from a tanning salon. Does it really look natural? Is it for all skin tones. ( I am olive-skinned but my legs are pretty pale) Would one session do any good? I dont want to end up looking orangy. I hate the thoughts of using a sunless product on my legs, it never looks right. Although I usually have luck using it on my face and arms. (I like Neutrogena and Coppertone Endless Summer)

I have wondered about the spray bronzers also. How do you get that exact line between the skin and the hair? So far I have just been getting into the tanning bed with my face covered and then use a quailty creme foundation darker than my complextion. I then round that out with a bronzed blusher. When you look at Paris Hilton, you just know that there has to be a better way. :D

We have been using the "air brush spray tanning"! It works so well compared to the sprayers that you stand in front of. This is a small compressor with a spray attachment. It sprays evenly. I like it for the face. I probably will do some fake and bake for the legs.

Princess Di: What is a occluder that you use for your face to cover the dark spots?

Hi Skittles,

In the olden days, do you remember having seen people walking around with a white nose? :confused:

This was Before we had SPF sun protection products. It comes in a tube and is thick. :cool:

Therefore, it is very easy to control and use as an occluder on just certain Spots - ZINC OXIDE - Remember? It is very cheap and water repellant. :D

You may be able to buy something more sophisticated, in a pretty package, at your Tanning Salon, but why pay the extra money? ;)

I would love to try the Airbrush Technique. When I worked in Publications, I worked with talented Artists who were very skilled in using it for altering and masking drawings & paintings. I've seen it on TV - I could search the Web for places near me. I'd like to compare it to the Mystic, which I have used.

BTW, the zinc oxide is very safe and benign and can be used anywhere on you body, including lips and, ahh, below the waist. Only place I would avoid would be the Eyes. :eek:

For CEV426 - I just got a spray on tan and was dubious about it. If you are thinking about getting one, remember to exfoliate your skin before you get the tan, as the dry patches you have will absorb the tanning spray more than the rest of your skin. I thought the results were pretty decent, but I think you have to get at least two or three to look "authentically" tanned. I plan on doing it again. The drawbacks - you smell like instant mashed potatoes for several hours until you shower - and most people will tell you to wait at least 6 hours before you shower or you'll diminish the affect of the spray. Patty

Navigator of the Seas - 7/24/04

What are the average costs of the spray? I think I remember reading that the spray would last around 5 days. Is that correct? If you have to repeat the process 2-3 times, it seems that is very costly for just a week of tan.

I tried the spray on tanning booth about 10 days ago. Only one application (so far) and I was very tan and it looked even and natural. I did exfoliate very well and I had put no lotion (except water based on my face) to help avoid any weird color patches.

I got a package of 3 sprays for $45 - a bit pricey to do all the time though!! A single spray was $19, and a package of nine was $99.

It lasted 6 days for the most part and wore off pretty evenly, some places (feet and underside of arms) I scrubbed with exfoliant to remove the remainders of the tan. I liked the experience, but I do find it expensive to do all the time.

One word of caution, they had me read something that said that chlorine can cause streaking. If you plan to use the pool on board the ship it may not be a good idea to use this type of spray booth.

Ally

Well MOST pools on board ship are sea water. So they have limited chlorine I imagine. The jacuzzi's may be fresh so beware there. Di also said in another topic, seawater may have the same effect and fade your tan, so you may want to take along a tanner to supplement halfway through the cruise.

Nancy

The other Casper the friendly ghost.

I've tried the Mystic Tan spray-on tanning booth and found that the color was very natural and tan (but I requested level 2 -- the level makes a difference in your results) It was quick & easy but alittle pricey...$20/per visit. The tan lasted about a week. I also tried Hollywood Tan spray-on tan, not as good a result -- didn't last as long, color was alittle less natural and the booth was so small and claustrophobic. As far as sunless tanning lotions, I found that the cheapest, No AD Sunless tanning, sold in KMart/WalMart, worked the best. I huge bottle was less than $5, the color was natural and you could apply it every 4 hours if you wanted to. Those were my experiences w/sunless tanning. The only word of caution I would add, from my dermatologist, is that no "base" coat (real or artificial) is sufficient to protect you from the sun and you should apply sunscreen. :)

Archived